Motorcycle Racing Sim/Game Thread

Yeah it’s no option now when I can go for a ride for real. But ask me again in January when I crave for some two wheel action and I might get weak.

I skipped most part of the video after I’ve seen the controller work for a minute and tried to get the guy’s summary.

Decent looking build quality. I quite like it. A bit of counter steer to quickly get you into the lean around corners would be great for GP racing I assume as I’ve never done it. A good force feedback system would be phenomenal.

You counter steer at every turn except when you are filtering through traffic or other such slow manoeuvres.

2 Likes

That was surprisingly clear and understandable even for one like me that barely know how to ride a bike.

1 Like

Hey, back again. So, I received a Steelseries Stratus XL for Christmas and decided to pick up MotoGP 17 on Steam sale. Plan to get TT Isle of Man. Sadly, as I mentioned before, my last moto racer was GP500 and my skills in these newer games sux.

That said, can anyone offer any racing or handling tips for these games. I’m all over the track and can’t seem to hold a line.

Thanks,

2 Likes

Use the front brake to slow you down on the straights. And back of the pressure as you start to lean. Use the back brake sparingly and use it not to slow you down but to TIGHTEN your line. Think 75-80% front and 20-25% back. Set your line and entry point wayyy before the corner and try to stick to it. Bikes don’t like changing lines mid corner so set it and stick to it. If you must change use the back brake to tighten your line try not to widen it as it gives you less track to get back on the power earlier.

2 Likes

Don’t use the backbrake mid corner to tighten, either use throttle or the front brake to change the corner line, using and overapplying the back brake in a corner is extremely easy and will just cause the back to lock up and slide out.

This is a really good video to explain trailbraking.

3 Likes

Not gonna argue over this snark. Lots of different methods when it comes to riding sportsbikes and not all apply to every rider. I only say this because trail braking and changing lines mid corner on the throttle is what got me my metal elbow repair and my 5inch scar :joy::joy: if your on the limit at the edge of the front tyre and you try to change things the limit becomes hard tarmac sharpish! I’ve always used back brake and weight transfer off the front after that. Although this has its drawbacks like you said.

But you can only really transfer weight of the front by accelerating, and using the back brake at the same time is mostly a method to control the stability at low speeds… What you are doing seems so counter intuitive compared to any racing course that I know off… Are you really really sure this is the safest course of action? Honestly, I would say talk this through with an instructor because it sounds like you’ve opted for some dangerous methods to employ that would not get you out of a comparable situation that caused the accident.

I am honestly wondering, not trying to be condescending and I know there’s many driving styles out there!

1 Like

The thing you have to remember with sportsbikes is nearly all the mass is on the front wheel. If you head into a turn at FULL RACE speed and apply the front brake you will absolutely cause 2 things to occur. You will over load the small contact patch and wash the front out and if you don’t wash out you will not tighten your line you will WIDEN it. This is because as you apply front brake the wheel and bike will want to stand up. Trail braking is achieved by starting to brake on the straight and continuing to brake as the turn and lean commences. However proper trailing means brake pressure is LOWERED as the turn increases and released entirely at the apex of the turn where power is applied.
Now I absolutely agree with you that you can tighten your turn with the throttle. That’s correct and also its pretty much how motocross is ridden. However with a road sportsbike or race bike you can also relieve the pressure on the contact patch of the tyre at the front by ADDING slight pressure to the back brake. This has the risk of course of over application I agree but if done gently and progressively it will shift a small amout of weight rearward and depress the rear suspension. This then forces the back tyre into the ground harder and TIGHTENS the line. The release of pressure on the front to the back allows for more correction given at the front without overloading the contact patch.
Now In a perfect world you would accelerate down the straight. Reach a braking point. Trail brake into the turn up to the apex and be in a position at the apex to get on power progressively out the turn and you would be completely correct.

What I was saying in my original answer was basically if you cock it up into the bend you are more than likely going to be wide of apex. Rather than drive wider and risk a high side crash a little feather of the back brake can allow you to tighten up and get MORE power on earlier.
Hope that makes sense snark. Wasn’t accusing you of being condescending dude was just trying to explain that a 50 kilo 5’6 rider will always deal with a situation a far different to a larger or heavier rider.
I have been riding bikes for 27 years and I raced for 6 years at the clubman level and I’ve seen all sorts of things work and not work for different people and there is no right answer tbh lol.

2 Likes

Haha okay, now I see what you mean and fully agree, you’ve wrote that up quite well!

I think we drive something similar, my daily driver is a CBR 600 and I weight about 65kg so not that far off from you :wink:

2 Likes

Cheers dude :blush: by no means we’re you wrong just different techniques and application.

Gsx-r 600 and a Gsx-r 1100 here. Although they both frighten me now I’ve got a kid and I don’t ride them anymore really. I have a bit of a problem leaving bikes in standard condition so I get more fun tearing them apart and messing with stuff these days haha.
My 600 before and after (had this from new in 2002 and rebuilt it 2 years ago) and my monster 1100 which is currently in a billion pieces on shelves being restored gradually

BTW CBR 6. That’s a sweet machine dude!

3 Likes

What a beauties those are I say!

I’ve got a old 1992/4 F2(it has features of all three years… bit of a special beasty!) and it’s so much fun. I think my next bike will be an R6, I love the earlier 2000 styling on that one!

So if you are scared to ride them, why keep them? Purely sentimental or do you plan on hitting the road with them once more?

1 Like

My mate had an f2 such an easy machine to ride fast lovely bike.
Honestly at 1 point I had 9 different bikes. I gradually sold them off to fund the family and flying. I only keep the 600 because its the only thing I ever bought brand new for myself and I have had it so long and done so much to it and on it I just can’t bear to see it go. The 1100 I think deserves to be finished before I sell it. I only got a few bits do do to it and then put it back together. Those few bits have taken 5 years I think… But I’m an obsessive compulsive list maker so everything is catalogued and photographed so if anything ever happens to me my kid should be able to finish it lol.
My wife prefers me flying as she thinks I’m safer in the air than on 2 wheels. Her thinking is I take too many chances on the ground but I’m all business in the air (how little she knows haha)

Have you ever been on the track snark? I HIGHLY recommend a few sessions to improve your skills on the road

1 Like

Planning on doing so yeah, been riding a bit with mates that do and they’d think I would do fine. Though I am a bit hesitant cause I have no other method of transport. I am considering getting something of a second bike to become my daily driver and then tune up this one for the tracks. Though I have no garage or shed so all work done is at my parents place.

I think once I own a house with some spare space that it will happen then!

It’s absolutely predictable, you stick it in a corner and it goes. I’ve ridden a few modern racers too, and the biggest difference is the steering feel, the old F2 is quite heavy compared to those, you have to work it a little!

Haha, you maybe love that bike a tad too :wink:

My parents are both riders so I always grew up with a desire to ride! Though they had the standard 1970’ touring bikes from suzuki and Honda(GS’s and CB’s if I am correct).

2 Likes

Great plan mate. You can never have enough bikes!
It’s nerve wracking first time you go on track but you soon get moving after a lap or 2. One of my favourite memories in my life was a baking hot day at Thruxton circuit on a track day and me in this battle overtaking and being passed over and over again by this guy on a Aprilia rs250. This dude could really ride. At one point he came around the OUTSIDE of me on a bend and left me for dead.
Back in the pits I went up to him for a chat. HE WAS 14! I never ever claimed to be fast on a bike again after that lol!

1 Like

Hey guys, thanks. This thread turned out to be better than I expected. I’ve never been a rider due to my parents but I always loved bikes. My youngest son has the desire to ride and I think he eventually will once he finishes his service. He did a basic road course and got hooked. I have a buddy who was still riding at 63 yrs old. Who knows, I may just do a course. Anyway, thanks for sharing…

3 Likes

I haven’t played RIDE 3 but I found RIDE 2 to be an excellent representation of real riding. Bit of a gran turismo for bike thing going on as well. It’s probably quite cheap and definitely worth a look. I really enjoyed it.

Why not do a basic road course too and see if it’s for you? In my class there was someone that was 63 years old and learning to ride! Sure, the cone based exams were a bit trickier but he made it through eventually and is a fine driver!

Besides, your son might really enjoy riding with his dad together, I know I do with my dad! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think I will. That would definitely give me something else to do with my boys. We always did a lot together when they were growing up but I “aged out” on a few activities. I have a few months to research and prep. Thanks for the suggestion.

3 Likes