Oculus - Should I Buy It?

Can someone tell me if the Oculus is worth buy for the DCS World

1 Like

Yes I can

1 Like

It’s very subjective!
I have the Rift, and I love it.
There are drawbacks that you will have to accept, such as lowering your settings in DCS, because VR is very demanding on your PC Hardware. The resolution, even if it’s better than HD isn’t good enough to read fine text in the cockpit, for instance.
For me, and I can’t stress this enough, FOR ME
the advantages totally makes up for the disadvantages. But I can’t guarantee that you will feel the same.

My best advice is to buy from someone who accepts returns or try before you buy.

1 Like

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY, also how hard is it to adjust and set-up, with sensors etc, thanks

1 Like

Every time this comes up, I’m reminded of browsing through the Mechwarrior 2 manual and seeing the control entry for the Virtual I/O I-Glasses. My feeling is still that a monitor + TrackIR is still the better way to go, just for resolution and power concerns.

Setup was really easy! Just follow the interactive guide.

1 Like

Much better that the Virtual I/O iGlasses! :yum:

But seriously, yes, that’s your opinion. And many feel that way. Others, like me, can’t fly a flightsim without VR support. It’s near impossible to convey how one feel about VR. That’s why it’s so important to try it out.

Unfortunately, I’ve yet to find a headset that won’t knock off my implant. :slightly_frowning_face:

Hey thanks million, take care

1 Like

Thank Franze for Reply and I’am looking at TrackIR but do not understand it as yet

TrackIR is used to change your flight sim view while moving your head slightly. It’s sort of like how you can use a hat switch on a joystick to change your view (look up, down etc) but much more natural. You use it with a standard monitor.

For the Oculus Rift do check out some of the articles here:

They are older but still good for gathering info on if VR would work ok for you.

Personally, if you have a good PC then VR is the way to go for immersion of flight and driving. Like others had said, if you’re not sure then try to get a demo somewhere. I know the Microsoft Stores in the US still do VR demos.

1 Like

When it comes to immersion nothing beats VR. It simply is stunning in DCS and can make many tasks like air to air refueling infinitely easier. On the other hand, I simply find that I am far less effective as a player when using it vs. triple monitors/track IR. The resolution (for me) for things at a distance is just not polished enough for me to use it full time. Patiently waiting for generation 2 headsets to arrive

I think it’s a bit like the ‘Kindle beats Books’ thing, where the natural comparisons when a new thing comes along is to try to turn it into a strict dichotomy of where one is always better than the other. I like my Kindle, it’s useful to have a lot of books available when travelling. Have I stopped buying paper books? Nope, and probably never will. I like the Kindle and I like still like books. :eyeglasses:

The ideal would be to have a giant TV, plus a three-screen ultra-high variable refresh rate monitor set and a brand new set of VR v2 panels as well. That way I can jump between which peripheral is right for how I want to play and what I want to play. Rocket League on the couch is great with a big TV. Playing DOTA 2 is better on the 3 screens. I like the feel of flying in VR (even if I’m not competitive in MP).

The displays (including VR) are just peripherals, and sometimes the narrative is that they are ‘systems’ you buy where you have to choose which one you must play all the time. I don’t really buy into that.

The title of this tread:

Oculus - Should I Buy It?

is incomplete as it currently reads. It should be:

Oculus - Should I Buy It for Hangar200?

The answer is a resounding "Yes! "
nuff said.

(delivery address to follow
prefer next-day FEDEX or UPS)

:wink:

5 Likes

I won’t fly DCS without my Rift. Seriously.
I fly sims to emulate the experience of flying aircraft I will not get the chance to fly in real life. For that purpose, VR is tops.

If being competitive in a multiplayer environment is the primary factor that influences your enjoyment of the sim then Track-IR and a good monitor( or multiple monitors) would be the way to go.

Like Paul here, I too need my Rift to fly. I tried going back to TrackIR and my curved 34" screen, before I decided to sell it. It didn’t do it for me, anymore. I kept wanting back to VR.
That said, if I had the space available for a real cockpit, with multiple projectors and working gauges, I’d prefer that. But that’s unfortunately not an option, today. So, for me, VR is also a space saving device.
But, that’s due to my limitations and needs.

1 Like

Let me elaborate a bit on my first post.

VR pro’s:

• Using your neck in a 1:1 relation to what you see allows your body and brain to apply all kinds of instinctive spatial reasoning. Your brainstem knows where you are looking at and the rate of change tells you how fast and where it is moving and none of those calculations need to be done by your front ‘thinking’ brain. It just receives that info in realtime. The result is awesome sweet situational awareness. You are there and you know what is around you and how it moves. This makes all the things where keen perception of your position in space in relation to something else is key (landing, BFM, shooting, bombing, barnstorming) infinitely better.
  • You are there. The immersion factor, the feeling of not sitting with your beer-gut in a cheap ikea desk chair at a desk staring at a screen holding a toy flightstick but actually sitting in a cockpit of a majestic and complicated totalhelldeathmachine is through the bleeping roof with VR.

VR con’s:

• Need a monster computer capable of pushing all those pixels at blazing speed consistently or VR becomes too choppy to work.
  • Resolution is too low to properly spot distant things.
  • Resolution is too low to easily read things.

The pro’s outweigh the con’s by a landslide. There’s also a function called VR-zoom in both il-2 and DCS that mitigates the resolution issues somewhat.
Like some of the other guys, I can no longer enjoy a flight sim in 2D. It’s flat and lifeless and even with a trackIR, my situational awareness sucks so bad I feel like a blind man in a room full of angry knife wielders.

2 Likes

I ordered a Samsung Odyssey VR: no sensors setup and 2x as many pixels. It is arriving this Friday.

Also, @schurem you forgot one VR con that I am reading a lot about this season: sweaty face. (And if wearing glasses, foggy glasses)

Still, pros should outweigh the cons, if you have a good enough card (GTX 980/1070 equivalent seems to be the “definitely good enough” point for DCS World")

1 Like

Yep, for the stand-up physical games it gets really hot.

Plus another con worth mentioning, and it happens to nearly all new VR users, is motion sickness. If you get a game that wasn’t really designed for VR or your computer struggles to give a good framerate then it’s easy to feel unwell using it. :face_vomiting:

I have a small fan on my desk that I use when I’m using the Rift. Works great to keep me cool, which in turn reduces if not eliminates the issue of fogging.