Microsoft Flight Simulator - Post launch impressions

People complaining about the planes behaving unrealistically… But it could be worse…

ezgif.com-video-to-gif

7 Likes

I’m willing to bet a decent amount of the scenery issues can be fixed globally at the AI/machine learning level though, so figure that helps. That’s one of the main advantages of machine learning :slight_smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=278&v=M_K1cZF_kRo&feature=emb_logo. Around 3:48 he goes over the search function, which can bring up Points of Interest as well. Not sure how many things are considered a POI or not, but it’s a start.

1 Like

This seems to work finding the Lat/Long co-ordinates in google maps and then going there in game…

1 Like

Some things to play with in the settings, as the presets are kind of wack:

• The Data / Online settings can cause stutters due to connectivity, even though the app is meant to fall back gracefully. To narrow it down try switching OFF at Options / General / Data (tab) / Online Functionality. Usually it’s the ‘Live Real-World Air Traffic’ causing issues, but switch them on one by one to see.

• The Aviation Traffic has a LOD bug that eats VRAM. Again, to narrow it down, try flying a Flight Set-up with no Multiplayer / AI traffic. The ‘Flight Conditions’ page should look like this:

• The vehicle buzzing around default values are too high for 16GB of RAM. Try turning down Airport Life and Land and Sea Traffic down to 20 (from 50).

• MSFS due to the way its Rolling Cache works is really susceptible to Virus Checkers causing frame jitters. Try putting an exception in for MSFS file locations or turn it off to narrow things down.

• The Rolling Cache is a bit buggy, and can cause frame drops. Try turning it off if you don’t have an internet cap. It’s here at the bottom (your data usage will grow, depending on where you fly), but you can view a tracking total number on it:

• For a 1070 try the Anti-Aliasing set to FXAA.

If after all the above things don’t help, knock the Options / General / Graphics / Render Scaling down to 80% - most people are hard pushed to see the difference and it helps a lot on VRAM.

(I’ve got some more of these that are just for general hardware, so will update here - Performance Tips so it hopefully gets found more easily in the future)

11 Likes

I put the tree hack here

It’s the release build, so figure it’s ok to let people play around. There’s lots to fiddle with for sure, and not more Alpha NDA stuff going on.

5 Likes

And this right here illustrates why we need to the ability to ‘like’ posts more than once. Thank you, Brave Amphibious keeper of flight sim knowledge!

3 Likes

So I set up a flight from KJFK to CYYZ. I have 32GB of RAM and while loading the scenario my RAM usage monitor kept going up and up and up to like 22GB and then the sim just stopped working. FS2020 will gobble up ALL your RAM. :slight_smile: I thought, “Oh no, I’m going to have to have a “Virtual memory” paging file again!”, after at least 5 years of having none! I set my NVMe M.2 page file to system managed … worked like a charm.

FS2020 is a resource hog, but in a good way … if you have the resources, it treats you nice.

3 Likes

Great tips, I will have to experiment with turning off the rolling cache as the sim is pretty fluid most of the time, stuttering occasionally.

Also seems Azure text-to-speech servers used for ATC voice are overwhelmed by the amount of players, you can use offline mode which uses Windows built in text-to-speech feature (bit more robotic imho).

In the meantime here’s short flight I took in the wilderness of Alaska yesterday:

2 Likes

Are landmarks still WIP? I was flying around Tokyo and there’s a ton of important landmarks totally missing, with a lot of it filled in with generic rectangles for buildings.

There‘s so many of them, I guess it will be WIP forever - and a source of income for add-on devs.

3 Likes

I hope my data streaming isn’t messed up…Tokyo Tower, Fuji TV, Rainbow Bridge were all in FSX but they’re missing when I fly FS2020.

Interesting thing is that the Bing Maps app in Windows in Road mode (not in Aerial mode) does contain a simple 3D model of many of important landmarks (check for instance the Buckingham Palace) but these are missing in the sim.

Sure, many of these models are perhaps too simple, but at least from the distance, they would give the city a nice skyline :sunglasses:

I admit I was a bit surprised/sad about Frankfurt in the same way.
The airport is handcrafted and pretty good, but what kinda ruins the immersion is that the skyline of Frankfurt (which is visible from the airport) is very wrong. If I was the one doing the airport scenery I would include mediocre quality models for the five most important skyscrapers near the airport, even if they are technically not part of it.
You can even leave most of them generic, but you need the one with the pyramid on top and one or two others, and people will say “yep, that’s Frankfurt”.

Edit: this stock photo shows it nicely. It is about the general shape of a few buildings. They can be relatively low poly.

I tried @fearlessfrog 's suggested settings changes tonight, but performance is still terrible. Even the menus are running at 1-2 fps. I tried the first ab-initio training and at times i was getting 5 seconds per frame. Big stops and slow-downs and unplayably jerky. It’s a mystery. Something not right in my rig or summat.

I can play IL2 and DCS in VR no probs at pretty high settings, but this…

I double-checked my specs - my i5 2500k is running at 4 Ghz, my 16 gb of ram is DDR3 at 1333 Mhz.

Have you tried pushing the 2500k a bit further and do you have an XMP profile?

There’s not much you can do beside that, the 2500k is simply too old to run MSFS2020 these days. Mine is barely getting along.

Cheers. i might try pushing it to 4.5. I moved the sim to my SSD (thanks Steam for making that easy) and it was a somewhat smoother experience. Dropped to medium and with V-Sync on (seemed to perform better this way) it would start out reasonably smooth, but within a minute would stutter and develop hangs of up to 5 seconds or more.

I don’t have any XMP profiles running - I’ll check that out.

I’ve been planning to pull the trigger on a new PC for a while now - this may make it a necessity.

Look at the LOD’s for terrain and objects. Dropping them low and then slowly incrementing them to an acceptable level seems to work for me! XMP profiles help optimize your memory with your CPU. The 2500K is very overclockable, many people run them at 4.6ghz plus depending on cooler.

It looks like MSFS2020 likes threading quite a bit, someone with a threadripper CPU did some testing by disableing threads and cores and performance dropped down a lot. I think that is why you see a lot of complaints performance wise with 6000 and 7000 series intel i core CPU’s, they barely had any change in architecture or core count since the 2000 series and then AMD busted on the scene with ryzen.

Anyway, it will require some thoughts.

2 Likes

Appreciate all your help. I pushed the CPU up to 4.5. Couldn’t enable XMP on my board - didn’t have any options to choose a profile, only Manual and Auto. Still strange performance. Sometimes smooth, sometimes slow and constant stutters and hangs. Even between reboots with the same settings performance will be bewilderingly different. Stumped.

It also never exits to desktop cleanly, always stops working and has the be closed. Just not meant to be for my old system I think.

Out of morbid curiosity:
How does the live weather look right now if you fly over California? Did they use fog to replicate the smoke from the forest fires?