Mudspike Air Cargo

I couldn’t resist getting one more flight in this early, early Christmas morning. The problem was though, that all of the outbound flights from my last location (S44 - Spanaway) were either too much cargo (1,700 lbs.) or had just expired, so they weren’t available.

So for this flight, I took a gamble and picked the only other thing available out of S44 - a MISSION…! Now, I haven’t flown any missions in AH2. Your total REP level is a composite of cargo, passenger, and mission flying. I’ve been 100% concentrated on cargo flying. Missions have you fly supplies (or passengers) just as you would cargo, but the difference is that you have a time limit in which to complete the mission. This flight from S44 to 2WA3 (Stuart Island) was about 101 nm, and I’d be given 49 minutes to complete it.

I was a little worried for several reasons. First - the weather. It has been miserable in the PNW the last couple of days. Mucking about in the soup causes performance loss at the minimum, and extra time to shoot approaches or hunt around for an airport at the other end. Second, the destination airport (according to AirNav) is just a tiny strip with some interesting approach notations. This could be a bit more exciting that I want.

So off we go into the weather…

I keep the throttle firewalled, lean out the engine, and aim for a short climb to 4,000’ which I’ve calculated will keep me at a minimum height above the highest obstacle enroute. Most of the flight will be over water, and I’m counting on a ceiling of at least five or six hundred feet at the destination to let me come zooming in over the water…

It become a race between my GPS time enroute display and the occasional reminders from Air Hauler that I’m running out of time. At the beginning of the flight I have about a two minute margin, and I’m getting pretty nervous that by the time I maneuver to land, I’ll fail the mission. After starting a 100’ per minute let down about 20 minutes out, I gain another 10 knots and end up banking a couple more minutes.

My gradual let down gets me below the bases and I’m starting to feel a bit more confident - the only hurdle left is to FIND the airstrip and land on it in the first pass…

I spend an inordinate amount of time looking at the sectional chart, comparing it to my GPS, and pulling up Google Earth to figure out my best plan of attack. I figure I will aim for the small airport on the east end of the island, which lines up nearly perfectly with the much smaller strip on the west end of the island. A large hill apparently blocks approaches from the west, and perhaps could be a problem in the event of a go-around.

I arrive at 1,300’ - my minimum descent altitude while I zip across San Juan Island (home of Friday Harbor) and I’m relieved the weather has given me a break…

As Stuart Island comes into view just beyond San Juan Island, I’m reminded that I have about 8 minutes left - my GPS is showing around 3 minutes out…a nice little buffer and I start to relax a bit, but I don’t pull the throttle back just yet…

I cross over the east airport and start my turn to follow the strip of land toward my destination…but I still haven’t spotted the dirt strip. I’m getting nervous again…

Then I spot it - whoa - that’s no joke…! 1560’ x 50’ embedded right in the side of a hill. I start to scrub off speed quickly and start concentrating on form rather than speed. I get all the flaps in, slow to around 70 knots, and start to concentrate on not under OR overshooting…

The reliable and trusty 185F proves her worth once again - handling the small strip with little problem…

I unload the mission packages with a few minutes to spare…

And with that successful mission - 40.03 REP…

As well, we are sitting on a nice bit of company cash ~ $387,624

I’m more relieved that elated. That will come later. Time to get the 185F back to Longview Ranch. She’s only 2.6 hours out of a Phase A (50 HR) check and sitting at around 71% condition. I don’t know if I should repair her to 100% prior to selling her and if that will allow me to get more cash or not. Time to do some research.

Already in the back of my mind is the thought of keeping the faithful workhorse. I could hire a pilot I suppose. Decisions, decisions.

5 Likes

Nice early christmas morning flight beach!

1 Like

On my way (dead leg) from Stuart Island (2WA3) over to Methow Valley State (S52) - sort of planning to pick up some cargo to take down to the home base at Longview Ranch (that contract might time out before I get there though - only 9 hour from now).

Anyway - enroute, I swear it looks like Active Sky is making it appear that Mt. Baker has erupted… :volcano:

3 Likes

I do love Active Sky…

3 Likes

Back home at Longview Ranch. Time to push the 185F into the hangar, give it a rest, an “A” inspection, and contemplate the future. Big decisions coming for MAC…

4 Likes

Well, thanks to the input and weighing the pros and cons of the different airframes for the MAC fleet expansion - I’ve settled on the DHC-6 Twin Otter. If I had gone with the prettier Do228, I’d have to dial up my sliders in Air Hauler to extend the runway lengths of the airports we could go to, so I do feel that the Twotter is a good choice.

Redding Jet Center over near Mount Shasta happens to have a nice, though slightly worn, Twin Otter for sale. She’s an ex Air Inuit aircraft with tundra tires and a cargo configuration. She’ll need a paint job (I have no idea how I’m going to do that), but I’m putting the deposit down today…!

The Twin Otter will be a bit more complex than the Cessna 185F, so it might take me a bit of time to get up to speed. Avionics are the custom coded Aerosoft Garmin 530, which I might upgrade in time to the GTN 750 if I spot a deal on one.

Thanks to everyone who participated in the poll. Yes, the Do228 is faster, has better avionics, and might edge out the Twin Otter on fuel burn, but like I said when I started looking - it isn’t so much about distance and speed as low speed handling and runway lengths at a lot of these back country fields in Idaho, Oregon, and Washington.

As for the 185F - I haven’t quite decided what to do with that. Still trying to figure that out.

4 Likes

I used to fuel USFS twotters a long time ago in the exact spot you took that picture! I also made that building for X-Plane for free but doesn’t look nearly as good. They also had a Shorts and possibly a Dornier if I remember right. Lots of cool aircraft can be found in that corner of the airport during fire season: AH-1 Fire Cobras, Skymasters, Turbo Commanders, Bae146’s, P-2V’s, S-2T’s, OV-10’s, DC-7’s, Hueys, etc.

edit: DC-7’s not 8’s… slight difference

1 Like

That is a trip…! Small world…(or not…just a cool coincidence!). Yeah, Redding looks like my kind of airfield for sure!

I think Tom Weiss did a nice Forestry Service livery for the Twin Otter…

2 Likes

That looks good, makes it harder for me to make the decision between buying the Dornier and Twin Otter though, I was actually leaning the other way.

Went back down to Redding yesterday and picked up the Twin Otter out of the paint shop and went ahead and signed the rest of the paperwork. N125SA Sharkpaint livery by “jankees” (Jan Kees Blom) - what a cool scheme! Perhaps not totally mountain-ish, but we are moving towards the coast…!

CARGO-667

It is not cheap though. Since I don’t have enough money to buy it outright, I have to lease it…and monthly payments are not cheap! It will definitely have to fly each month our this company will go bust…!

CARGO-668

CARGO-669

CARGO-670

As with any big purchase (you can see the dip when I bought the C-185F back in July as well) - the balance sheet sort of hemorrhages for a bit. I’m hoping that the load hauling ability will more than offset the lease price. With $72,719 earned in the previous month with the 185F, I should easily be able to clear above the Otter lease payment at the same or slightly less flying pace.

Now to reposition her back to The Ranch (OG39 - Longview)…

At some point in the near future, this GPS is going to have to get swapped out. It has default functions only, so I can’t change flightplans on the fly easily. I’d love to put a GTN 750 in the panel, but in my limited research on the Flight1, Aerosoft, and Reality XP forums, I’ve only seen mention that the RXP GNS 530W will swap into that panel without too many problems. Now I have to wait for that to go on sale.

Here’s something I hadn’t seen in FSX or P3D ever…an AI float plane apparently tried to land at Redding and he is stuck on the runway…

Off we go…laggy throttle response on these PT-6s - an FSX/P3D problem that just has to be recognized and ignored…

She climbs like a scalded dog…I can see why jump outfits love them, they just point their nose up, hang it on the props, and they get to altitude in no time…

After an hour or so uneventful flight, the weather starts to get a bit more ugly toward The Ranch. I put the anti-ice equipment on and hold my altitude at 11,000 and finally spot a hole I can spiral down through (there are no instrument approaches at OG39, but I have plans to build my own!)…

A couple of S-turns on final to scrub off a bit more altitude, and then we are settling down…

Reverse is kind of funky on the Otter too - owing to the poor turboprop modeling in P3D. It has a tendency to want to lurch out of reverse and rocket you forward unless you time it right. It is a bit of a delicate balance of braking and reverse though.

On the ramp and preparing for my Air Hauler type ride (you have to take a checkride any time you buy a new airplane in Air Hauler…a pretty simple hop with headings and altitudes)…

8 Likes

A Shark you say?

A bit NSFW

[spoiler]
http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/380/681/ef1.jpg[/spoiler]

3 Likes

I’ll be singing that all the way from the outer marker inbound…

5 Likes

Anyone remember that one GIF with the bus and those words?

Possibly

3 Likes

It’s what I secretly strive to become one day, such a rogue driver. Everything for the people!

Well, good news is…I can make a lot of money pretty quick with this thing…made back $34,000 in just two runs. I picked some paved fields first to get used to the plane. That throttle response is gonna kill me one day…

CARGO-690

1 Like

I thought that paint looked familiar. N125SA is a jumpship at Skydive Perris in Perris Valley, CA. At least she was back in the 90s when I started jumping. We used to call her “Shark Air” and it turns out that was not by coincidence. Please take care of her. She hauled my miserable carcass to altitude more times than I can remember, including a bunch of night jumps. Never complained. Good aircraft.

6 Likes

Ha…that’s awesome. I didn’t know the paint scheme was actually based on a real bird. Very cool…

2 Likes

Last night I knocked out my Air Hauler “type rating” for the Otter. It just consists of starting up, climbing up to altitude, and performing some very basic instrument reference maneuvers (climbs and descents to headings) and then a landing that must be graded OK or better (so don’t prang it…!)…

CARGO-688

Then I embarked on my first couple revenue flights - easy 70nm jaunts to a field with instrument approaches and a good amount of runway while I get used to the Otter. After running contracts in the 185F that would earn me $5K to 9K on a good run, seeing numbers like $18K or $20K per run is amazing…

Heading out on the first leg…

Good weather enroute…no need to shoot an instrument approach at Burns (KBNO)…

Trying to figure out the power and prop setting…

On and in…$18K in the bank…!

Off on the next run…now to just churn away!

5 Likes

5008 ft just because.

1 Like