Look what runs on DOSBox (circa 1989 content)

Probably old news to most of you. An old college buddy and I were texting today about playing 688 Attack on my Compaq luggable in 1989, and for kicks I d/l DOSBox. And yeah, 688 Attack Sub runs just like it did 28 years ago. Just on a much bigger monitor :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Available via a web browser Dosbox emulator too, if you like games of that era.

A classicā€¦

4 Likes

Wow, I loved that game!

Iā€™ve got a copy of aces of the deep in a dosbox folder and still play a bit every now and then. Brings back memories :slight_smile:

1 Like

I like this old games especially of course the old sims. It is amazing what content they were able to squeeze into that small amount of data e.g. 2MBs

It will be very cool if you guys can find and ā€˜forceā€™ some developers from that era to write some articles for mudspike. Like retro-reviews (with many insight comments oc) of their own games they developed :wink:

Yeah my memory of that Compaq was that it only had 1 MB of RAM with an open slot. Monochrome display and an output to color display. Looked like a little shoebox.

It would run my second computer game which got me into flight sims, F-19 Stealth Fighter.

1 Like

This is the first game I bought with my own money. Spent ages on it.

I still have my boxed version with manual.

1 Like

I also spent ages on it and probably destroyed a relationship over it :slight_smile: Was living in Munich at the time, and my German girlfriend couldnā€™t understand WTF I was doing with the little beige box into the wee hours. Would like to have some of that time back. She was hot!

4 Likes

I was so hoping it would work on my android phone browser! :smile:

It works on my phone but the lack of keyboard usually scuppers most things :keyboard:

1 Like

Yeah exactly.

Bluetooth keyboard

For those whom didnā€™t play, AKA wale detection :open_mouth: