Loving IL2 Tank Crew based on 1st impression... video

I’m loving IL2 Tank Crew, granted that’s based on my first play of the first mission of the campaign “Last Chance”… I got a old PC so had some framerate issues with the recording, but not the actual gameplay. Also still need to learn how to use the sights, I just winged it and it worked.

Highlight clips from the first campaign mission…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iE63b-ON94

8 Likes

From the looks of the video you were not zoomed in as far as possible. Try using the mouse wheel to scroll the view in and out.

Wheels

1 Like

I did, and was… but couldn’t find the keys to adjust the range and elevation of the sight picture… still learning. Thx.

1 Like

Does look good, it’s next on the list to get.

1 Like

Here are the defaults.

E - Start engine

Cursor Keys - Movement (the game automatically translates these simple direction commands to pushing pedals, switching friction clutches and changing gears).

RAlt-C - Close/open hatch (riding with open hatches is obviously more dangerous).

LCtrl-C - Switch to gunner and back to driver seat.

RAlt-G - Switch ammunition: Armour Piercing / High Explosive / Machine Gun.

Ralt ; Ralt . - Adjust gunsight verticaly (range)

Ralt , Ralt / - Adjust gunsight horizontaly vertical (only on T-34)

Mouse Wheel or LShift - Mouse Wheel - Zoom in or out

T - Set turret to stowed position / Take control over the turret

2 Likes

How’s the enemy AI? I ask because I tried the tanks in iL2 and saw some enemy tanks moving through trees and fired at them (didn’t hit them) and they didn’t react, kept moving as they were with no turret turn etc.
Also how are the missions in the 2 scripted campaigns?

Well funny you should ask… I didn’t have comms last night, but I did broadcast the 3rd mission in one campaign, which did NOT end well for me, then the first mission of the other tank campaign, that ended well… the AI… well it sucks, but most does… it seems more manageable to me. Watch and see… I really can’t fiquer out the sights thou… as you notice.

1 Like

Man, bad luck with that shot @ 11:53. Must have been right between the hull and turret. As far as the sights, map range + / - to some stick buttons, which correlates to the pointer that rotates around the outside of the reticle distance marks for elevation. Windage is all on you trooper.

1 Like

Thanks… ya still learning… did another broadcast this AM, 2 campaign missions, 2 tanks… nothing went good for me. Actually got hit and taken out the exact same way on the first mission, again, lol. This time with commentary…explaining what I’m doing, what’s working, what’s not… and a lot of … “What the…” lol

Looks difficult on those flat, open plains with nowhere to hide. How are they hitting you from those distances lol I couldn’t see them if it wasn’t for the label saying where they were. Guess as you say, learning the sights…

that does look damn good, I think that might be my next il2 buy

I’m going to have to give this a go tonight or tomorrow. I’m sure there will be some twisted metal about, most likely my own.

Is there a full campaign coming like in the flying counterparts? Not just the 2 scripted ones.

1 Like

No mace… but I don’t know if will be added later…

Final video to share, the first 5 mins is just explaining the basic controls… then I do a mission in my campaign, with a surprise ending… this time talking through it… still looking to learn those sights thou, I know the keys to adjust, just not how to read them…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV8b0fJOQO0

4 Likes

Helpful vid. Thanks @Magnum50

Good vid @Magnum50 I’m getting the hang of the German sights slowly but still mostly guessing. @saghen was our pro gunner last night though, he was getting good hits at long range although I was worried about his willingness to shoot me…

4 Likes

there is a 90 degree caution zone for the front of my turret, enter at your own risk :grinning:

5 Likes