Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

Yeah, same here. I think I will mostly use it for community treks like the christmas flight. I don’t give a rats’ posterior for most of the default planeset, but that weather, those mountains… Easily worth what I paid for it.

1 Like

The weather and lighting are probably some of the most compelling aspects of MSFS. They are so much improved over FSX/P3D variants that it is almost unrecognizable. For a decade, X-Plane held the high ground with regards to lighting and ambiance (in my opinion), but MSFS has probably surpassed a modded X-Plane at this point. The low light dawn/dusk times with some hazy mist and clouds really gives the proper feel of being in an atmosphere…very well done. If only we could have the flight and systems fidelity of X-Plane available…as so far I’m not very impressed with most of the complex planes in MSFS. The single engine stuff is pretty good…the DR400, analog 172, and a few others really provide a nice opportunity to explore the sim, scenery, and weather.

3 Likes

Those words, written by anyone else would ring simply fascinating.
But coming from a real world pilot, and you of all of them, Chris— that makes them enthralling…

Goshdarnit, I have to quit this “being poor” thing, it wasn’t that much fun.

1 Like

Based on what I’ve read from you here - you’re probably not going to be happy with MSFS2020. Or at least regret the money you spent. Just a WAG.

I hesitated myself. It’s been gathering virtual dust since the first week I bought it.

It is pretty, on a 2D monitor. Thing is, I care for neither of these two things. More accurately my threshold for ‘pretty’ is lower; I’ll gladly trade a high-res picture for the sensation of actually being in the aircraft. Just me though.

DCS frustrates me daily but it is deep enough so as to never bore me. The potential that remains unfulfilled is the frustration.

Flying is flying - anything - virtually speaking. But with MSFS, XP, FS2, Aerofly, etc, once you get past the graphics they are successive navigation and landing challenges (DCS does this too). In DCS I do find carrier landings to be very hard to acquire and maintain proficiency in.

If they weaponized MSFS (or XP, etc - I feel like a movement as this is about the 5th time I’ve typed that), and the performance in VR was there (I doubt it will be) - I’d drop DCS quick. DCS is adequate in VR right now. but barely.

Now, my wife, being a woman, would say I was just being an over-grown kid, wanting to shoot things and blow stuff up. She’d be correct.

3 Likes

You caught my fears perfectly.

It’s pretty in VR too. :shushing_face:

Don’t tease me.

1 Like

cat laser1

2 Likes

Naq cresbezf orggre guna QPF

Not much longer bud. The worm will turn.

Later you might look fondly back on ‘being poor’ as a thing. I know I do. It has taught me many a rich lesson in life and made me a better, more careful and conscientious man. It’s also cured me of the fear of being poor, as I know I can do it and survive and climb out of it. No boss now can hold sway over me, for I am free of the fear of poverty.

This is easy for me to say as I am no longer poor. While you’re there, it #$#$ sucks. Hang in there.

1 Like

Well put.

I know this wouldn’t have meant much to even me, coming from my future self, but: when I got to the point I could afford, within reason, pretty much whatever I wanted, it dawned on me that I didn’t need any of that stuff. And didn’t really want it.

It’s the Simple Things.

1 Like

Let’s just say I wish I didn’t have a heart attack every time the car makes a funny noise or I have to bring it in for the annual checkup.

Or when I have to pay insurance- or braces for my daughter… you know- I’d be glad to have a modest life really.
Not be rich, just not being always in the brink.

2 Likes

This is so true. So very true. I wish I knew this when I was younger.

2 Likes

That is such a drag. Literally. It’s been shown in multiple studies and reproduced, that being on the brink, constantly having to worry about paying the bills puts such a drag on a person that their performance in a whole range of pursuits suffer. From taking complex decisions to long range strategic thinking to basic maths. Poverty takes a toll on your IQ.

Once you have your ducks in a row and you have built up enough of a reserve to not have to worry about the car battery dying, and enough cash flow to not have to worry about keeping that reserve filled, it’s going to be such a relief. And suddenly you’ll find you’ll have more “brainspace” to do all the things you used to be good at.

Something to look forward to. I for one look forward to happy-go-lucky unburdened Komemiute in our midst. It’s gonna be a riot!

6 Likes

That’s really appreciated. :slight_smile: Thanks.

2 Likes

It really doesn’t last forever bud. It might feel like it. But it won’t

1 Like

Time is relative, especially to the human brain. Joy is fleeting, pain lasts an eternity.

1 Like

Two things are certain imo

1. we all dream, now and then, of becoming wealthy
  2. [as @jross already mentioned] we dont need most of the stuff we dream of
1 Like
1 Like

I’ve hopped in and out of this thread, was really excited for MSFS during Alpha and Beta which I participated in, bought the full version, marveled at the cloudscapes and lighting while struggling to fly anything, but eventually even with modded default aircraft, I was just not happy with it.

It was only after constant wishful dabbling with MSFS did I realize just how good X-Plane 11 is. An example is flying the Caravan around Anacortes in Washington last night. The latest MSFS “update” came out so I was excited to give it a try and fly a circuit. Then I tried X-Plane and with ORBX installed and Enhanced Clouds (free) I have to say the visual experience was only marginally better in MSFS. But it’s the flying that counts and X-Plane is in an entirely different realm. It is leagues ahead.

I then launched a bush flight in Alaska in MSFS at sunset and it looked more like Vietnam than the frozen tundra I was expecting. Everything was literally lime green. I checked the weather and there should have been snow on the ground. If there are no season in MSFS, then what’s the difference between it and X-Plane with Ortho? Plus, the sub par flight model?

So, as I’ve done since launch, I’ve shelved MSFS and will dabble again no doubt in the future. In the meantime, I’m going to continue buying planes, like Thandra’s new Beaver, and fly them in the far superior X-Plane 11. Oh, and also DCS which is equally or arguably better still

MSFS will get there, but like so many predicted, it will be a year or two before it becomes the sim of choice.

4 Likes