Multiplayer - Where you are!

I have it installed @Elby. I’m a multi player Newb though

Mind if I would jump in for either :wink:

1 Like

Be nice to meet up either way @tempusmurphy. Not fussed which game (I’ll have to install elite)

This is a great Idea. Will be checking this thread back on the weekend (easier to adjust to European time zones)!

1 Like

I have both installed so am easy … (Cue the jokes) :rofl:

1 Like

I’m going to give some DCS Huey CSAR MP a go tonight I think. On that server @BeachAV8R and @smokinhole were on the other night they had sort of ‘Pilot down, rescue available’ things popping up so I’m tempted to give it a go, just to figure it out. It looks like the SFROG #2 has players on it (Caucasus Incursion PVE) so we’ll so how it goes. I know nothing about the mission or if I need to be armed, or have CAP etc, so expecting a fiery death from above (or below). Will be about 2021-04-02T02:15:00Z until I’m done with dinner and set-up (especially in VR, to play the ‘mouse has lost focus’ minigames).

Server: dcs.stoicfrog.tv:10310
SRS: dcs.stoicfrog.tv:5003

I am online monday to friday 6pm to 11pm California time playing Aces High VR. I am on Rook playing as FLREYTRD (Fullrey Tard) lol… or as a Knight as SAAMIAM…

@fearlessfrog and others, that server we were on two nights ago was a different one than the SAR server I’ve been playing. The SAR and firefighting server can be found simply by typing “search” in Search. As of yesterday they were the only hit that resulted. I’ll be on this evening and maybe a little during the day.

1 Like

Ah, understood. I did do a couple of ‘rescues’ on that sfrog server but it was hard going.

The F10 CSAR menu would list out some last known lat/lngs and then give a frequency to tune the ADF for direction. The downside was that the distances were sort of long (is it quicker to load the Huey on a truck and just drive it there? :smiley_cat:) and the crash sites were sometimes inconsiderate enough to be within thick trees. When you can’t land you have to do a really low hover for 10 seconds+ and I may have killed a few downed pilots with either disconnected rotor disks or plummeting huey wreckage - not sure who CSAR’s the CSAR but my total body count for the evening probably wasn’t positive.

4 Likes

The “real” search server lets you pick the length of rope which matches conditions. In the rare flats, 20m is fine. On the more common wooded hillsides you need 60m or more. There is an option in the F10 menu for adf freqs but so far I haven’t been able to get that to work. Instead I just keep updating the “closest SAR” menu until I am within 500m at which point it throws smoke and gives constant bearing and distance.

2 Likes

I gave it a go, but used the Syria one - that map is very pretty, dusk and sandstorms and it’s the first time I’ve seen it properly.

I picked up some lone soldier (this is not sounding great) after scooting 60km north from Beirut. Lots of time to admire the views. The ADFs don’t seem to be set-up, but like you said, once you are sort of around them they start putting out smoke.

I flew back to the hospital in Beirut all chuffed the UN was finally doing some good when I landed on the hospital pad (on top of the high building) then my Huey fell right through it. Fireball. :fire: I sort of felt sorry for the guy I picked up, but he did get a tour of the countryside.

Not sure what I did wrong, but I’ll give the Caucasus one a go next.

3 Likes

Oof! It’s actually in the briefing. (At least it was two days ago). They are still working on … well … something with the pad. In the meantime we are supposed to land on the street below. All the other hospital pads work, iirc.

2 Likes

Ah, the briefing. Oops. It was fun anyway, plus really nice to get back in the Huey, remember how to cold start, hoist and stuff - a really nice server.

I had someone do a ‘copilot request’ but couldn’t find a way to click accept in VR, is there a way? I felt embarrassed I looked like I blanked them by not accepting, and tried to type in VR what the issue was but it came out like like I couldn’t speak English or just had brain damage. sigh

2 Likes

Some say you have to have a bit of that to be a rotorcraft pilot… :rofl:

3 Likes

The pilot request thing. I had the same problem when “Grizzly” over at Black Aces gave me formation dual. Hit “Esc” or whatever serves as your “End Mission” combo and find your mouse pointer. Hit Resume and just remember where the mouse pointer was. It’s easier than it sounds. But then, I was on the ground when he tried to join.

1 Like

I flaged that Beach :stuck_out_tongue: :grin:

3 Likes

“Some…”. Could you be more specific @BeachAV8R?

1 Like

Ah…I see someone took offense at my tongue in cheek observation. Apologies to my rotorcraft friends…I thought it was well established that my admiration for what you do is unquestionable.

I think anyone that has witnessed firsthand autorotation training comes away from it with a mad respect for instructor pilots and perhaps a question as to how they can do that day after day. Despite my poking fun at helo pilots I think it is a job I don’t have the constitution to perform. So yes, they are a bit special in my view…

2 Likes

Sorry, I should have used a :laughing:

I NEVER take offense at anything you say @BeachAV8R. And I also believe that helicopter pilots (a category of people I do not yet place myself among) deserve all the ridicule that might be thrown their way. Anyone who chooses to fly such expensive, impossible machines must be laughed at, cancelled on Instagram, dunked at county fairs, played off stage and shunned at parties.

3 Likes