OCULUS RIFT S - Everything we KNOW

Some nice 3D printer files to allow people to use the CV1 headphones on the Rift S - could be an option if big headphones don’t fit or earbuds are not your thing:

1 Like

Hmm… I already have a better idea. :wink:

1 Like

I think the vast majority of Rift users will go Rift S - they’ll be expecting the Rift 2 and there’s a majority that go with what they know. The Rift was a very smooth experience.

If the Reverb has bad lens (as in nice panels but the overall experience is bad) and the Index is just sold out for a long time (they’ve gone to September for pre-orders, plus no Canada :wink:) then I will probably see if the Rift S goes on sale this Xmas and take a look. The rumor is that they will make a big push on price once it’s been out for 2 or 3 months, so we could see it at $299. The Lenovo build and the 80Hz panels indicate there is some gap to go in the price.

Aren’t you sat in a box? :slight_smile: I thought out of all of us you would be ok with fixed tracking stations, given that you literally have an amazing cockpit seat to use.

I love you to bits @Troll, but I respectively disagree on this bit. I think clarity has a lot to go before VR is relaxing to use in a flight sim. Spotting, dials need some help.

That is true, although personally I think it might have been worth waiting just a couple more weeks. I think we’ll probably end up with Rift S’s anyways, but I’m not 100% sure as yet. The Reverb might be a wash if HP screw up the drivers or the lens are bad, the Index is like a million dollars, so the default next best new thing will probably be the S anyway.

1 Like

I more or less expect it to…

Well, yes… :slight_smile:
And that’s both a blessing and a curse.
The way the sensors are mounted, and the way the box is designed, the box sometimes gets in the way of the touch controllers line of sight, to the sensors. And the sensor arms take up valuable box space. Not to mention the USB cables and ports…

I have absolutely no problem with disagreements between gentlemen. :tophat:

I do agree that better resolution is needed.
What I meant was that I don’t think that the technology for retina level micro screens is that far away. The issue that the VR industry will be facing is how to get good performance with such a resolution. PC hardware need to catch up or someone has got to solve how to do foveated rendering, or something else that will help increase performance. That’s what I consider the VR industry’s main challenge.

But I used to think the Commodore Amiga was as good as computers ever would get…so… :wink:

2 Likes

OK I’m the dumb*** here. But what is “CV1”?

And you were right.

3 Likes

Consumer Version 1, the first Rift we all have. They called it ‘CV1’ because they had the Development Kit 1 and 2 (often written as DK1 and DK2) out for sale before that, so needed an acronym to indicate the ‘proper’ for sale version.

1 Like

In other words, “Rift”!

1 Like

Yeah, I just copied and pasted that summary, not mine. I never use acronyms unnecessarily :wink:.

The video is worth the short watch. I was actually surprised they were sort of ‘down’ on it, as the earlier looks they did with Oculus in the room were much more excited.

Sorry. I wasn’t poking you, @fearlessfrog. I had seen the term and figured “CV1” was a beta version of either the Oculus or the Vive. Then to read that as having the “lowest quality” left me confused. Well no kidding, they stopped making the thing three years ago. Now I see. Thanks.

2 Likes

This review goes into amazing detail, and pretty much answers just about any question one might have about the oculus Rift S

It is however in Spanish, and unless you’re a native speaker, you will need to have Google translate for you.

My question is, with all of the voluminous coverage of Rift S, why no english-language venue presented anything even half as detailed. :wacko:

Because only approximately 95% of the world’s great thinkers speak English exclusively. Every few years someone from the other 5% takes the lead.

(Totally me just being a jackhole. In other words, a joke)

Looks like we have two very similar topics on the same thing. A merge might be a bit confusing, so locking this one and pointing to here:

2 Likes