Next gen VR...

So I got to thinking about this a bit after a morning of tooling around in DCS World 2.5 in VR (finally started playing it in VR this morning). Whenever I slip the VR headset on and enter a cockpit - whether it is VTOL VR or X-Plane or DCS…I’m always amazed by the technology and grin like a little school boy. I’ll bet it will be equally mind blowing when we get to the resolution and processing capability where we can approximate the actual visual acuity we see in real life. It will be pretty cool to see traffic on a runway 10 miles away…or pick out buildings from twenty or thirty miles away. To clearly see cars on the road from 20,000’ or trucks from 30,000’… I’m so super excited for this next gen (or maybe the third gen).

1 Like

You can do that…? :astonished:

2 Likes

Well, I fly into Charleston AFB a lot. C-17s are easy to spot…LOL… My size airplanes - not so much.

1 Like

Yeah, I forgot you have bigger airplanes, cars and buildings over there :wink:

Hello all,

Long time lurker first time poster :slight_smile:

I couldn’t agree more on the desire for 2nd (or 3rd) gen headsets. I started flying DCS in the A-10 just a few short months ago and was doing quite well with Track IR and triple 27" monitors. Then along came the Rift and I started trying to fly DCS in that. Problem was, I found it much harder to do because of the resolution in the cockpit for labels on switches and such even though the freedom of movement absolutely crushed track IR. Now I feel like I’m in between a rock and a hard place because while I love VR, I don’t feel it’s the easiest to learn DCS with on account of the resolution and I have not fired up the sim in a long while as a result.

2 Likes

Learning intricate DCS modules is hard, in VR. You want to stop and read and you need to be able to read the cockpit text.
I find that tool tips works great, when learning new aircraft. And zooming and leaning in. I sometimes feel like Mr. Magoo, with my virtual face right up against the virtual switch :wink:
But after a while, I remember which switch does what, and I don’t have to read.

Also, with 2.5 spotting enemies is better…

But yeah, gimme some more res and FoV!

1 Like

LOL @ the Mr. Magoo comment as I feel similar :slight_smile: I definitely miss the zoom feature of track IR mapped to my Warthog throttle.

There is a VR Zoom function in DCS that works great. Also, you want textures to be High and crank up the cockpit display setting as high as you can. On top of that you should also look at super-sampling, which you can set within the DCS VR settings. I use 1.5. It really sharpens things up (at the expense of some performance of course).

1 Like

Thanks Paul. I’ll give that a shot in 2.5 once I figure out how to get it installed. Debating if I should just do a complete wipe of my DCS folder and start fresh.

1 Like

You are welcome… Also, welcome to Mudspike!

1 Like

Welcome aboard. And I agree…2D works pretty well for just sitting still and learning where stuff is.

2 Likes

So I got 2.5 installed and gave the A-10C a spin in VR. Maybe it’s me, but it seems MUCH better in VR than I remember it being in 1.5. Two thumbs up!

Yeah…I agree. Might be just the lighting aiding the clarity…but I’m really digging it. Some of the pits are a bit dark…and I haven’t settled on the best gamma settings yet, but I really love it.

I totally forgot the sense of speed VR can provide vs. monitors. Might have to get back to learning this beast…

1 Like