New Virpil VPC throttle inbound! The T-50CM2!

Waiting patiently. Don’t spare the details…though I’m not much on watching someone open a box.

Now…?

If it was up to Chris, we would have to wait at least a week, just looking at the box. A different angle each day. :crazy_face::rofl:

1 Like

Yeah, but he’s mean… Dan @chipwich ain’t like that. :wink:

You guys are funny. Will get it mounted and do a quick review tonight. Look for it in the AM.

2 Likes

I’m not sure we ever recovered after Chris did this: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I really should have put that on the front page of the main site… :thinking:

1 Like

5 Likes

The DCS 2.5.6 lighting engine sure looks good, look at those reflections!

4 Likes

Ordered 5 Feb, delivered to my doorstep in Charleston, South Carolina USA 24 Feb.

2 Likes

The Blue/Green/Red dithering is very poor, reflections are all wrong - yet another reason to complain about the current state of DCS / Reality. This is probably the F-16’s fault… :wink:

3 Likes

Can that lil side lever be used as an axis, or is it a friction-thingy for the throttles? LIke, say for the nozzle lever for the Harrier…

Yes. There is also another slider/axis on the front left side of the right throttle grip, that took me a while to find during calibration. If your left hand is on the right throttle, your ring finger rests on it. So in all, 4 x axis or sliders, one more than the TM WH.

BTW, fire away questions and I will attempt to answer. Still very much in exploration mode.

1 Like

SETUP

Download the latest VPC Joystick Program here. The current release is 20200204. I uninstalled the old version before installing this one. Without it, your throttle will not be detected and you won’t be able to update it or the MT-50M2 base to the latest firmware.

Chose Pro setup over Lite in order to have access to changing the color of the 6 x buttons. Here are the default color options. Obviously mine are too bright as seen in the image a few posts earlier. My RGB were just a method of delineating columns. Will probably change as I determine what the functions will be. Seriously, there are so many buttons and switches on this damn thing, chipwich’s old head would undoubtedly explode if I began using Modes (5 of them!). You can also let your throttle command Modes to your stick as well.

Capture

You will need to build a profile (not the same thing as a TM profile) in order for the switches to work. It’s harder to explain than do, and I suggest that you dive in and tinker. Also, run through the calibration during Profile build for axis, then go into Windows USB game controller (linked within VPC software) and calibrate there as well. VPC first, then Windows. You will thank me later when trying to A2A refuel the Viper.

If anyone is interested, the 3 x metal toggle switches are momentary, and the four red switches are latched. I understood this incorrectly when ordering, but now that I have the little beast in hand, prefer it this way. Much easier to program these for Landing Gear, Hook, and Fuel Probe. For flaps, I’m using the 3 way switch on the front of the left throttle grip. Works intuitively.

3 Likes

RANDOM OBSERVATIONS

• The right hand side lever marked FLAPS is a little stiff for my taste.
  • The throttle resistance seems about perfect.
  • There is no detent for A/B, nor is there a lift up stop at the rear of the throttle travel. I will miss that.
  • As someone noted in the only review on the VPC site, there is a little slack in the latch between the two throttles. However, the method of latching is easier to engage than the TM WH.
  • All of the switch feedback and clicks are very Toyota like. Build quality is superb.
  • The roteries on each end of the throttle grips as well as those on the right-rear of the throttle base are interesting. They do not show up as axis, but rather pulse a DX code when rotated in one direction and a different one in the other direction. Very thoughtful way to program these as they will have more application possibilities than if they were axis.

The mounting brackets that VPC make to attach this throttle to a TM WH mounting plate are out of stock. I used 2 x 2" inch wide strips of industrial Velcro to attach. The stuff that guitarist mount foot pedals to a board. It’s not going anywhere.

Using my MonsterTech TM WH mounting plate.

1 Like

One item I wish I had. I think? Just seems like it would be handy but, not having one, it may just be a “grass is greener” thing. I have a jury-rigged mod but it wears out over time. And an idle detent perhaps?

My Derek Spears Designs (DSD) button box has these and, yes, they work well: light intensity/brightness, Hornet radio channel select, etc.

Rotary encoders.
I use them for trim wheels in my RTT Controller.

4 Likes

@chipwich, that looks really cool!
I have an idea for fingerlifts for that one. Need to get me a CM2 Throttle first. Send me your…?
What? Put that gun down!
Jeez… :wink:

I like the idea of additional control panels… Just look at these!

3 Likes

I’ve only begun converting the Viper at this point and using them for interior lighting ATM.

Stellar work Mr. Troll :+1:

Wow, I really like the one with gear handle and enunciator lights for LG and speed brake state. Huey grip looks promising too. I’m becoming a VPC fan for sure.

1 Like