MMJoy PCB design

Hey there @TheAlmightySnark
Negative ghost-rider, (the pattern is full). :sunglasses:
have a gander directly under the 74hc165 chips, on the reverse of the board
ResNets… (hard to pick when the SMD stuff all looks pretty much the same)
also added in bypass capacitors… maybe overkill, but trivial cost :nerd_face:

unless I’m missing you’re point entirely…

1 Like

Nah I think you got it, I was looking at this picture:

And seeing all those switches unbounced made me a bit worried!

Looks like a lovely board that ought to help a lot of people!

no worries, had me worried for a second… :fearful:
that picture was just to show how to wire up the little JST connectors that will come with the board to any swtiches you want to connect to. The board will handle everything else

maybe this will clear it up

it’s easier to see in the BUS modes

the switches coming in through the connectors are connected to the respective pins of the 74HC165 Shift registers

and each of the pins of the shift register is connected to its own Resistor Network (on the reverse of the board)

hope that makes it a bit clearer

cheers

3 Likes

Yep clears it up!

Do keep in that mind that the 165 may have internal pull down resistor which would in theory allow you to eliminate the register bank, though I think I once accidentally ordered the fancy ones so… yeah…

1 Like

We did research these 165’s and werent actually able to find any with internal resistors, hence the resnets.

Originally we were planning on offering it as a complete DIY kit and were trying to limit all the SMD components to 1206 to make it a bit more managable, but we couldn’t source an SMD resnet in that size so we opted for 8 individual 1206 SMD resistors (per 165) …

which chewed up a lot of room, so we ended up ditching that idea and went with the resnet as illustrated

2 Likes

And I thought my design was sooo tight…! :laughing:

3 Likes

oh hey! - thats cool @Troll
I didnt even realise you had created one - kudos dude
(finger on the pulse - I have…)

i especially like the line of female pin headers so that you can drop in a new controller board if anything goes wrong, i did a similiar thing on my A-10C UFC panel design

3 Likes

Have you thought about making ”satellite” Shift register boards? I did some smaller PCBs for mounting inside tight compartments like handles and such. At least put a connector there?

2 Likes

yes indeedy, :upside_down_face:
virt & I were discussing that very thing late last night/early this morning
we already have the pin headers for the programming module to connect to
virt mentioned placing another connector on the end to facilitate daisy-chaining another board to… similar to the method used in my wiki speel.

3 Likes

Daisy chaining is perfect, display chips like the max7219/21 use it too, lovely system!

1 Like

We’re getting closer to a final revision

we have changed the layout and dimensions (100mm x 50m) to allow for mounting all the (SMD) components on one side, as well as swap all the SMD components down to 0603, so that should the opportunity to have the boards pre-assembled arise it will be substantially cheaper to fabricate.

3 Likes

slight modification, re-oriented half the board so that USB connector is on the end.

8 Likes

Your PCB renders are so pretty, what application are you using?

1 Like

Its KiCAD, most of the previous renders have been standard, this last set though I used with Ray tracing turned on, sure comes up looking the goods.

1 Like

Wow it sure does! Where did you get those footprints? I’ve always have had a bit of fight with Kicad to get the right ones. Currently experimenting with LibrePCB which looks promising!

I like the fact that Kicad exports to FreeCAD, it’s becoming quite the opensource ecosystem!

I think that’s the main gripe with KiCAD is the libraries, lack of components and simple method of managing/updating symbols, footprints and 3d models.

As we progressed, any items that we couldn’t find and definitely need, I modelled myself following the dimensions from the datasheets and reference photos. We created our own shared library and keep updating our component list in there.

1 Like

Great effort! It’s a shame there’s no strong push to standardize this with Kicad, it’s probably not a very hot or exciting job when it comes to improving software.

A quick update, our pro-micro style test boards are almost done and we expect them back soon to test, once they are confirmed OK we will be shipping off the MMjoy board design for fabrication.(Yay!)

@Troll was kind enough to put me in touch with Mr. Mega_Mozg himself and he was gracious enough to allow us to pre-flash our boards with MMjoy2 prior to dispatch (once we are at that stage), which is a big plus for us & (I believe the novice) end users.

He has given us permission to place “Powered by MMJoy2” on the silk and we have also included the disclaimer “NOT FOR COMMERCIAL USE” to ensure that there is no confusion about these boards being specifically for personal use.

We believe that these simple aspects will make the boards that much more simplified for our target audience.

Now, it’s just a case of hurry up and wait… although there will still be some testing to perform as we have never run a card.with a maximised configuration, we want to make sure that all the connections will work in unison if the cards is populated to it’s maximum.

5 Likes

Awesome news! :+1:
I’ll buy a couple!

1 Like

This sounds very interesting, I could probably use a couple too!

1 Like