OpenVR fholger VR Perf Kit (FSR)

What app are you using to look at performance?

The way to remember it is OpenVR is the new name for SteamVR, where Valve tried to make their stuff the standard and released the API spec with no patents/royalties. No-one bit (or rather Facebook/Oculus ignored it, as having designs on PC VR at the time), so it took OpenXR to be the new open standard. Pretty much the only thing to use OpenXR is MSFS. So this thing for OpenVR will work with X-Plane, IL-2 BoX, DCS, and pretty much anything WMR that uses SteamVR.

The charts and recordings are are from CapFrameX - Driver Comparison 457.30 vs 466.11 for DCS 2.7 & MSFS VR.

For a live view I just enable the Performance Graph in the SteamVR desktop app. You can right click on it and get the options. The colors and framerate timing give a good indication on how things are going (green good, yellow on the limit and reprojecting, red pauses etc.). In the developer settings of the same app you can enable the chart in VR as well if you donā€™t want to nose peek.

1 Like

I noticed that, and itā€™s a bit ironic considering they are from the same guy. Iā€™ll poke around to see if itā€™s possible to run a shader on top of this.

1 Like

If you find an answer, I would love to know. ReShade VR just makes DCS look so much better, with zero performance hit that I can see.

1 Like

Thanks!

1 Like

Ok, sorry about the wait :slight_smile: but it looks like you can rename the dxgi.dll from ReshadeVR-sharpen_color release to d3d11.dll and it still might work as a hook. Warnings from the author here:

Iā€™m not at a PC (on phone at the slowest restaurant in the universe right now, if I donā€™t post again itā€™s because Iā€™ve died of hunger) but will try later.

2 Likes

:joy:

Trying it now, will report back!

ETA: It works! Awesome, thanks for finding that! Now to turn off sharpening on OpenVR FSR, and see how that looksā€¦

I canā€™t see that Fixed Foveated Rendering is even working for me, it doesnā€™t seem to change anything.

2 Likes

Cool. Iā€™d be tempted to just use Reshade for color / hdr effects alone and this one for any sharpening and scaling. You want to make sure both arenā€™t sharpening :hocho:

Maybe this one will work as well?

I have a really bad Caesar Salad now, so still feeling a bit hangry. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ahhhh. Guess I missed the X vs V thing. Thanks.

1 Like

Good point! The first time I tried both, it kinda looked bad, since both were sharpening. I turned off the sharpening component of ReShade and like what Iā€™m seeing. Tried it the other way and was getting frame times around 16ms, with FSR and sharpening on OpenVrPerf Kit, Iā€™m getting more like 12, so I think Iā€™ll keep it off on ReShade.

1 Like

Okay so, I know itā€™s working (can see the ā€˜ringā€™ about the center; little loss in sharpness; none of it significant). Perhaps I just had my ā€˜thingā€™ tuned pretty well (mentioned elsewhere, mostly clean OS and driver).

There is maybe a little bit there, perhaps 2% if I had to nail it down. Iā€™ll leave it on for while.

NIS at 80%
The OpenVR settings at .7 (or was it .8? - took the settings from one mentioned above).
PD 1.0, SteamVR | All = 80%, SteamVR | DCS = 100%. Clarity was very much the same, perceived.

My ā€œbenchmarkā€ flight is:
3080Ti, AMD 5900X, 64mb RAM, M.2 drive
Syria, sunrise, over Aleppo at 16,500. Plenty of buildings and such below.
Hornet
My usual settings
Then I do a ā€œStuka Maneuverā€, leveling out to put on on an airshow amid the satellite antennas on the roof tops, etc.

Only time I could get it into the low 40ā€™s was when I touched some [setting] buttons Iā€™ve never dared to (with my old box: 1080). I even tried: Shadows High, And default (terrain shadows); Ultra clouds with Overcast 5 preset.

Of course this isnā€™t with many other objects in mission (planes, trains, automobiles - and tanks, APCā€™s, etc).

Even so it was basically smooth - I love being able to look to my 3/9 Oā€™clock and NOT see any ā€˜ghostingā€™ (I think itā€™s called - were at those angles it kind of ā€˜stuttersā€™). And do hard rolls that are smooth over a populated areas. Easier to spot stuff out the side too when itā€™s not ā€˜skippingā€™ like that.

Canā€™t wait til they optimize DCS. Maybe the addition of a lot of objects (things to do ā€œcombatā€ against) wonā€™t be such a drag. Though Iā€™ve not really tired a ā€˜heavyā€™ object count mission yet.

2 Likes

I launch with these changes from default config, albeit changeable with hotkeys, to get a sharper HUD. Performance hit is minor and mostly imperceptible to me. I use the VR preset with MSAA 2x.

method: nis
renderScale: 0.8
sharpness: 0.9

Use shift as the hotkey modifier, except for the second F1, which I keep alt.

1 Like

Iā€™d forgotten about that one with the new box. It worked on the old one as a starting point, but was, on that GPU/CPU, not so pleasing visually. Iā€™ll check it out.

One extra note if useful: If you run with SteamVR (and WMR with those headsets) Motion Reprojection on you wonā€™t see a lot of framerate change, just because it will either stay at 45 FPS or 90 FPS, but not varying in-between. What you will get is that it stays in reprojection a lot easier with more things happening, because at 0.8 youā€™re effectively telling DCS to draw a 20% smaller output and then this thing is upscaling it.

When I did the benchmark graphs above to see the improvement this gives (roughly 20%) then I have to turn off any reprojection.

Yeah, I think that your new rig is a little faster than mine Jeff, so you might be able to push the settings a bit more.

Good one. I thought that I had it disabled, but I am seeing a lot of 90 on the top end and 45 on the bottom (Syria).

1 Like

Check. I turned off repro for the tests. I never ran with it on on the old 1080 - it just ā€˜feltā€™ better overall without it. On this new box, for now, it just seems ā€˜betterā€™ likely as you say cuz it stays in repro more easily.

1 Like

Yeah, getting a solid 90 on Syria reliably is beyond where we are with the DCS engine today, regardless of any hardware I think. My goal on that map (a beautiful one for sure) is just to try stay above 45 as much as possible.

1 Like

Same. Man, itā€™s so tempting to start sliiiiiidddingg things to the right. Iā€™m resisting this, mostly. I love the smoothy-ness. And I guess clarity-wise Iā€™m keeping it at whatā€™s acceptable to me. Iā€™m half blind up close (far-sighted) thoughā€¦so that helps!?

Naturally what I REALLY want is about 60-degrees more FOV. Iā€™m never happy :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You could bump up the SteamVR resolution a tad? If youā€™re overall at 80% and then DCS at 100% of that then I would be tempted to try 100% overall. The DCS value doesnā€™t override it, it multiplies it (e.g. 100% in DCS of the 80%).

I have the G2 and the 3080 Ti on 100% SteamVR / DCS PD 1.0 / 100% and it is super sharp (although as I often point out, sharp because I like to see small MFDs / instruments and thereā€™s shimmer and outside ā€˜over-clarityā€™ - some would call it ugly!). I donā€™t run MSAA, as in VR I think pushing the resolution up higher is a better deal than DCSā€™s MSAA implementation cost in high resolutions. DCS desperately needs a CAS shader (which we are kind of doing ourselves here), plus a fast version of TAA - the MSAA we have in VR doesnā€™t scale at all.

2 Likes

Going to test it with that mission generator app (name escapes me at the moment) tomorrow, set on high. That thing killed my old box, even on low, and Iā€™m pretty sure it had little to do with the GPU. Iā€™m curious.