Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

Anyone remember the Edwards AFB tour with Mr. “OUCH! My back!” as a passenger?

3 Likes

Wasn’t he a general or something? God its all flooding back!

I enjoyed the one where you land the J-3 on the bus - and the flour dropping one. Amazon Trek was awesome.

1 Like

Oh wow…this video…LOL…

2 Likes

Let’s re-create this. Mountain or island hops!

2 Likes

It certainly is the prettiest sim I’ve seen in a while. For me, the question will be: what will we be able to fly on it… and will third parties support it?

2 Likes

I thought I’d add, I hope they have a dedicated server. I will definitely run one if they do.
ATC tower play would be good again too.

1 Like

And it certainly makes you wonder what ORBX / ActiveSky and those type guys are thinking about this.

2 Likes

DCS is going to have to step its game up, I saw giraffes in there.

5 Likes

I guess we can expect WMR integration… :vr:
I’ve spent many happy days with different iterations of MSFS.
Happy to see MS getting back into the genre.

1 Like

My question - how’s FM? DM? MS always staggered in that department.

5 Likes

The trailer looks pretty cool. But…this is Microsoft. Since this is crossplatform, perhaps this will not be has realistic as some people here hope. If that’s the case and if it’s a compelling sim-lite, then it’s probably okay. The more realistic folks still have x-plane and p3d. If it gets more people interested in flight sim, it’s a good thing for the genre itself.

5 Likes

I think that’s Bing Maps aerial and lidar elevation data. Microsoft own that, so that could give them a boost in the scenery market for sure.

2024 Headline: “Microsoft Abandons FSX - Team Devastated (Again)”

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Man I hope so.

2 Likes

The question is going to be will it be open to third party developers or will it be closed down and largely un-moddable? I’m not sure how the big developers feel about Lockheed Martin and the whole very dubious licensing of that. I mean, they’ve gone with it and seem to be doing OK…but a base Microsoft platform (like FSX) might be more appealing to them. I can’t afford yet another full on sim though…LOL…at some point I’ll need to choose a horse.

FM was always “OK” in the 97th percentile of normal operations. Just flying around and doing your thing was pretty good. Even stalls were OK. But if you got funky at all…like really aggressive aerobatics…those look-up table type FM outputs sorta went to pot. You could easily see that if you took any of the original planes and put them on a knife edge and then used rudder to try to cant the nose “upward”…it just didn’t work. Some planes have enough rudder, thrust and ram air fuselage lift to be able to do that, but it didn’t work in FSX/P3D with stock aircraft modeling. But again, that was OK if you were just flying around like a normal person and not a madman like @smokinhole. :grin:

Would suspect this is going to be streamed, as in how Azure comes in to play. You might have a local ‘cache’ of data on your PC, but this puppy is likely to be a service thing. It would explain how it’s going to work on the XBox with its tiny amount of RAM (compared to PC simmers).

Cloud in the cloud… :cloud:

1 Like

If that’s the case, i would be interested to know how much data transfer there is. There are lots of areas that have data caps. Would they really want to limit the number of users?

If they are going cloud-based, wouldn’t be interesting to have a multiplayer setup like a bubble. Servers based on locations in the sim world As you fly in that area, other users would see each other. Ah, to dream.

1 Like

The next XBox is rumoured to be going this ‘Onlive’ streaming route, so it would fit with that. It is a problem for poor or limited net, but they really want to use these massive data centres for gaming, either at the GPU or just plain data level.

In some ways it works, in that rather than us all have 12 TB of ortho & detailed scenery then we just stream it down and pay per chunk or on demand. It does throw bad internet users under the virtual bus though.

Also, I’m just speculating and am often completely wrong.

1 Like

Uh oh…I’m in trouble now…

reply1