Nice Outerra video

Starting to show some real potential…

Pierce County Airport (KPLU) to Tacoma Narrows Airport (KTIW) - YouTube

And some interesting AH-64 WIP shots…

BeachAV8R

3 Likes

I just looked up what Outerra is, exactly:

3D planetary engine for seamless planet rendering from space down to the surface. Can use arbitrary resolution of elevation data, refining it to centimeter resolution using fractal algorithms.

Seems like a really smart idea: “Unlimited visibility, progressive download of data, procedural content generation.”
And then, when scrolling through the gallery, looking at all the features, I was wowed even more. I just couldn’t believe it when I saw the dynamic terrain deforming video: real-time craters.
Surely this engine doesn’t work in multiplayer, I mean… wow. just wow.

It looks wonderful, but it’s been so long now. It has sort of taken on that mythical ‘unicorn over the horizon’ Duke Nukem of terrain engines mantle. I do hope they release something gameplay-wise that feels good in 2016.

3 Likes

Yeah…reminiscent of 7G…always something new to report…but starting to count the decades… But if they get a flyable AH-64 with a nice flight model and some systems…heck, I’ll do bump and goes with that thing…

1 Like

It’s also very fun to send asteroids into the surface. But the most impressive is the Middle Earth project

Can’t let that go by without a video :smile:

1 Like

Have they solved the “flowing water” problem yet?
Back when I was active in the Infinity-Forums we talked about that a lot (I-Novae engine is also procedural). Procedural terrain generation is nice, but rivers are a pain in the ass, for obvious reasons.
And a planet without rivers also means a planet without active volcanoes and other stuff that would be really nice, like realistic weather.

Alpha river support in Outerra

1 Like

Outerra Version 16.6601 Released (25 Mar 2016) Rain, Snow, Rivers, 30m SRTM and other goodies!

1 Like