Nvidia RTX Demos

Curious to see if the vast areas of chip dedicated to all those fancy ray tracing features of the new RTX 2000 series cards, I played around with these two things.

1. Quake II Raytracing. It’s quake, it’s back, in pog form!.

Actually, it’s quite neat. Download a demo here:

1. Star Wars Reflections. An Unreal engine experiment on ray-tracing:

The demo can be downloaded here, although to be honest it just looks exactly like the youtube video. They could have least let you move the camera around a bit or something:

https://images.nvidia.com/geforce-com/international/reflections-demo/Reflections_Demo.zip

So as well as BF5, Metro:Exodus and Tomb Raider there some use, although nothing really spectacular. It feels like they are ‘trying to make it happen’ but not sure it’s worth it.

2 Likes

The whole Quake II thing just seems weird right? Could have at least given us Quake III Arena :smiley:

Can’t seem to get the reflections demo to run though, says needs to be windows 10 1809+ which is interesting because I am downloading 1803 and that says 6-19 as the date?

1 Like

It’s weird because I could really remember it all when playing it again. The 90 fps bit was the weirdest part, as not used to it running so well. Graphically it hasn’t aged well, even if the pew pew has some light ups.

I ran Reflections on 1809, so didn’t realize it wouldn’t like 1803. I think the 03 was the panic one they pulled? Can’t recall.

1 Like

I was guessing the plus meant anything after that, apparently not… confuzed, I’m like a year behind because of auto updates?

*downloading 1903 now, I apparently was really really far behind as it just updated to 1803 a few minutes ago

1 Like

Microsoft moved to periodic Win10 themed feature updates, so it’s something like:

• 2.5 Version 1709 (Fall Creators Update)
  • 2.6 Version 1803 (April 2018 Update)
  • 2.7 Version 1809 (October 2018 Update)
  • 2.8 Version 1903 (May 2019 Update)

The 1903 is just coming out now on automatic updates.

1 Like

Glad you put this up otherwise I would have been none-the-wiser. I also would have been ticked off had I bothered to try testing out my 2070 before now.

1 Like