Nimbus BN-2 Islander

I will most likely not be getting this one because I went with the TorqueSim Islander just recently. Both look to be quality products though, and I am sure they both have their strengths and weaknesses when compared to each other.

2 Likes

Well OKā€¦if you are sureā€¦personally I would have thought it was your duty to Mudspike to purchase this and do an exhaustive comparison of the two, then post your findings so the rest of us know which one to purchaseā€¦you wouldnā€™t want the rest of us wasting our money, would you? :hushed:

I go to tell ya, Iā€™m a bit disappointedā€¦ :wink:

5 Likes

I have been in XP over-spend mode here recently. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been refreshing the .ORG store every couple hours hoping Iā€™d catch another great deal. Are the flash sales over yaā€™ think?

Apparently they are according to Twitter.

1 Like

The TorqueSim BN-2 is on sale for 30% offā€¦ $39.99 to $24.99. Seems like some aggressive price competition.

The answer to what speed you should fly in an islander if not cruising the answer is always 65 knots.

The Islander does not use lift as we know it. It operates on a unique variable noise constant thrust technology. Lift is proportionate to noise due to the increase in vibration, causing the aircraft to vibrate which agitates boundary layer air creating localised low pressure above the wing.

Based on two years flogging them around the Shetland Islands and Scottish beaches.

The only aircraft where a female passenger removed my headset, licked my neck and ear. A Shetland pony. You havenā€™t lived unless you fly a landing with 18" of pony slobber sliding down the back of you neck.

3 Likes

Ooooh. Did you land/take off from that Scottish airport that is a beachā€¦you have to wait till low tide? ORBX modeled in in their Scotland for FSXā€¦great fun with the Aerosoft DHC-6 Twin Otter in BA colors.

ā€¦actually that will be included in the next DCS Beta upgradeā€¦ED is really on top of things.

Was sad to see the BN factory on the Isle of Wight closed, and with it, the airfield that supported it. I did a scenery of that airfield for FSX but never published it. Visited the Isle of Wight in 2008 but didnā€™t know about the airfield at the time.

3 Likes

There are two official beaches -Barra and Solas. many unofficial. Flight times subject to tides. I have landed at Barra ā€œoff airportā€ and taxied in when the landing area was obscured by fog. I donā€™t have a photo of my flying the BN2 into Barra, there are lots on the net but my favourite barra photo sent me Airport-on-a-beach-on-Isl-020

3 Likes

Thatā€™s a great breakdown - priceless! I had the pleasure of riding in one from San Juan to Vieques, Puerto Rico about 20 years ago. Can confirm that the plane felt more like a helicopter with all the vibratingā€¦

1 Like

The rudder pedals on the ground are a ā€˜delightā€™. You need thighs like tug boats. Much better to lead into all turns on the ground with differential power. Otherwise it feels like your having a stroke. I had a engine failure and was unable to turn into the dead engine. Needed a tractor to pull us in. Hopefully ED will reflect this.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve done well lately. Resisted the urge near daily (and not just XP). Iā€™m adapting well to a the fixed income life? Decided the fun now is to get really good with one platform. Itā€™s different but Iā€™m enjoying it; F18 in DCS, Twin Beech in XP for instance. :slight_smile:

1 Like