MacRobertson Air Race (2019)

Yeah. It is possible to complete it. Basically, it feels like there is a deadzone in the Y Axis when there is not one. It seems to manifest more when I hold the stick in one position for a while and since the SIAI-Marchetti SF.260 module that I started using for these final legs doesn’t have much in the way of trim, I have to hold the stick in one off’center position for long. I am able to land ok, however, so I will give it a good solid try at finishing over the next few days. :slight_smile:

I’m excited about that tailwind! :grin:

2 Likes

Awesome! Can you please calculate your groundspeed when you cross a checkpoint :smiley:

1 Like

That might be the ‘fastest lap’ of the race, right there!

1 Like

Hey @Sine_Nomine ! Nice to meet again someone familiar in these vast bushes of Australia :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Finally made it to Australia! After a few legs since my last post. It’s been mostly ordinary, until yesterday. I did my first night landing! :smile:

Jul 26 WARQ - WADD (Bali) 273nm in P-38

It happened again. Main tank ran dry. I could only switch to one side of auxiliary tanks. Really couldn’t figure out how to get both engines on…

Jul 31 WADD - WADB 214nm in P-38
Shorter leg to keep both engine running…

Leaving Bali

Next island has some interesting coastal lines

Passing WRRU

A narrow water body (not sure to call it a river or lake or fjord) points to the airport

Made it with both engine running :smile:

Aug 1 WADB - WADW 126nm
For this next leg, changed to C90B. Had always felt it’s a bit too large, and preferred to Barron. But it’s grown on me.

Had to pass some rolling hills. Should’ve approached from the other side.

The landing was a bit hard. But still in one piece…

Aug 11 WADW - YTTI

Leaving Indonesia

Lonely over sea

The sun is setting

Finally, land!

Arrived to the west of YTST, my originally planned destination. It’s already dark. Those lights at my 10 o’clock should be the airport.

Turns out, the airport has no runway lights… To the north, there seems to be some runway lights. That must be YTTI on an island if it’s indeed an airport.

I put on VR HMD for the landing. The night sky seems a bit over done with a lot of starts with same brightness and size. Nonetheless, it looks quite nice.
Luckily, it is an airport. Totally dark except for the runway

And the wind sock! How thoughtful… except I only saw it when almost landed

The master warning is on. Looks like reverse is not ready. I don’t know how to use it anyway. Hadn’t mapped a key to it. And I did run out of the runway a little bit. I must have not applied the brake positively after landed. When hit the button again at the end of the runway, it stopped pretty quickly. Luckily, it’s still quite flat.

Apparently, I didn’t have the landing lights on when landing :crazy_face:

Fun!

PS Sorry for the long post

8 Likes

It’s great! We can all live the adventure! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Awesome…congrats!

1 Like

P-38 Long range cruise.

Source: Charles Lindbergh and the 475th Fighter Group

Lindbergh talked with MacDonald. The colonel then asked the group’s pilots to assemble at the recreation hall that evening. The hall was that in name only, packed dirt floors staring up at a palm thatched roof, one ping pong table and some decks of cards completing the decor. Under the glare of unshaded bulbs, MacDonald got down to business. “Mr. Lindbergh” wanted to explain how to gain more range from the P-38s. In a pleasant manner Lindbergh explained cruise control techniques he had worked out for the Lightnings: reduce the standard 2,200 rpm to 1,600, set fuel mixtures to “auto-lean,” and slightly increase manifold pressures. This, Lindbergh predicted, would stretch the Lightning’s radius by 400 hundred miles, a nine-hour flight. When he concluded his talk half an hour later, the room was silent.

Wheels

6 Likes

Hey again ! We can fly in formation into Melbourne :wink:

2019-08-13%2009_25_43-Greenshot

Weather is great today, lets do it. Leaving Cloncurry

Visited again few strips along the route

Rivers with many river beds are realy common in this part. This is one of the tributary of Diamantina River with Kynuna strip

Further South East with more greener tones

And we are here, Charleville

6 Likes

I think I got less than 4 or 500 miles from the main tank… Did push the throttle quite forward to fly faster. Still, the range is shorter than expected.

1 Like

Oh nice, cheap scotch for me, pls :slight_smile:

2019-08-14%2008_55_15-

Charleville was deserted so I downloaded some pack to have at least few buildings saying good bye to me :slight_smile:

Boatman strip was on my route

I wanted to visit this place. Its called Bollon and the strip is interesting. Taxiway and turnaround area are hardened the rest is dust strip

and oc my favorite dust strips images :wink:

Out of interest googled Bollon strip and found some funny conversation on one forums.
Didnt know that the green small trees around this place are called Mulga. Also did you know that

Any Western Old town will have a Pub & fuel or they don’t have an economy and reason to exist. Some have a pub and no town

Just after Coonamble I also spotted Great Dividing Range. Thx @Sine_Nomine for heads up

I knew we were a bit left. This is Dubbo, not Narromine

Turned right and after while … joining long finals, RWY 11… :slight_smile:

And down at dusk

8 Likes

@Sine_Nomine according to the map you are somewhere in the bush right now, West of Narromine. Do you plan some overnight camping ? :wink:

1 Like

Trying to keep the momentum going. Done 2 legs to get to Darwin!

After a night’s sleep, I woke up to such an island. The previous night’s landing, if I had stopped a bit further down, the C90B would have become amphibian. And I must’ve camped by the runway. Wonder what the purpose is for this airport.

Per Wikipedia
Troughton Island is an island located off the Kimberley coast of Western Australia. The island was found and named in 1819 by Phillip Parker King. The Sir Graham Moore Islands Airline company ShoreAir Pty Ltd has opened and operated an airport on the island since the 1960s.[1] It has had weather records due to its location.[2] It is a reference point for hydrographic surveys.[3]
Huge thank you to the two folks on the island for letting me land. Wouldn’t be able to continue the journey without this stop.

Heading for YPKT, which was planned as just a waypoint

The electronic HSI for some reason got stuck. I turned it off and on, trying to “reboot” it, but that didn’t do anything. Meanwhile, the autopilot just turned the plane a couple of big circles. Better to just land on the first airport when hitting shore line again due east. Luckily, it’s YPKT.

The taxiway leads to nowhere. So I just stopped in the middle, trying to get the EHIS fixed.

I guess it’s something to do with this modded module with “remastered” interior texture. Switched back to the default C90b, things went smoothly. The fuel gauge problem I had had also was gone. Will just have to live with the lower resolution interior.

The Ortho I downloaded has some error on the west region, but starts to work at this point. It’s only ZL 14. Still, the sceneries are quite interesting. Wish higher resolution ones were available.

Arriving at Darwin.

Surprised this airport does not get 3d treatment.

Need some Aussie airliners here

7 Likes

Cool location ! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Dang Google street view isn’t up to date yet. taz

Wheels

The last leg should be done as you proposed. Next 4-5 days I am going to be away from PC also, lol :slight_smile:

Talking the rabbits I was reminded about that bunny from Monthy Python. In case that is the problem of Australia… :wink:

https://youtu.be/XcxKIJTb3Hg

… Holy Handgranade :smile:

1 Like

I’ll keep the beer cold guys. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

You are being too kind :slightly_smiling_face: I just keep running myself into silly situations :smile:

Despite my initial enthusiasm I am afraid this is not easily doable. I am UTC +2.
Also I decided to build ortho tiles for the remaining part to enjoy the country little bit more. And that will take some time.
So feel free to take the second place I would say :slight_smile:

Tested first ortho tiles with default XP overlay. Looks good from cca 3000m / 10000ft I would say. This was short hop from Narromine directly South to Peak Hill dirt strip.

Source: BI; ZL: 16;

Location of dirt strips will be much harder. This one is right behind that Peak Hill open cut gold mine.

4 Likes