Magic Leap - Dev Kit Launch

A set of stand-alone AR (Augmented Reality, as in you can see the real-world through them) glasses, where there’s been lots of mystery around but not much real reveals. So, here it is:

Product page:
https://www.magicleap.com/stories/blog/magic-leap-one-launch

Mainstream first look review:

This is not VR, but an AR like Microsoft’s hololens product. Can’t really see it taking off, but maybe there is a ‘killer app’ that needs to get made, and a dev kit is the first step to do that…

2 Likes

From the article:

“When you have a human working with AI, they always beat the AI. …”

Obviously has never seen me in a DCS dog fight against an AI opponent…just say’n.

3 Likes

These folks called me about a year ago to join. Wanted to, but didn’t want to relocate.

The potential is huge for AR. They are kind of the cart driving the horse though.
Last company I worked for made connected LED lighting for commercial use. Imagine a mesh network
with 300+ troffers in the ceiling and one of them’s not talking… Be cool to look up and “see” the problem.
Think a wireshark output as you look around.

The more connected everything gets, the more, better tools you need.

Keep checking on these guys.

2 Likes

Yes, or instantly have the explosion chart/schematic for what you’re repairing appear next to it. Repairing a car could become a matter of going through a real world DCS tutorial mission with highlights.

1 Like

Makes me think about Tony Stark’s Jarvis in the first IRON MAN movie…

1 Like

Exactly, the potential is mind-blowing.

2 Likes

Sadly so is the cost. For now.

1 Like

Eeh, maybe if you’d have a factory clean car with no significant damage and wear and tear. But a reasonably used average car is going to fool systems like this easily.

Modern image recognition is already much more powerful than you think, and it will only get better…

This is about the only useful function idea I’ve seen about this…much better than floating jelly fish–I can imagine opening the hood, telling the (incredibly embarrassing to wear) head set the car make, mode, year and see a kind of “overlay” of the engine…highlighting thing like the battery Oil stick, various fluid containers, etc. Once it is “synched” with your view, as you move around thecae, the overlay view changes with you. Want to change the spark plugs? A step-by-step tutorial/instructions come up right on the overlay highlighting each step…as mentioned, just like in-DCS aircraft training tutorials…plus maybe a Youtube like video in a small window…and/or an avatar that can answer questions like, “What does a Philips-Head screw driver look like?” Or “This is going to take a while. Please order me a pizza.”

That said, they need to “lose” the hand controller and work with either an eye tracker or voice system…or both. I can just see me getting to step 3 reaching for a wrench and dropping the hand controller into the engine somewhere…never to be seen again.

That said, I’m not in the “Mind Blowing” frame of mind yet. One need only look at how long it took movable type (introduced to Europe in 1455) to reach its full potential…literally a couple hundred years…of course they didn’t have the communications speed we have but still…these things take time.

…and they need to work on the incredibly embarrassing to wear head gear.

It’s also a lot worse then a lot of people think. Trust me, it’s being experimented with at MRO’s but so far nothing substantial has come out of it yet.

2 Likes

Embarassing looks didn’t stop the JHMCS. :smile:

1 Like

Or the makers of the Multipla. Or the Pinto.

2 Likes

Good lord, if a bulldog and a spider could have children that are cars, the multipla would be it.

1 Like

Italian designer cars! :wink:

1 Like

Well well well, hold your horses and un-bunch Italian car designers…
For each multipla there are 10 stunning pieces.

Ha - bet the totally blind nerd engineer who designed them doesn’t agree with you and thinks they look great.

1 Like

Once more I wouldn’t seen dead outside in VR, Track IR, and that ugly POS thing - but that is just me.

1 Like

Yeah…I walked down stairs after a flight once and forgot to take off myTrack IR head gear on my ball cap. I got a very strange look from a friend of my wife who eventually said, “So what are your antennas for?”

If you recall the movie Brainstorm, started out with a big ugly head thing and then Natalie Wood’s character developed a cool looking unit…that’s what they need to do.

3 Likes

Cree? I have a funny story about their South Durham manufacturing plant…