Movies with good air combat

The Hunters by James Saltier is a must read if have any interest in the Korean War. Superb novel.

1 Like

I remember watching a movie with a Duel between a biplane and a submarine…
I don’t think it was a fantasy movie, must have been based on real events.

I have very small bits and pieces of memories about it.
The biplane is actually a floatplane…
There’s a torpedo that was shot by the submarine but lodged itself on the river side?
The plane pilot got it and set it up on a frame so to drop it on the submarine…

The just of it was that in the end…

both the submarine and plane pilot die because can’t let go of their private war.

What was that?

3 Likes

Was it shout at the devil based on the book by Wilbur Smith?

1 Like

Uhm, not too far but nope.

EDIT: Found it! Murphy's War - Wikipedia

1 Like

With all due respect, The Hunters was written by James Salter. I have 2 copies on my bookshelf, of which I agree is an essential read for anyone interested in the Saber vs MiG era. Salter’s other works are worth a look too, although more in a general literary sense and not so much that of aviation.

What should be mentioned in this thread of course is the movie of the same name, staring Robert Mitchum. which follows the novel’s plot in only the loosest sense. A decent film though.

How have I never come across this… I will track down a copy with subs and watch this asap. It looks incredible

1 Like

What about … stay with me … Pearl Habour

Just clip together all the scenes with aircraft in it but cut out all the in cockpit shots. That’s a nice short movie :smiley:

Especially the Channel scenes are awesome.

1 Like

Well to be honest the thread is about good air combat and not realistic air combat so I must admit a lot of the flight scenes are cool.
The Doolittle raid is engaging.

1 Like

Doh, you are absolutely correct, no clue why I had Mailer on the brain, early post corrected to reflect the correct author. Saltier’s novels in general are all excellent, I don’t think I’ve read on I haven’t liked.

1 Like

I actually agree with you, and Pearl Harbor was in fact the exact movie that led to me add the last sentence of the OP :slight_smile:

Flyboys. The WWI pilots story is rather rote but the air combat was great and for me made me forgive having to sit through the rest. I only watched it once, though.

For some great stuff with Hornets–Independence Day. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

All the best ww2 dogfighting action is in the star wars movies and no I’m not being facetious.

3 Likes

I find it rather astonishing and more than a little bit disconcerting that this thread has gone on without a single mention of Iron Eagles IV!! :astonished:

Recognized far-and-wide as the most accurate film depiction of ancient T-6 Texans being pitted against modern F16s in air-to-air combat albeit the only film ever made of T-6 Texans being pitted against F16s in air-to-air combat

This film…this tour de force of cinematic art…is unequaled. That it was completely ignored at the Oscars was one of the most tragic and scandalous events of the 20th century. :cry:

3 Likes

Yeah, this. Bug Iv-a dreen binking 2day

1 Like

Migs were F84’s

We all know this is the best…
https://youtu.be/V2MHycco7uo

3 Likes

Tora, Tora, Tora. The whole movie is basically flying scenes, but the dogfight between the Zero’s and the P-40"s is beatifully filmed.

3 Likes

Doesn’t get any better than this…

”Born to Fly” (original ”Älskar, älskar inte”)

9 Likes

Your making @Victork2 salivate

3 Likes

I thought we were going to see one of my legendary Viggen landings…but he did not burst into flames and eject …so…maybe next time. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes