2 x Intel 660p M.2 2TB NVMe SSDs

Accessories:

Mediasonic SATA HDD 4 Bay Enclosure
4 x Toshiba X300 8TB 7200 RPM HDD

21 Likes

The envy is real :slight_smile:

5 Likes

That should be a screamer! Congrats!

Debating now whether to go forward for a bit with the stock equipment or go ahead and change out the M.2 drive from the 512 to the 2TB. If I decide to do that later - can I just move the OS and everything to the new M.2 drive without having to reinstall a bunch of utilities and Windows updates?

Now, now… Remember that you don’t build PC’s. Send that rig to me and I’ll help you swap components.

2 Likes

I can’t delete you fast enough Norton. To my great surprise, this was the only bloatware that was installed… Too bad though, I was ready to jump on that up-and-comer “America On-Line”…

2 Likes

Anyone had any positive/negative opinions on using Macrium Reflect to clone/copy/backup? I’ve been out of the back-up game for a long time. Mostly I’m eyeing it to move the current m.2 drive to the new one…

One thing I really like about the new MSI is it is about the size of a VCR (remember those?)…very small form factor. I’d actually be able to put it in a rollaboard luggage. Not quite as small as the Corsair One i160…but close enough…

1 Like

I did it on my laptop, it was pretty straightforward, after looking around for some tutorials

1 Like

That’s a badass setup, really like the case. If you plan on moving the OS drive, I would do it now, just less hassle.

Question though: if you are going to go full Jurassic Park on a rig (spared no expense), why not get the best RAM available also? I mean it may not be a noticeable difference, but there is plenty of 3200 MHz kits out there for not much more.

1 Like

Yeah…the RAM speed was the only real surprise (besides the price)…I’m not sure why they didn’t go with 3200. The Corsair One was nice in size, but used a Z360 mobo I think and it didn’t have the USB-C connection I was looking for. Every system had 80% of what I wanted, but lacked a couple things. That is where a home-builder gets 100% satisfaction whereas someone like me just makes up for the lack of 100% satisfaction with the ability to turn the thing on immediately (and send it back if it breaks).

I’ll have to poke around and see how challenging getting to the RAM would be.

2 Likes

Holy **** that’s a monster machine!

Honestly it probably wouldn’t be worth it now, just seemed out of place. That rig will have no issue annihilating frames for several years. If you do plan on swapping out the ram, it probably isn’t any harder to get to than the M2 drive you plan on switching out.

That whole setup is insane, congrats!!

1 Like

Are most people using wireless mouse/keyboard combos these days or is everyone still using wired stuff? I’m using an old Saitek Gamer’s keyboard that I love…but it and the mouse take up two USB ports.

Is moving a full DCS install from one computer to the other as simple as:

Disable all modules under Module Manager
Copy whole DCS World folder to new computer
Run clean and repair via GUI Updater

Does that sound right? In looking back I see @Toppometer had a couple challenges with it…but he got it sorted without having to redownload a bunch of stuff.

Wow. The 1809 Windows update takes forever.

Ran a Google search on that update and hopefully it is just being slow and not hanging up on you.
1809 windows update hanging - Google Search

Wheels

1 Like

It did complete it…! Whew…I was worried though. Now updated NVidia drivers and am going to do the MSI recovery image backup to USB prior to cracking open the case and adding the m.2 drives.

It is definitely a process getting a new build up and running.

The only way to keep the it quick is if you can simply migrate your boot drive to the new machine and update drivers for the new hardware. Windows 10 is good for “stock” drivers at least getting Ethernet adapters etc working.

For the change to an M.2, I think a fresh install is worth the hassle. They are awesome, enjoy!

1 Like

That’s a nice looking machine, congrats! Love that case!

Looking forward to hearing about the M.2 drives and the overall performance. XP11 and DCS should be really nice, so curious to see how much better they run.