Oculus Rift and DCS

I have had my Rift CV1 in my sweaty mitts for a couple of weeks. It is hard to put into words just how amazing this technology is. Despite the relatively low resolution (compared to modern monitors), the feeling of actually being there in the cockpit is simply outstanding. Looking around is so smooth and natural. It makes my Track-IR seem like a device from a previous age.

I just flew the first two missions in the Huey campaign. I always found the Huey to be a handful, but when flown with the Rift, it becomes far easier to control. You can almost feel any sideways slip or small changes in motion. You can see how far off the ground you are because you now have real depth perception.

There are of course some downsides , ie the aforementioned resolution, difficulty in reading some of the smaller text, and using the keyboard. Looking at the overall picture though, the Rift (and I am sure the Vive ) bring so much to the table when it comes to simulation. If you are still on the fence, then I hope you take the plunge. There is no going back once you try it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You can also do this :smiley:

I have the DK2, and while the base experience is there, I struggled with the resolution limitation and the ‘screen door’ effect. I know the CV1 is higher res, but how is it picking out stuff on the ground/air targets from a distance? and have they reduced that magnified pixel ‘screen door’?

The CV1 is my first headset, and so I can’t really compare it with the DK2. In the CV1, ground targets are not easy to pick out against dark terrain. It isn’t impossible though. I have mapped a switch on my X55 throttle to toggle labels on and off when I am having problems locating a target. I am going to fiddle with setting a bit more to see if I can improve target visibility without having to resort to labels.

The screen door effect is still present but it really doesn’t affect things much. From what I have read it is much improved in comparison to the DK2. Supposedly the Rift CV1 is better in this regard when compared to the Vive as well.

1 Like