NATO Ministry of Information video thread

I don’t know about that display setup. I think a non-pilot sales guy working the booth set up those three maps at once because he thought they looked neato. A real working pilot with limited neurons would pick a simpler combo that would probably have a little more appeal to us sim types. I agree with Jack Black. It’s ugly.

6 Likes

The Office Reaction GIF

4 Likes

Imagine if all those maps had been set to just NORTH UP instead of TRACK UP too…

apocalypse now horror GIF by Maudit

1 Like

Am I the only one who uses North up? I have to change it in nearly every plane I fly

3 Likes

I prefer North up, too.

1 Like

Ok, let’s start a Poll, Real pilots vs Armchair pilots! :smiley:

EDIT: For me it depends, when I aviate I prefer Track up- in combat situation, North up.
Yup, I’m messed up like that.

4 Likes

I’m fine with track up, I can happily GIVE my position. Where it falls apart is when I’m ASKED my position or to turn to a specific cardinal direction.
North up is just easier on my brain. I don’t cope well with being asked questions

5 Likes

And yet you’re married…
Bored Season 4 GIF by The Eric Andre Show

5 Likes

Oh she barely speak to me unless she wants something :rofl:

3 Likes

North up for reference maps like ForeFlight. Track up or Heading up for Nav displays.

4 Likes

This is a constant back and forth at our company. I prefer track up on the PFD, and North up on the MFD.

ETA: On the old ProLine 21 (I feel really weird saying that, but it’s true now!), changing all the screens the way you wanted took a bunch of button presses here, there and everywhere, so it was kinda involved to set back up after the last guy ‘messed it up’. My previous company had a chief pilot who would always leave the airplane’s panel in a rubbish state, everything set to be an HSI without the map, every bearing pointer turned on, etc.

I realized later that he was making it as close to steam gauges as he could, because that was what he was used to! :laughing:

With the Garmin stuff, we just have a profile we keep saved for each crew, and select it as part of the init process during cockpit prep. In fact, I’ve got it now where we can select a profile dependent not only on who’s flying, but what seat they’re in (we typically leg swap, so the PIC/SIC each get a turn as PF/PNF, but always flying from the left. Unless it’s a real junior FO, then he/she only gets the empty legs for a little while, haha!). So now I never have to mess with my displays, they stay just they way I like them!

6 Likes

This is incredible to watch.

@Navynuke99 and @Hangar200 is there anything you can add to the video? Have you ever experienced similar?

I’ve watched it about 6 times so far. Wow.

1 Like

https://youtu.be/kuih8YNmDMA

:hot_face:

6 Likes

Awesome video! It really gave a great feeling of what it was like up there in the cockpit. Much more “intimate” than those flashy music videos.

That dive down from 40k feet… that was intense. Had me looking up the G-limits on the A-6E.

Turns out they’re within 0.5 G of the Hornet’s: -2.5 to +6.5 G

I already loved this weirdly shaped airframe, you’re not helping to make the wait bearable @komemiute !
And we will have to wait quite a while

TL:DR; :hot_face:

3 Likes
3 Likes

The Harrier always sounds like it is relieved to stop flying. :rofl:

Hmm…in the old school world where you have to use time to calculate the missed approach fix (don’t worry kids…you don’t have to do that very often anymore)…the Harrier would have been an interesting one.

“OK…at 140 knots we will be 1:45 to the MAP”

“Oh…crap…we are now doing 80 knots…recalculating…2:50 now…”

“Shoot…we are doing 40 knots…minus the time we already flew…now…err…3:15…”

“20 knots…um…10:40…”

“WE’RE GOING BACKWARDS!!!”

10 Likes

No injuries. Very new plane, not so new now.

Incident at Gifu Airbase!

Earlier, a Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force(JMSDF) P-1 aircraft, veered off the runway at Gifu Airbase. This P-1 aircraft has recently been delivered to the Force.

2 Likes

That is a weird looking jet. Hopefully it was a brake or hydraulic failure or some other mechanical issue that will render the crew blameless.

2 Likes

It’s the lego airliner, drafted into JMSDF service!

Glad no one was hurt. Feel bad for the mishap crew.

ETA: It’s actually not fair for me to pick on its appearance knowing nothing about it. I had no idea what it was, but got curious today and did some reading. In case anyone else had never heard of one before (probably unlikely here, lol!), it’s a Kawasaki P-1, and is actually is a new purpose-built ASW airframe, and pretty dang cool airplane. Check it out:

I think it’s pretty cool that Japan is developing their own domestic aircraft designs again (not that they ever really stopped, but there’s been a lot of license-build US designs, many improved and further developed). Part of me hopes they’re successful in foreign sales, but the other part of me owns Boeing stock (buy the dip! :roll_eyes:), so I’m a little conflicted… :thinking:

7 Likes

Caught this with my phone camera today…

7 Likes