OCULUS RIFT S - Everything we KNOW

Looks nice!

I think Oculus are keen to promote and launch the stand-alone Oculus Quest pretty soon. Until that is out my guess is they just want to concentrate on that. It does seem a long time till they refreshed their PC stuff, so hopefully after the Quest launch.

Keeping my fingers crossed. I’ll be a day 1 buyer if they refresh the Rift. I will not be buying another WMR/Steam VR headset anytime soon after having a less than stellar experience with the Odyssey Plus. Admittedly, that is a personal opinion as I know that several people here have really enjoyed the O+ and it’s better displays.

5 Likes

My Rift probably averages 5 hours a week. After nearly two years there are obvious signs of wear. I am not totally confident that I have enough duct-tape and chewing gum skills to keep it going until the next generation.

Ok so that video: As a 1-language guy myself I should hesitate to fault the English skills of a non-native speaker. But man that was painful! His native tongue with subtitles might have worked better.

Yes, he has good information, but I too have trouble with his accent, and I think the first few videos of his I watched I was probably like a cartoon dog, with my head tilted sideways and a question mark over my head. :grinning:

I understand him better now, but it’s a slight chore to interpret some things, especially as he talks fast.

1 Like

What I don’t like about the Rift is that Oculus = Facebook and I am strongly opposed to Facebook.
That being said: I tried the Rift at a friend’s place and it was a pretty nice experience.

1 Like

I have both the Rift and The samsung Odyssey, and while the Odyssey has a much brighter and arguably clearer picture if you have the settings correct, The overall experience is below that of the Oculus.

The software is clunkier, The headset is uncomfortable and the controllers are awful.

In the end, it comes down to what’s important to you. A (slightly) better picture, or a better overall experience.

1 Like

Eh i dont care about the facebook connection but what I really despise about the rift is that stupid store window it insists on popping up every time you activate it. It desperately wants to be steam and i dont need nor want another steam, one is enough, thank you very much.

They’ve been super cautious with the PC device of doing anything Facebooky. People are watching pretty hard, as you can imagine. For the upcoming mobile stuff the bar is a little different, as it’s more a self-contained ‘console’ device.

I agree with that. Great screen, poor fit design. You basically have to get the aftermarket stuff. I don’t mind the controllers that much, but they are not in the same league as the Oculus Touch things. The $299 for that screen though…

Hardware was the loss leader, make it up in software sales through a new store. It’s a tough market to get in to as Valve is the incumbent and there is a natural stickiness to a single games library. What Epic are doing (as are Discord as well) by offering exclusives and better dev publishing deals might do it, but if anyone was going to make a bridgehead in terms of a new PC store it was probably never going to be Facebook.

1 Like

Unless you learned the fact from Redit or a forum such as this one, you would likely never know that your new Oculus has any association with FaceBook.

They do ask for a Facebook login at install time, but it’s optional and you can skip it. I think they were always super aware of people installing 2 USB cameras on their desktop that have to always face you, and then calling it a Facebook Device in any way. :slight_smile:

Since the Rift launch a few years ago, the Oculus brand has been crept down a bit in prominence, as it is no longer a separate entity and organizationally now part of ‘Facebook VR’. The old Oculus CEO is now a ‘unit manager’ at Facebook. They did cash out for a lot of money, post acquisition and vesting.

The Zuck will do the next product launch. An old photo but it always makes me laugh for some reason…

It was in the news here back then. And my friends and I discussed it a lot because of what Facebook is and what they do.

But I understand what you are trying to say. Good to hear that you don’t need a FB account or something.

The Facebook aspect is very non-intrusive with the Rift. Hopefully that will continue with subsequent versions.

Facebook doesn’t bother me too much. We are all easy to find online to some extent. That’s part of the reason am generally not too bothered about hiding my name on forums such as this one.

10 posts were split to a new topic: Online privacy, or something

A post was merged into an existing topic: Online privacy, or something

2 Likes

Rift S Review - worth a watch.

Summary (stolen from reddit):

Paraphrasing:

• Comfortable, decent ergonomics. No pressure on face.
  • No vertical tilt is a mild annoyance.

• Software IPD, no hardware. But 9 year olds thought it was good and indistinguishable from other headsets

• Passthrough is magic. Setup happens in headset. Guardian can be drawn with touch controllers.

• Lower SDE. Noticeable res improvement over Rift, but not the best they’ve seen. They’re saying the CV1 is far behind in terms of picture quality.

• No nausea with 80Hz, but definitely a downgrade

• Sound is a major letdown compared to the CV1. Good stereo separation and positional audio, but they’re too far away. No fidelity, no bass, no satisfaction. Cannot be excused on the PC headset. Writers choose to wear headphones but it’s cumbersome. No earbuds included, unlike Vive.

• They had a good experience in Echo Arena. Even with hands behind the headset, it seldom lost tracking. You really have to push your body to lose tracking, easily worked around. The IMU in the headset is good enough for 360 tracking. Not 100% great, but acceptable.
  • Not true black. Try before you buy if you’re susceptible/anal.

Tl;dr Writers not recommending upgrading from CV1 (the existing Rift we have today), keeping theirs too. Resolution bump is not significant enough to buy an entirely new headset. Only worth it for those new to VR. Look to the Quest instead.

Tl;dr Tl;dr Nothing we didn’t already know

3 Likes

I’m still upgrading to the S. Wags’ comments alone make it worth the upgrade IMHO. I have ordered through Amazon, so I can always return it if the experience is disappointing.

I should add that if I wasn’t into flight sims I probably wouldn’t bother upgrading. Just a little extra clarity will make quite a difference in DCS though.

1 Like

I think the Rift S will be fine. Wags sold a lot of units for sure. :slight_smile:

If you don’t need to compare it with anything else coming out then you can’t go wrong.

2 Likes

Me too!
We’re rebels, you and me! :wink:

I do know that the Rift S isn’t my last VR headset, though…

I got three good years out of my Rift, and I’ll keep it for my daughter.
The way things look right now, I guess the Rift S will get swapped in maybe 1-1 1/2 years.
We’ll see.

That’s my thinking as well. I’m actually quite happy with the Rift. Yeah, I could use slightly higher resolution. What I really want is inside out tracking.

Now, I have made stupid PC hardware predictions before, so bear with me…

I don’t think we need a whole lot more VR resolution…! Like TV’s, they will soon level of at a resolution higher than what’s perceiveable for the human retina. I guess that will happen in just a few years.
Beyond that, the future in VR will be about wireless signals and performance.

So, I think we’ll see a lot of new development in VR, in just a couple of years, that will make todays headsets obsolete. So, I’m not too concerned about which headset I buy today.

Did that make any sense, at all? :blush:

1 Like