Official 5th Annual Mudspike Christmas Flight - discussion thread

That’s not the one I remembered but wow! What I great site. Thanks!:slightly_smiling_face:

I thought this might have. even it…
http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/Previews/727/preview_downloads.html

…but no joy. I’ve got a closet and a garage to look through.

1 Like

It IS an affliction isn’t it?? :rofl:

Yes. That was awful to see. :frowning:

Would the “new guys” even know how to do that? :rofl: (I had a guy ask me…seriously…what DME hold was for on the NAV radio a few years back…)

I’m actually surprised that is an altitude the 727 could go to for some reason. I would have figured it to be a mid 30s airplane…but then again, turbojets are actually more efficient at high altitude than turbofans…so it stands to reason…

All the large flight attendants provide service to the aft passenger cabin…all the waifs get First Class… :rofl:

soupe1

3 Likes

:slightly_smiling_face:

In the spirit of your curiosity, I put your flight into Simbrief to see the numbers it comes up with.

Here’s the results:

Block fuel recommended would be: 23,304 lbs due to the alternate added of SKAR. Contingency of 15 mins.

The FP calculates a burn of: 10,104lbs so slightly higher than what your actual was, but the recommended cruise flight level was lower at FL320.

500lbs or thereabouts saving… enough for you to siphon off and put in your yacht. :crazy_face:

1 Like

Alas, mine runs on diesel.

I notice that the fuel is configured with each tank feeding it’s corresponding engine. i.e. the cross feed valves closed for Number 1 and 3; Boost pumps on for Number 1 and 3. (for those unfamiliar with the 727 FE panel, see below)

Ffrom my pervious 727 sim, this was the fuel configuration plan that I recall:
Take Off: Fuel tanks 1,2,3 individually feed engines 1,2,3 (as shown above)
Cruise: Cross feed from fuel tank 2 to engines 1 and three by opening the cross feed valves on number 1 and 3 and turning off the boost pumps for fuel tanks 1 and 3.
Descent or when amount remaining in Tank 2 (in lbs) is approximately the same as the amount remaining 1 and/or 3. Fuel tanks 1,2,3 individually feed engines 1,2,3

For this to work the amount (weight) of fuel in tank 2 must be higher than the amount of fuel in tanks 1 and 3. Tank 2 is much larger than 1 and 3– 32,000 lbs as compared to 12,000 lbs–and may be considered the “main tank”, i.e. 133% greater than 1 and 3 combined. Obviously once the remaining fuel in tank 2 is equal to the individual amount of fuel in tank 1 and tank 2 (separately; not combined) then you go back to the initial configuration for equal fuel flow from all three tanks.

This is where the FJS fuel loader is less than helpful. It loads all three tanks equally. (I assume once tanks 1 and 3 are full it continues to fill 2…haven’t checked that yet.) I may be way off base on this. I can see a rational for loading all 3 with equal weights (and separate feed configuration) up through tanks 1 and 3 become full…but…

That said - let me thank @Sine_Nomine and @BeachAV8R for looking into this. Nowhere but Mudspike does this kind of great help exist. :slightly_smiling_face:

EDIT: Just ran the Fuelplanner.com numbers for my next leg KCHA-KSGF. For a normal 727-200 if shows 25,862 lbs. For the FJS 727-200F it shows 16,544 lbs - so a 9,282 lb difference…that seems like a lot.

3 Likes

Trust me, it will very, very happily burn JP5.

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Official 2019 Mudspike Christmas Flight AAR thread

A post was merged into an existing topic: Official 2019 Mudspike Christmas Flight AAR thread

I made the same mistake :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think this year. I’m going to gatecrash random posts throughout the site with my reports. Keets’ Xmas treasure hunt. Find the AAR. :grin:

Thanks @fearlessfrog BTW. :+1:

3 Likes

I’m inching closer to Melbourne so i need to start planning this flight.

I’m still undecided about what aircraft to pick.

I’ve bought each module so far with a gradual learning purpose in mind (Super Cub for tail dragger, PA-28 Turbo Arrow for constant speed prop and radio navigation, Duchess for multi engine etc.).

I’d like to continue in this vein but pick something a bit faster to give me a bit more legs. Ideally it would be a good learning platform for something, be it victor airways, a new type of engine (turboprop / jet) or something else.

The TBM 900 looks nice and would probably be really good. My hesitation is that it’s an all glass cockpit and I think I’d like to keep flying the traditional six pack for now. I’d also like to move away from using GPS as a crutch the way I’ve done so far.

I know, just another indecisive “waah what module should I buy wahh” post…sorry about that! Just thinking “aloud” here. I need to do my research and see if I can find a module that fits the bill. Maybe a slightly older turboprop.

3 Likes

Maybe the Airfoil Labs B350 or the Carenado PC12 with the Reality Expansion Pack ?

5 Likes

I’m giving this one a good, long look; I’d been looking at the LES Saab 340A, but the more I’ve read, the more I’m thinking I’ll wait for the (promised) update, to avoid risking buying the plane twice.

Regardless, it’ll be a while before I can start my flight anyway- about to pack up the PC for an upcoming move, then it’ll be a matter of rebuilding the home office.

2 Likes

Thanks for that!

That King Air looks like a really good candidate.

It’s a big step up from my current aircraft, especially as I’ve barely tipped my toes into flight planning and instrument flight rules etc…but in saying that, fuel and airframes are free in XP so I suppose there’s no harm in learning in something that doesn’t take forever to go from VOR to VOR (I’m looking at you, Duchess and Turbo Arrow).

Heaps to learn but it looks like a really good quality module. Also, Mudspike has rather well qualified people to pester if I were to get stuck with that particular aircraft :stuck_out_tongue: I’m just having a read of @BeachAV8R’s notes here:

5 Likes

The features in that King Air module look pretty amazing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUpBH_daFyk

4 Likes

Indeed, it’ll be an Auckland start for me, you are right…it is not a short journey. Also, the two months before christmas tend to get crazy at work, so my flying time will be limited.

I have been sticking to smaller aircraft, working my way up from the basic Cessna and Piper and trying not to go “bum first up a tree”, as one might say.

In saying that, as you said - there is no harm in being bold! :slight_smile: There is also the very real matter of real life time and commitments: a jet might actually make it possible for me to do a short leg in real time rather than using time acceleration, which would be great.

I will need to give this some thought while I watch the Australian desert slowly roll below. Hopefully tonight I’ll crawl closer to Melbourne again. Thank you for the input, it is a tempting one also! The fact that there’s a Chuck’s guide for the 737-200 is a big bonus.

2 Likes

Isn’t there an A-4K you could fly? It would be quick enough but perhaps slightly lacking in the legs department. Can you place CVBG’s in xplane?

4 Likes

For me it is Melbourne. It is closer from the bar there than from my home airport :slight_smile:

‘Ground speed acceleration’ all the way. There isn’t plane capable of 800kts, or is there? :wink:

Btw FLYJSIM sale is gone.

3 Likes

There is a pretty nice Concorde for XP11 now. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

How is that progressing Paul? I have been holding off for a bit as I thought it wasnt quite cooked yet. What’s the verdict as I’m extremely close to pulling the trigger on the king air 350…but this might change my mind

2 Likes

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Official 2019 Mudspike Christmas Flight - AAR thread