Official 5th Annual Mudspike Christmas Flight - discussion thread

But you always pick such beautiful, slow planes to do it in…

(Says the guy who’s seriously thinking about doing this one in the Beech 18).

3 Likes

I for one will miss them. They certainly had high entertainment value :frowning:

4 Likes

I concur - I hope for more of them for sure!

3 Likes

I’m thinking about either the Bush 172 or the Mu-2 at this point…

1 Like

I did a tiny bit of planning.

From where I live going north (Spitsbergen, then almost north pole, then Siberia and then to the aleutian islands) is the shortest way.
Problem is that there are not that many usable airports there, and flying over mostly empty russia is a tad boring.
So I might actually go north but then west, flying Norway, Iceland, maybe Greenland, and then through Canada with a few hops. Might be more interesting.

Probably going to use a business jet, aiming for 3000+ (whoops! Kilometers not miles) legs or so. Haven’t decided yet.

4 Likes

Some more thinking:

The destination airport has ~5800ft of runway. That shouldn’t be a big problem for pretty much every business jet.
I am sloooowly gravitating toward the dden Challenger 300, which is available for Xplane11 as payware. Has anyone of y’all tried it? Is it worth the bucks?

Edit english:

2 Likes

It’s pretty good. My only caveat being that it uses the default X-Plane FMS. If you are going to buy an airplane for this trip, you might want to also look at the Carenado Falcon 50.

1 Like

Technically not poetry although a wonderful word picture that made me literally LOL for quite a while.

Let’s see…maybe some Haiku…

the stars above shine
by sextant the path is true
soft hum moves him on

4 Likes

As discussed

5 Likes

Nice looking route! I can’t wait to read about the history of the Panama Canal…and 2Y3…interesting…

1 Like

Oooohhh that looks like a great plane!
I just watched the YT Review of “Blu Games” and it sounds really nice. Do you know whether the little issues he had with it were fixed (no door sounds, no GPU sounds and… something else I don’t remember).

You can save 10 bucks on the following pack :wink:

1 Like

That is good too, but the TBM has synthetic vision, which is kind of cool, especially in mountainous areas.

I agree, that cockpit is probably worth the 10 more.

1 Like

I wonder if we’ll have MS Flight Simulator 2020 available in time for us to do this flight? :thinking:

2 Likes

Thanks for your quick response! I did find your topic after your first reply, and started my report. But real life got in the way, and I underestimated how much time it takes to write a report. After 2 days of existing as a draft, the post is finally sort of acceptable. And I haven’t even cropped out the plugin menus :man_facepalming:,

1 Like

Any ideas about getting some Greenland in X-Plane 11? I have been googling, but nothing promising popped up yet.

I did try downloading Orthos, but Arcgis does not have photos of Greenland. According to a forum post I found, neither does Bing.

I bought the H-Simulators Greenland a couple years back. It is only mesh though, not ortho, but it does come with a bunch of airports if you want to also explore Greenland. I’d be tempted to build my own ortho for it somehow…

That looks pretty good, but the price is a bit high for just a Christmas Flight. I understand there are many airports and towns modeled, but if I could simply only buy the mesh for ten bucks, that would be perfect. There is some pretty good freeware scenery in X-Plane for most airports already.

ckalameao at the .org made this, with a few tiles of mesh around it, made using meshtool, and I also discovered that an Alert Base scenery has been added to the X-Plane Gateway by him.

What?! No witty quips from our European brothers about the U.S. wanting to buy the place? :grin:

(Note: I’m staying out of the political aspects of this in accordance with Mudspike rules - not saying I’m for or against, just that it has been a news item in recent weeks.)

4 Likes