Nice video for tail-dragger pilots

This is a great video demonstrating why taildraggers want to ground loop on you…

11 Likes

If the tailwheel wants to be out front then maybe it should be put there in the first place :wink: .

8 Likes

Cool video. :sunglasses:

Wheels

Pro tip: don’t call a person who is good at landing taildraggers a drag queen or drag king. :smile:

6 Likes

So, monsters are involved, after all…!
I always had the feeling. :fearful:

2 Likes

Some of his videos I like. Others I find sorta meh. I was expecting this one to be Uber-meh. But that little demo he did with the model on the treadmill was superb. For the record, I find myself in a low-speed ground loop about twice a year. So far they have all been at too slow a speed to cause anything more than mild embarrassment and generally happened when I unlocked the tailwheel in a wind.

Some planes are worse than others.

3 Likes

It actually made me more cognoscente cognizant of how I will load my little kayak travel trailer in the future. I’ve always been sort of “just throw them on there” when loading it…and to this point have never had a problem with it, but now I can see that having the weight too far behind the axle could easily set up an oscillation that could be disastrous.

3 Likes

I thought you’d misspelled “conscientious”. Then I looked it up. It’s a real word I had never heard before. Cool.

2 Likes

LOL at @smokinhole - actually it was a misspelling of “cognizant” - so we both learned a new word today!

3 Likes

When he talks about his first tailwheel take off - tail up, swing to the left, instructor taking over, almost wrecked the Kitfox…

Exactly what I went through during my first take off in a tailwheel, only I was swinging to the right (counter-clockwise rotating engine) before my instructor saved the day :crazy_face:

Yep. Me too. Well, except I was darting left.

Hey that video was great. I flew a Cessna 185 for a couple of summers at a parachute club here in York, PA. I was always trying to do wheel landings but was not very good at it. When I got the main wheels on the ground I would just cut the power and pull the yoke back and put the tail wheel on the ground so I wouldnt end up in a ground loop situation. Great video.

1 Like

I’m embarrassed to a admit I have exactly one flight in a tailwheel aircraft. A J-3 that a fellow pilot had bought. It was great until he started doing wingovers and I was looking at that 60 year old spar above my head and started muttering prayers to Gods I didn’t even know existed.

1 Like

Always remember this quote when someone mentions the cub.

The Piper Cub is the safest airplane in the world; …it can just barely kill you.

(Attributed to Max Stanley, Northrop test pilot)

Wheels

3 Likes

Extremely accurate, Cheers