Official 5th Annual Mudspike Christmas Flight - discussion thread

Synthetic vision is where, instead of the traditional ‘blue over brown’ attitude indicator, you see a representation of the 3D terrain ahead of you on the PFD. Kind of a flight sim representation of the terrain with all the usual PFD information overlaid.

3 Likes

OK…I had heard it called something different. FSWidgets has something similar - XTAWS - stand alone for XP11 - can use it with any aircraft. (I helped test it).

Yep I’ll be in FSX for this one. Thanks!

1 Like

Yes it is. Most new business jets come with it now, and I was flying a G1000 equipped King Air that had it about 10 years ago now. I believe that the new C-Series (I refuse to call it the A220) has it too. To be honest, I would trade the EVS system on the Global XRS for Synthetic Vision in a heartbeat.

1 Like

So…working the FSX scenery for PAAT… @BeachAV8R, you know that this whole place is like just the LORAN station and an itty bitty transient ramp…:open_mouth: I’m going to miss the tropical Tiki bar from last year’s destination. :grin:

A post was merged into an existing topic: Official 2019 Mudspike Christmas Flight AAR thread

Turn off the fuel dumps :wink::rofl:

4 Likes

Umm…not to be nit picking…I thought there was another thread for AARs…

3 Likes

Beach you confused your-self completely :smile:

Initialy :

Later :

And now your AAR back here :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I did. I think what confused me was someone (cough) asked for an AAR thread when it was stated at the top of this one to add your AAR to this thread. So now I’m definitely confused. But I do have the power to move my post!

And done…

wipe1

5 Likes

I didn’t notice that line, it was just that I was used to having the screens and AARs of the Christmas Flight in a Screens & AARs topic separate from the announcement thread. I thought we used to do that in previous years. I should have read properly before posting.

You also have the power to move all of the posts from the other thread to this one. Just do it if this confuses you, because it is probably confusing to more people then.

Yeah…I could lock the other one too since it was informational. But then again, watching me be confused can be pretty entertaining…

confused1

3 Likes

I thought this thread was the informational one which has to be locked and the other was for the AARs. Now I am also confused :upside_down_face: :wink:

Not closed this thread yet!? :slight_smile:

OK. So just finished McRobertson Air Race. I will be at the bar for some time now for sure. But what then?

This Race was exhibition of ‘low and slow’. What is not complaint. But wondering if I am up to another low 'n slow run to Aleutes.

I guess I will not start at home airport. If I take off then from Melbourne. Considering that helo won’t be the best candidate for a ride ( but ‘ground speed acceleration’ is also possible option ) :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This year I’ll be doing (trying) this event in XP11. I find myself running into a couple of speedbumps when it comes to scenery…and some other stuff.

I haver decided on FJS’s 727. I’ll turn on the maintenance functions (wear-and-tear / broken stuff) and take a down day for to fix any damage more than a blown tire. I’m also going no GPS (VORs and ADF). So far so good.

I am planning on a route in about 1-2 hour legs, staying out of huge airports. Ive found some interesting challenges. For example, the XP sceneries for LCRW (Charleston WV; 2 in X-Plane.org downloads - I’ve tried both) is hillier than…um…something very hilly. [Insert WV hillbilly comment here] In one version I start rolling off the apron as soon as I take off the parking brake…so much for a push back. Louisville KY (KSDF; also from Xplane.org) is missing its runways (it gives me an error message but no hint on why). Springfield MO (KSGF) is all there (I’ll use it) and reasonably level but it needs a Russian scenery library (RuScenery) - found an XP9 version but no joy.

I haven’t even started with the Ortho stuff since I recall it takes a long time to download those files.

Any ideas? :thinking:

Finally, for the RW pilots: How did you all find Fixes/Intersections before GPS? I’m thinking range/bearing from a VOR but can’t seem to find that on the charts I’m using. I guess let the flight planner figure it out for me…that seems like “cheating”? :open_mouth:

Usually by using cross radials from an NDB or VOR. Fly along the desired radial of one VOR or NDB and wait until pass a specific radial from/to another beacon off to the side of your course. Easy enough if you have two OBI’s or ADF’s. A bit more complicated if you only have one instrument to work with.

There’s probably plenty of us that can send you a copy of ruscenery if it’s no longer available

OK…the 727 has 2 of each. I seem to remember something like that fro a while back…actually, now that you mention it, I used something similar in my simNovel. :thinking:

I ask because many of the STARs/SIDs/Approach plates I’ve beed studying always seem to have a couple of Fixes that don’t seem “attached” to a particular NAVAID. I guess that’s what makes flying these old beasts more fun. Thanks! :grin:

That would be great. :slightly_smiling_face:

I downloaded the only version I could find and it seems to be for XP9. XP11 gives me a “Can’t Find or Out of Date” error message. I’m thinking out of date. This is the from the install text file that came with it.

RuScenery

Library of USSR and CIS airfields objects.
http://ruscenery.x-air.ru/

Installation

Uncompress ruscenery folder to “/X-Plane 9/Custom Scenery/” directory.
Please do not rename folder!
Otherwise sceneries made with ruscenery library will not work properly.