NVIDIA RTX 3000 series

I guess AMD’s past that at that point. If we think both consoles will be running AMD Big Navi (probably because of the clear efficiency superiority), most games will already be optimised for AMD’s board features already.

I still believe will see some very interesting mid cycle offerings from Nvidia with good prices, thanks to that market push. They both will have very compelling selling points, with Nvidia’s DLSS and RTX features probably more mature (not to mention their studio drivers) and better streamlined, versus AMD’s better performance per watt. For flight simmers though, the 6900 XT seems like a great choice. 3090 power levels without the monster power consumption for 500 less, and you only loose DLSS and RTX features our sim software doesn’t use (especially in VR)…

Very exciting.

2 Likes

And drivers are still going to have to improve. They maybe a competitive card but if the drivers suck…

2 Likes

So that 50% preliminary gain in 4K I reported might’ve been shortsighted. That was tested with graphics settings that made the 1080ti look good. As soon as you start throwing “Ultra” graphics settings at the 3080 I think it really starts to show its muscle.

A good example is Red Dead Redemption 2 … had trouble running with good framerates at 4K with the 1080ti at mediocre/subsampled graphics. Tonight I tried EVERYTHING set to Ultra on the 3080 and was seeing framerates as high as 75! I turned Vsync (60 Hz) back on to keep the temps down but now I’m thinking the 3080 is giving me performance gains of 100% over the 1080ti!

Cheers!

4 Likes

We said that w/ Xbox One and PS4…

1 Like

rDNA2 Supports RayTracing,

And has an open source version of DLSS

There’s a great AMD thread here boys :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Honestly a lot of the ray tracing vids I’ve seen things look way too bright. Maybe it’s my light sensitivity (blue eyes) but man, it doesn’t look better to me.

Anyone considering an AMD card, I’d definitely wait for some gaming benchmarks from independent/non affiliated sources. Traditionally the AMD stuff seems comparible on paper, but it just doesn’t compete in the real world. AMD vs Intel it really is a negligible difference, could be argued AMD is better for productivity, but AMD vs Nvidia is a different story. The Nvidia cards consistently outperformed all of them at the low/mid/high price points in gaming.

What I would wait and look for is to see how much that extra 8gb helps out in 4K and VR. While a 3070 is faster than a 2080 Ti, I have a feeling the 2080 Ti will leave it in the dust when the VRAM draw goes over 8gb (DCS VR). Like I said in THEORY the AMD 16gb cards should fly in these situations, I’m just waiting to see if it actually works in the wild.

7 Likes

Me too…

I am planning a upgrade in the new year, (waiting for the GPU supply problems to iron out), and I am seriously looking at the AMD cards as a replacement for my 1070ti.
it will be a very interesting time to be checking out all the benchmarks as the cards become alvailable.

For myself, I dont really care if its “green or red” but just what gives the best bang for my buck… :grinning:

2 Likes

Aurelius on the ED forums appears mightily impressed by RDNA 2 performance in DCS . This is one of several posts , although he is limited by NDA at this point as to specifics . I was interested in AMD , but had several concerns , and his posts allayed them all .

Links are problematic on the new ED forum , look for posts 254 , 260 among others .

3 Likes

He is also on a full AMD system. Need to see mixed system performance as well. (Intel CPU)

2 Likes

@Svsmokey I wouldn’t trust that guy. He openly drives used Honda accords.

3 Likes

LOL !

He didn’t say Honda Fit though, so give him some credit!

Hey, the Honda Fit is a decent car!
(Source: Me. I drive one. :smiley: )

2 Likes

Fine, he didn’t say Toyota Yaris. Better?

1 Like

Yep. :rofl:

1 Like

This chart seems pretty convincing. I think we have a winner …

13 Likes

I saw a guy do this to another chart once…so I can make the RTX a 7500…all you need is a Sharpie…

8 Likes