Official 8th Annual Mudspike Christmas Flight 2022 Discussion and AAR Thread

The ‘guy’ I flew to Vegas, everyone calls him Big Al. I don’t know why? I mean he’s a little on the heavy side but he isn’t that big!

Anyway, Big Al asked if I liked card games because he and some buddies were having a poker night and I was welcome to join them.

“That would be great” I said. I have played a hand or two of Texas hold 'em before and some company would be nice.

Great blokes they were too. According to Big Al they are “a bunch of ‘wise guys’ out of New York and Philly”… not sure what that means, maybe they’re university professors or something?

Long story short, I did OK at the card table and probably made enough to hire a plane for the rest of the journey. I really didn’t want to be arriving at Charlotte in a Greyhound.

No not that kind of Greyhound…

This kind.

Big Al said that he “knows a guy, who knows a guy” (these blokes sure say that a lot!) who has a plane for hire but it is up at Tonopah which is a three hour drive, but he can have his limo take me. Hey that is just up the road as far as I’m concerned, so off I go.

Too find this little beauty parked on the apron.

Yeah, kicking it old school baby, with just enough modern additions to reduce my chances of getting lost (or geographically embarrassed as we used to say in the Army).

Now, where to from here? I have a mate in Denver who could put me up for a night or two, only about a three hour flight. Yeah, why not?

The red-neck mechanic who handed it over to me didn’t inspire a lot of confidence in it’s maintenance history and I’ve never flown one of these before, but how hard can it be? Besides, what could possibly go wrong?

Oh yeah, that!!! Goddamn Billy Bob could have warned me that if I pull the props all the way back it feathers them and cuts the engine. At least I found out on the ground.

But once I have that sorted, I’m on my way.

I’ve heard these old radials can be a bit fragile if you push them, so while I keep them at max continuous for the climb out, once I’m there I think I will ‘baby’ them for the rest of the flight, even if it does take a bit longer.

After an uneventful flight, I hooked out to the right so I could line up for final at KDEN

This is looking good?

And best landing yet, didn’t quite grease it in, but touched down almost right on the piano keys :slight_smile:

Time to let my mate know I’m here, hope he has beer in the fridge… if not we can pick up a six pack on the way.

11 Likes

According to Chuck Berry going to Charlotte in a Greyhound is fine, the problem is that it will break down in Birmingham.

Nice reports!

3 Likes

@Aginor So glad somebody got that reference - welcome to the Promised Land my brother :wink:

2 Likes

One of my favourite songs. I plan to follow the track described in its lyrics in a MSFS flight soon. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

After a pleasant and quiet night catching up with my mate, it is time to get this show on the road again. Having time to actually think about how I am going to get from here to Charlotte has been beneficial.

I now have a plan… sort of.

Next leg will be to St Louis, just to get into the ‘Spirit’ of things - see what I did there :wink:

And away we go…

This reminds me of much of central Australia, miles and miles of flat ground… much greener though :wink:

Oh yeah and I have another passenger, legit this time. A friend of my mate was heading to St Louis for a Blues gig and asked for a ride.

And just for something different… cloud :frowning:

About 50 miles out and it looks OK below the cloud layer. I much prefer a VFR approach so I might just drop below it. I mean, what could possibly go wrong?

Lots! Holy sheepshit Batman, this aint good and if this thing was bucking around any more I would be entering it in a rodeo… I have to be breaking a ton of regs flying this low here, but too late now.

Even though I had my Nav set to the correct freq for an ILS approach. I managed to pick up 12R (visually) from about half a mile away for a very, very short final. In my panic to get my speed down ASAP I did what Billy Bob back at Tonopah forgot to warn me about and pulled power AND props right back… I have just made my first dead stick landing and survived :pray:

Still, better than some of my efforts in the G-IV and once I got those engines running again I managed to taxi over to the GA apron. Apparently the tower wants a word with me.

And my passenger. Well according to him, next time he is taking the bus.

11 Likes

Bah! I am sure you handled it beautifully! I am willing to bet his guitar didn’t even move! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

lucky you :slight_smile: I guess I wont make it on time, but I am in no hurry …

backseater : … no hurry!? really !?
frontseater : did you see that ?
backseater : whaat ?

backseater : now I see !
frontseater : you see, enough time for one canyon run

backseater : did you just say one !?
frontseater : hey, stop it !

frontseater : yeeehaaa !
backseater : I saw enough

frontseater : did you see that ? this country is low level heaven !
backseater : hey, stop it !

backseater : did you notice that we are too high ?
frontseater : hey, stop it !

backseater : I told you !! now you have blown both tires …
frontseater : … uhmmm … she is faster than Delfín :smirk:

12 Likes

Nice save @Harry_Bumcrack! Those are the stories you remember. :joy:

Well, if you are going to be late, you might as well be late in style!

Beautiful aircraft and shots!

2 Likes

I still have a hankering for those Maryland crab cakes in Baltimore, but I reckon I will have to pay a visit to my Great Uncle Rex in Toronto.

After all, to have come so far and be so close it would be an insult not to. Besides, I haven’t had a good Poutine for ages (I have tried making it at home using bocconcini because we can’t get the proper cheese curds here, but it just isn’t the same).

Rex Sutcliffe is my Dad’s Uncle. After not getting accepted for pilot training in the RNZAF he emigrated to Canada and was.

I’m not sure of all the types he flew during his RCAF service but I know that the CF-101 and CF-104 were two. Upon leaving the RCAF he flew for Air Canada, L-1011’s and then cargo of the non self-loading kind after he was ‘too old’ to fly passengers.

I don’t know if he is still flying these days, he is in his eighties, but as recently as three years ago he was teaching Air Force Cadets how to fly gliders.

I’d love to give him a go in this Beech.

CYYZ it is then.

Lovely day for a flight. Clear conditions for a change. Hmm, I wonder how that could have happened :thinking:

That has to be Detroit, so I am on course.

Hello Canadia

I’m actually loving these short finals

And this baby is sweet

Uncle Rex was was waiting and most impressed with my rental, he has flown the tail dragger version. I didn’t know this but Beech 18’s can barrel roll!

He said to not ‘overthink’ the flight manual…

… they don’t count as an acrobatic manouvre because if you do it right you maintain +1G. Tomorrow we are going to take it up and he is going to show me how.

Sounds like fun. What could possibly go wrong?

9 Likes

Time to catch up on my AAR’s…

I flew this leg several days ago but didn’t get around to writing it up.

Exeter to Goodwood in the Aeroplane heaven Spitfire Mk 1a

Tucking up the gear I start an immediate turn to the southeast.

I follow the coast for a few minutes and I’m back in familiar territory. Here we see the small town of Beer (yes, the town is actually called Beer :beers: :beer: :beer: :beers: :sunglasses:), and beyond that we have Seaton and Axmouth.

After turning up the Axe valley (named after the river Axe) I fly over my old home town of Colyton. I lived here from the age of 11 until I joined the RAF at 18.

On the other side of the valley is the village of Musbury where my Grandmother lived.

I turned back to the coast and continued eastward…this is Lyme Regis with it’s famous harbour (known as the Cobb). I used to enjoy sitting on the Cobb eating fish and chips while watching the boats coming and going.

Continuing along the coast, I passed Portland Bill, which is a very prominent landmark. It was also the site of a Royal Navy base until the late 90’s .

Beyond Portland, I head toward Bournemouth and Southampton. Here, I am about to fly over Brownsea Island, which is where Sir Robert Baden Powell conducted the first Boy Scout camp back in 1907.

Southampton airport in sight…seeing as I’m flying an early mark Spitfire, it seems only right that I do a flypast… (the prototype spitfire made it’s first flight from here in 1936).

It was just as well that I didn’t intend to land here and that AI driven ‘Heavy’ was seemingly stuck on the runway.

Finally we reach Goodwood…

Turning final over the racetrack…

Goodwood is home to several Spitfires including G-IRTY the silver Mk IX that flew around the world back in 2019. G-IRTY is sat there in the hangar.

11 Likes

Talking of G-IRTY… it seems fitting that I should fly her for the next leg, a short hop to Biggin Hill.

She’s very shiny!

Goodbye Goodwood!

The flight track took me straight over Gatwick airport. It looks a little empty down there.

Biggin Hill in sight…

Setting up for the downwind leg with London’t skyline in the background.

A nice curved approach to the runway although maybe just a little bit tighter than planned.

But the touchdown was smooth.

10 Likes

Beautiful. How is the Mk.IA? I’ve rarely met a Spitfire that I didn’t like.

Aaaaaand I’ve just found where I’m going to retire.

3 Likes

Looks like I retired in the wrong place? Perhaps one day I will have to meet you there for a… beer? :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

The Spitfire is definitely easy on the eye. The Mk 1A is pretty good IMHO, the only weakness is the sound of the engine even after AH worked on improving that aspect. The Mk 9 by FlyingIron feels heavier and sounds more powerful (as it should), but I have to say that if you want to feel like you are sat behind a Merlin, then the sound of the new P40F by iniBuild is second to none.

3 Likes

After two legs flying the Spitfire, I thought it would be fun to fly something a little more sedate. Keeping with the RAF theme of the last few hops, Ant’s Tiger Moth seemed just the ticket…

Seeing as we have a tail skid rather than a wheel, I decided to take off from the grass adjacent to the runway…

It certainly is a misty morning…with an almost eerie calm.

The mist was getting thicker…

And then it briefly took on a weird blue tint and started swirling… something like this…

I just flew right through it… . Bob, my co-pilot was not all that impressed, but in an instant everything was back to normal… Things seemed kind of different though…looking down there just didn’t seem to be enough houses…was I lost? I saw hangars up ahead and decided to land to ask for some directions…

The airfield markings were…unusual…but I guess this is Croyden although the old airport there was built over many years ago…

I flew a downwind leg and couldn’t help but notice the collection of vintage cars in front of what I can only assume was the terminal.

Safely down…time to find out what’s going on .

Isn’t that a Handley Page H.P.45?

And I have no clue as to what that bucket of bolts is!

I decided to park next to a JU52…it looked pristine.

I shut down and left the aeroplane parked while Bob and I went off to get some answers… :rofl:

So, I’m sure you have all figured out, this is the Croyden 1935 scenery by Red Wing. They have a few other airports in their 1935 portfolio. It’s pretty neat looking around the hangars, period vehicles and aircraft.

12 Likes

Are we in for some Cygon Parrot type action? I do miss his incredibly diverse Xmas flight legs.

4 Likes

There is no way I could compete with Cygon Parrot. It was very sad that he left MudSpike, and requested that his posts all be removed. Hopefully he is doing well.

4 Likes

Your hangar is just as varied Paul :). I really enjoyed his posts and participation here at MS. We have lost some good ones over the years. For everyone who is still here, thanks for making MudSpike what is is.

4 Likes

Didn’t cygon’s departure have something to do with work? I miss him too. And beach and komemiute.

5 Likes

This time the C-17 will go from Hanscom AFB, close to Boston, to Dover AFB, close to Washington. It’s an early morning flight, briefly after sunrise.

Being close to Boston, this common unhealthy breakfast option is on order:

For this plane this is a very short hop - probably for most planes nowadays. So I merely take 10% fuel with me and even this might be way too much. I hope the weather clears up on the way and we can see a bit of Manhattan, at least from a distance.

The plane is on the runway and the take-off is imminent.

Nothing happens during the start, all goes as planned. Initial climb out is very smooth, despite the foul weather.

Glad I learned to turn off those lights. Now I only need to remember to turn them back on before landing …

Following the magenta line with the autopilot, time to take some screens.

Note that I grabbed more skins and now fly the appropriate Dover looks.

Sun and moon clearly visible at this altitude.

Running in some heavy clouds. I try to outclimb them, but that doesn’t really work.

After descending several thousand feet, I get a view again. I guess we’re over Long Island now, getting closer to the Big Apple.

JFK airport to our right, quite some traffic around us. Pretty low fly-by for such a busy airport.

Somewhere below those clouds might Manhattan be. Oh well, another day for some souvenir screens is needed.

Getting closer to Washington now, leaving the clouds at height behind.

But the lower cloud layer is pretty solid now. Wonder how low they reach, and what kind of
landing that will require…

Traffic is reported, I scan the sky, are those contrails meant?

No, left and slightly higher is a fellow flyer!

The usual hectic when landing breaks out, so next screenshots from a successfull but far from perfect landing :slight_smile:

Cheers,
TeTeT

11 Likes