Newbie Mission Recommendations

Hey all, I’m fairly new to DCS and brand new to these forums. I’m looking for any recommendations for any training or easy/simple missions for a newbie on the F-16C. I think I have a good grasp of the basics of the systems and what-not, but now I want to apply that knowledge myself in a relatively easy mission. I’ve been running Through The Inferno which is fun, but I feel like a noob like me needs a little more structure to focus on specific things. I have the Nevada TTR if that helps. Thanks in advance!

4 Likes

Hi @Razgriz78 and welcome.

What I tend to do when I’m learning a new module is create a ‘simple’ mission in the editor. This lets me focus on one thing at a time. It also lets you set the skill level of the adversary to what you are comfortable with - e.g. for A2A I start with a Rookie opponent and ramp it up as I improve.

e.g. When I was learning the HARM Targetting Pod, The first thing I did was just place a Search and a Tracking radar (no SAMs) and started airborne so all I had to focus on was using the sensor. Once I had the ‘muscle memory’ I added more elements (SAMs, enemy CAP, etc) and in no time was ready to tackle more complex missions (that come with the module and user files from the DCS website).

3 Likes

Yeah that’s pretty much what I’m looking for, but I haven’t taken the time to learn the mission editor yet so I was looking for something already made. But I think I’ll start digging into the mission editor. Thanks!

2 Likes

Once you get the hang of it, the mission editor isn’t too daunting. Heaps YouTube vids to help.

I posted this for another newbie only a few days ago:

Edit - I can’t stress enough how useful Chuck’s Guides are. When I’m ‘playing’ it is always in VR, but when I’m learning it is always 2D with the relevant Chuck’s Guide only an ALT-TAB away :slight_smile:

1 Like

At its most basic, it’s not too cryptic.

Hell, I figured it out! :joy:

Welcome!

3 Likes

Once you get the hang of the editor it’s very powerful with scripting and the like … but with the basic stuff it’s pretty much plonk stuff on the map and then proceed to blow it up :grinning:

2 Likes

[quote=“tempusmurphy, post:6, topic:14572”]
pretty much plonk stuff on the map and then proceed to blow it up
[/quote] ← What he said :slight_smile:

2 Likes

As others have said, the mission editor is a good place to start. I’ve been playing with it for years now. You can do very basic stuff and also go deep with your imagination. It is a very powerful and flexible tool ED has given us and only requires some patience and time. Frankly, I love experimenting with it and am probably one half of my time in DCS in the mission editor and the other half flying.

Anyway, take a look at this guy’s playlist. He has 62 videos, mostly short ones showing how to build things in the mission editor. Most things basic, others a bit more advanced. I use his videos myself and learned much through the years on how to work the editor to get missions I want to fly. Good luck.

This video is the first of the 62 in his playlist of mission editor tips. It is old but as you scroll through the others, they become timelier and up to date.

This next guy does a nice job as well. Only has three videos on editor but good start points as well. He may be helpful to you so I include here. This is the first of three videos in his series on the mission editor.

3 Likes