Mudspike Logistics - Diary of a Cargo Pilot

I was wondering where from was the NDB chart you used @BeachAV8R for the Vernon approach ( I didnt pay attention to the header on it).
I did som ‘google research’ and was able to find the resource

http://www.ivao.ca/charts/cap,cap2

Now I know that I missed nice VOR/NDB approach to Pitt Meadows and that it was radial 260 FROM and not TO :smiley:
Have to try it on my way back east :slight_smile:

Yes…that’s a great resource for Canada approach plates…!

My next west hop. I found some suitable NDB approach card for the COMOX (CYQQ) airport and decided to fly more over the water this time.

@TheAlmightySnark I saw you were flying your 732 over waypoint which was two crossing VOR radials. So for this flight I decided to try it with my Shawk. I really dont know what I am doing :slight_smile:

So here is the plot. Two waypoints as radials crossing

I set my VOR 1 & 2 to correct frequencies ( sounds straight forward but it took me some time to figure out that SkyVector dont have N on top! :smiley: ) and departing from Pitt Meadows.
The weather up here in Canada is better then in eastern europe right now. 15°C in Canada, -5°C in eeurope :wind_blowing_face:

SHIPS!

And here I am on the first crossing. I am really taking time to figure out whats going on with the needles. After significant ‘P’ time I decided to call it a waypoint and am continuing to next crossing, hdg 274°

With only compass and gyro and strong wind blowing from S it is not so easy to hit the radials crossing exactly. :smiley: But it is really the goal? Still scratching my head.

The last waypoint before the CYQQ is NDB so I think I am good. Ready for the NDB approach

I think I am doing quite good. Here I am on the short final. Did I fly the approach correctly? No time to think about it as with the strong S wind I am doing 57kt air / 34kt gnd speed

I am wondering if it was good idea to use the radials crossings as waypoints in Shawk with only watch, compass, gyro, two VORs and NDB!? But am I safely now at CYQQ thats important, lets talk in bar about it (in a different thread) :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ll say. I was tinkering with FSXWX last night and deprted KPDX at 2300 Zulu only to find not a cloud in the sky. Nice report by the way.

Guess my rent is due at Vernon - better get back to flying and start making some money!!

2 Likes

Arrived in Valemount, BC to pick up a load - it was a close thing getting through the mountain passes. I actually had two moments where I thought I might have gotten boxed in by weather and climb capability of my aircraft… I really can’t wait to upgrade to something with an autopilot and a GPS. Flew the whole route with a VOR and some pilotage and dead reckoning without consulting my X-Plane map. Fun stuff that brings back memories…!

3 Likes

Gonna stop by Blue River on my flight back to Vernon…checking out the Tom Curtis scenery area…

1 Like

That’s an absolutely beautiful screenshot. I need to ditch the GPS on my next haul to see if I can still navigate. Yeah, I’m too far NW from your AO for Tom Curtis, but still have found some gems. Have not turned on Winter terrain yet, but I know that soon “winter is coming Jon Snow”.

2 Likes

I was thinking of doing that too…but I’m not sure how the custom airport sceneries will do with that. I think some of them have “summer” colors that might clash with the surrounding winter terrain. I’ll give it a whirl on my next contract though. This flight was a dead leg up and some “cleaning supplies” back to Vernon…LOL…

A fairly murky day in BC…finally squeaked back into Vernon after a tense up and back to Valemount… The weather was…meh…marginal…

4 Likes

Chris are you still using Ventura Sky?

Yes I am…in combo with SkyMaxx Pro and Real Weather Connector…and I think it is fantastic…

2 Likes

This is my bread and butter on my actual hops around the Straight of Georgia. But on the last (I would say ‘test’) night filght I used AP. Turned it on and went doing the real life. When I came back to PC virtual disaster was inevitable :slight_smile:

And here is the complete night test report :slight_smile:

As my Shawk cockpit lights are not operable I rent for this night trip local 172 (default FSX).
I didnt waste too much time with planing and quickly decided to fly SW to Long Beach (CYAZ). Sounds exotic and it is straight forward NDB to NDB flight.

Equipped with autopilot this time I was looking forward to this - I can turn it on and go do my stuff while the AP will fly for me. Sounds great!

In previous post you can see me taking off from Comox (CYQQ) loaded with big cargo and little fuel.

The country looks much better when you can not see much of it in the dark :slight_smile:

And also this 172 (default FSX) looks quite good from inside in the dark

I am locking the AP for cruise ALT and HDG. Enjoying the vistas for the last time and leaving the controls. This time spare time for flying was not continuous :slight_smile:

After what seemed to me like short time period I am returning to controls and I definitely knowing that this will end up badly. I see only water around me. Quickly turning opposite hdg and opening map to check how bad it is.

It is not so bad, bad thing is that I have almost no fuel! :sweat_smile:

I am flying back towards some imaginary point between NDB and airport. No time for NDB approaches this time. From there turning left and expecting to see some airport lights. It took forever and still no lights in sight. I am checking map again just to realize that I am directly over the airport. This field have no lights! :dizzy_face:

On first landing attempt I am high and fast. Go around is bad decision. I am pushing the throttle forward but no feedback from the engine anymore. I am out of fuel and out of the runway now! In the left turn in the last moment I am noticing road below me and doing crash landing there. But it was rather landing crash :smiley:

The lesson learnt is really a big one!

2 Likes

LOL…good save…!

2 Likes

It means that I am suspended!? :smile:

1 Like

My last NW hop. Just short one from CYQQ to CYBL, NDB to NDB. So nice NDB approach in the dark on my way N.

Weather is still very good up here north. And also the wind is going to help me, from 120 and the runway for landing is actually 120. So no drifting on the last part of NDB approach.

This time I spent some more minutes planning, to check if the runway lights are present at the destination. Yes, they are :slight_smile:

Leaving CYQQ, I like the night more and more

On AP following the coast and climbing into the clouds. Finally I cant see much around me :slight_smile:

I was little rusty on the left procedural turn but what counts is that I corrected my self just using the gauges. AP set only for ALT hold. This is where I can see the airport lights finally

Nice…

Now I need to figure out what to practice on my way back to Vernon. GPS approaches? ILS approaches? Both? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I checked my previous night report on my mobile phone and the pics are almost completely dark :sunglasses:
Maybe the NDB approach on the map will suffice :slight_smile: