NVIDIA RTX 3000 series

as mentioned somewhere, XP and DCS both are running on old graphic engines, so maybe there is that

Both computers arrived today…! I managed to secret them away before the kids could see them (I intercepted the UPS driver in the driveway). I know what I’ll be doing all day on Christmas afternoon (installing software…)…

6 Likes

5 Likes

I hope NVidia drivers include the lady in the red dress…

1 Like

I guess you joined the wrong team :wink:

2 Likes

Pre-download everything now.

For quicker windows updates - at least turn on the infinite cache age mentioned here on your PC.

Ensure under Windows update, advanced: get other MS updates = yes.

Delivery Optimization should be LAN only, usually default.

Then just keep doing your updates and they’ll be kept in cache for when you start on those two.

———

Set up your steam library as a network share.
Then start the download on their PCs, pause it and then just copy the files from your PC. Get the downloads at LAN speed instead! Run a verification and carry on.

———

If you plan on putting extra drives in those PC’s get an external drive dock and pre-load them. Drive docks are also handy to recover data off a crashed system’s drives via a working machine so a handy tool to have when you are maintaining multiple computers. I have a dual drive one for SATA drives and recently bought a ROG STRIX Arion for NVMe drive work.

Spend more time at Christmas enjoying it!

3 Likes

My problem is that the kids are home 100% of the time pretty much. And our house is pretty small, so I don’t really have an “off limits” room to do something like that. They are only in school two days a week…one goes Mon/Tues, the other goes Thur/Fri and they are both home Wednesday (COVID protocol). So I have nowhere to sneak the CPUs to to do the updates.

I might have to rig up some network cables to their rooms in a hacked way until I can get someone out to run legit CAT cables through the walls. At this point, I’m thinking of hiring someone to come do the whole house with real LAN wall outlets and professional installation.

Thank you for the suggestions…I’m so excited to turn those puppies on!

3 Likes

Oh I meant pre-download on your machine!
So much easier to run all the steam and other installers off a network share instead of having to browse to them all twice. You can download all the latest installers and have it all staged on your PC ready for deployment!

The steam suggestion is for launch-day, but should save some time.

1 Like

oh1

1 Like

My Mobo has dual M.2 s mounted. One is the C the other is a game drive. I should try this test.

Ok, here is mine. Yes, them little drives got to go.
UserBenchmarks: Game 136%, Desk 96%, Work 122%
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K - 93.9%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080-Ti - 146.7%
SSD: Samsung 960 Evo NVMe PCIe M.2 250GB - 202.9%
SSD: Samsung 960 Evo NVMe PCIe M.2 500GB - 190.5%
SSD: Intel X25-M 80GB - 44.5%
RAM: G.SKILL F4 DDR4 3000 C16 4x8GB - 74.9%
MBD: Asus ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (WI-FI AC)

Why does your RTX 2080ti come back as 146.7% but mine came back as 174.5%? Does the mobo and memory have some effect on the results of the GPU test as well?

They may have different core clocks out of the box. An Evga may well have higher boost clocks than a Fe
Also with the newer gpus the cooler the gpu the higher it will boost even without a manual overclock

1 Like

Im running mine stock… My memory says I need to run XMP. I am playing around in the BIOS…

I cant even reach BIOS :slight_smile: for some strange reason my TV gets signal from GPU only at Win login page :thinking:

Anyway, as I was playing around with things I updated GPU drivers. I always run on some legacy GPU driver ( because its stable and I have ok performance with it ) and I update only from time to time. When there is something I want to solve/update on my machine ( disclaimer : GPU drivers install never solved anything in my case :smiley: )

At this point I went from 452.06 to 457.09. What was interesting was that XP just crashed because of Vulkan and didnt even want to switch to Vulkan saying that my drivers are older than 440.
So I installed some previous driver 456.55 and then XP was happy with Vulkan again and I saw increase in FPS. Need to test further but there was definitely increase.

Wondering if tinkering with some older drivers can have some benefit also for you guys with RTX 30 family cards playing old sims like XP and DCS.

1 Like

I have EXACTLY the same issue.

Resolution not supported

I installed cod and left it for my son to play. I am too old for that stuff. I am quite enjoying the brief time I had on cyber punk but mainly its flying the hercules in dcs with fluid graphics in VR. Its great :heart:

2 Likes

Just because you can use a TV instead of a monitor doesn’t mean you should. :wink:
There’s a reason a TV is a lot cheaper than a monitor.

BIOS don’t support 4K res, so if your TV doesn’t support up-res from much a lower non-TV res coming out of the BIOS, you’ll see nothing. You’ll need a proper monitor to hook up to see the BIOS.

2 Likes

Try switching off Secure Boot in the UEFI. (It’s not called BIOS anymore - oh sorry I am being german again)

UserBenchmarks: Game 113%, Desk 104%, Work 104%
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K - 102.4%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080-Ti - 107.6%
SSD: Samsung 960 Evo NVMe PCIe M.2 250GB - 211.7%
SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB - 113.8%
SSD: Samsung 960 Evo NVMe PCIe M.2 500GB - 202%
HDD: WD Black 500GB (2012) - 96%
RAM: G.SKILL F4 DDR4 3000 C16 4x8GB - 93.7%
MBD: Asus ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (WI-FI AC)

Oh Look Mommy, Im going backwards… WTH!

4 Likes