Metrea ...The future of Simulation?

T.B.S. is gone, there is no professional DCS anymore.

2 Likes

Agree. But I’m pretty sure that it is what we aren’t seeing that is important
 what systems are modelled and the capabilities (and limitations) of those systems
 and not just Blue force, As well as the text at 1:27, did anyone else notice the J20 at 1:32

I can almost guarantee that anyone who doesn’t have the necessary security clearance and need-to-know will never get to ‘play’ with the NOR system.

1 Like

Don’t you think this may just be Meta throwing money is it panics at the world’s lukewarm reception the the VR metaverse? My guess is that they are throwing pasta at every possible market to see what sticks.

I don’t think that this is Meta, as in, the company of a certain Mark Zuckerberg.

1 Like

Yea
It looks like they changed their name from some time ago to Metrea

I hope you’re wrong, but know you’re probably right.

Yeah, saw that video earlier today. Thought it was complete BS. I mean he is speculating about a complex industry and a company based on a few minutes trailer. Really?

4 Likes

:sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:
Yes!!..Lots of Speculating
But what if he’s Right??? :face_with_monocle:

Same here. He even starts by ‘admitting’ that it is aimed at and being developed for the Military
 so I stand by my original comment

with the following caveat: Maybe, one day we will get a ‘dumbed down’ version for public consumption?

If so (but I wouldn’t hold my breath) then yes, it will compete with DCS in the same way MSFS competes with X-Plane (and vice versa). IMHO a little competition with DCS in this space can only be a good thing, but both will continue to have their strengths and weaknesses. There will be a few die hards who will ‘call for pistols at twenty paces’ defending one or the other, but most of us will be like the girl in the taco ad

FailingGrippingAardwolf-max-1mb

7 Likes

Speculating
 All we can do while we wait for the Strike Eagle release :joy:

4 Likes

:sweat_smile: :pray: :sweat_smile:

1 Like

It would be nice if he’s right. I don’t normally criticize videos but I had to end this one early. Too much speculation for my liking. Still, nice wishful thinking
 :grin:

3 Likes

So this is Somewhat Interesting.This is a post from @Tricker posted on his YouTube Channel.He is a DCS Enthusiast /Tutorial/Content Creator and Real World Airline Pilot.
As far as I know
He has no Military Affiliation or background.
:face_with_monocle: :face_with_monocle: :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

Meta/FB came to Meta/Metrea and bought the name for $20mil.
I’ve got friends in the company and got the info from them.

Metrea has a large stake in military training. From simulation to actual flying. They own 4 of the former Singapore KC-135s and are on contract with the USN for tanker support.

5 Likes

not an expert here, and not a DCS fanboy, but that NOR doesnt look really good in comparison to DCS F-16 trailer. too sterile in the air, not many animations, 
 like nice graphics engine demo. oc is about whats important for the customers and about money. after some initial customers they will have the funds to up their game I would say.

1 Like

Yeah, I mostly agree with you. Specially regarding the terrain at altitude:

This doesn’t look any better than what we have in DCS.
The lighting also doesn’t look really “next gen”

Once again, you could take this screenshot, post it on Hoggit and nobody would notice it’s not DCS.

Even though it’s my primary sim I wouldn’t consider myself as a DCS fanboy either. Thruth is I’d welcome a competitor. But I just don’t understand the hype surrounding NOR. Let alone the fact this isn’t advertised for civilian use it seems a lot of people are forgetting that this is a carefully crafted trailer and it really doesn’t show much. No way to know anything about performances, AIs, flight models, system fidelity, weather, etc.
They seem to think just because it’s using UE5 it’s going to be better across the board and I just fail to see where are the actual hard evidences for such a claim.

With all that being said, it should make ED wonder why are so many people willing to jump ship in the blink of eye. It might be a good idea for them to be a bit more transparent about the challenges they are facing with AI and perfomances, explain why something that works in IL-2 wouldn’t work in DCS. What are the strenghts of the DCS engine, what can be done in DCS that cannot be done anywhere else. Maybe let the 3rd parties chip in too. After all, unlike ED, they have complete freedom about the platform they pick for their products. So why did they chose DCS?

2 Likes

It truly should, but until it starts, it’s only a blip on their radar. Commercially, that is. Mil side, maybe a bit more. It depends on how well the avionics are fleshed out.
Not getting into a long tirade but only strong competition will bring to light what you’ve mentioned. Until then, its internal.

Mil simulators aren’t about the eye candy like DCS is. They’re very system heavy to train to checklists and safety procedures. The really in-depth modeling is at the airbases/airports. Per FAA guidance, our KC-135 OFT had to match the home airbase pretty accurately. Plus any outlying transient airfields (Al Udeid, Al Dhafra, Mildenhall, etc) And if something changed that was part of a NOTAM or permanent addition, the simulator database had to updated within a set period in order to maintain it’s certifications.

4 Likes

I wont get into it in detail on here, and save the 5 pages of text,
But here are the highlights on why this video is just laughable.:

A. NOR is not the software, NOR is the platform,
Which consists of the Core Software, Specialized Aircraft, the Motion System, Network System, the HOTAS, and a few other parts. Modulized for Military Contract orders.

B. NOR Platform will be for government contracts only, not home consumers.

C. The Video, is Marketing, Most of the shots, are of single ship, single items, fly by’s, pans, close FoV Shots, Maxed out quality or rendered scenes for the video. notice there’s not a “Actual in Game Footage” tag anywhere.

D. The Terrain/Object Detail was sporadic,
One shot the terrain is something you’d never before seen in a sim, another shot it looks like FS2002.
One Part of an aircraft that you’ll rarely see, You have 1 million polys on a tire and LAU127 Launcher, but the slat of the aircraft is 500 polys with a 256x256 normal map. (and in direct view from cockpit).

E. Half of the Explosions that were praised were Stock Adobe After Effects Explosions added on top of the video frames.

Honestly the only thing that would put NOR above DCS is the Core and GFX Engine are new and multi-threaded, so in VR, you’ll likely get that full 200 FPS at P.D. 1.5x.

But even that advantage would be shortlived.

6 Likes

Crushing I Love You GIF by MOODMAN

5 Likes