OpenVR fholger VR Perf Kit (FSR)

Ooooh! Something new to try. And it appears I may have been granted my wish, sorta since now we can adjust the upscaling radii, not just the sharpening.

Just gave it a quick go in DCS VR with just the defaults left alone (FSR, .77, foveated off) and it works very nicely indeed. Could read everything in my beloved Viggen pit, plus was below 11ms/90Hz in the Caucaucaucausus (sp) on the ground.

Iā€™ll try some other stuff later, but it looks just as good or better than what we had before.

Note: Donā€™t forget to put back your original openvr_api.dll, as this kit uses a different dll to inject (dxgi.dll)

3 Likes

I fiddled around a bit, and still like NIS at 0.8 and sharpening at 0.9 (too high for most tastes, but I need every cathode ray I can get from the Viggen radar mush). The Fixed Foveated Variable Rate Shading (whew) didnā€™t seem to do much, at least in terms of performance.

I ran a quick On / Off framerate comparison using my regular hands-off Hornet Free Flight over Cauc. First graph is it using the above settings and then not using it:

The thing thatā€™s more dramatic in VR is that when using it I get the 9ms frame timings which allows the headset to use 90Hz, while when I donā€™t Iā€™m about 12 - 13ms and itā€™ll repeat frames. The 11.1ms timing is crucial for 90Hz VR, so while 9 vs 12 ms doesnā€™t seem like a lot, it translate into halving performance in VR (because of that native refresh rate).

On

Off

1 Like

Oh wise and fearless one, what do you gather the abbreviation for the shift key modifier would be? Prefer that over ctrl.

1 Like

You tried shift? :slight_smile:

More helpfully, they look like they are here:

Err no. Of course I wouldnā€™t have thought to look at the source code either. Remember who youā€™re dealing with.

1 Like

I keep starting it up and shutting it down to change settings, despite staring at the keys that would allow me to change it on the fly, so if thereā€™s jackets in this club then I want one. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Okay, first off: I am computer stupid. Making DCS and all of its accessories work is right at the edge of my meager mental capability.

That admission out of the way:
How do I install the new version? I read the instructions which say to extract the .dll file and the .yml configuration file. When I download the .zip archive, I do not see any .dll file. Is there a different download link I should click on?

Edit: Nevermind, I finally found the link, under releases, off to the right of the page. Iā€™d looked at that page several times without seeing that; I was downloading the entire source code, not the release itself. Leaving this as a lasting memorial to my computer stupidity.

Also: Has anyone in the history of mankind ever actually purchased winrar?

3 Likes

This is primarily for FS2020, right? The performance gains? Either Iā€™ve already stretched my lil performance pony as far as I can, or I did something wrong - I just didnā€™t see much, if any gain in DCS.

It could just be my eyes however: Iā€™m very far-sighted; the ā€œ;ā€ and ā€œ:ā€ symbols on my keyboard are indistinguishable for instance, but I can ID a Mirage F-1 at 8 miles (real world, had one pass overhead today).The MFDā€™s are always going to be a tad blurry for me; Iā€™m just used to it.

Anywayā€¦

Several years ago. But Iā€™ve used 7Zip for that last, oh decade. Seems fine on both Win10 and 11.

1 Like

Unfortunately this no longer plays in harmony with ReShadeVR, since both apps (?) use their own version of dxgi.dll. Itā€™s too bad because I really like what ReShade does to DCS in VR. Iā€™ll have to play with it to see if thereā€™s any performance gain over the old version, but so far itā€™s too close to tell.

3 Likes

We are discussing it in the context of DCS, but it should work for any app which uses OpenVR. < look at me pretending to know what Iā€™m talking about.

Since most of us are using OpenXR with MSFS, I donā€™t think that it works with that. < again, purple dinosaur talking here.

You should get a noticeable boost in fps. If not, it makes me feel like itā€™s not enabled or not installed in the \bin folder.

4 Likes

Thanks, Iā€™ll have another go at it.

1 Like

What app are you using to look at performance?

The way to remember it is OpenVR is the new name for SteamVR, where Valve tried to make their stuff the standard and released the API spec with no patents/royalties. No-one bit (or rather Facebook/Oculus ignored it, as having designs on PC VR at the time), so it took OpenXR to be the new open standard. Pretty much the only thing to use OpenXR is MSFS. So this thing for OpenVR will work with X-Plane, IL-2 BoX, DCS, and pretty much anything WMR that uses SteamVR.

The charts and recordings are are from CapFrameX - Driver Comparison 457.30 vs 466.11 for DCS 2.7 & MSFS VR.

For a live view I just enable the Performance Graph in the SteamVR desktop app. You can right click on it and get the options. The colors and framerate timing give a good indication on how things are going (green good, yellow on the limit and reprojecting, red pauses etc.). In the developer settings of the same app you can enable the chart in VR as well if you donā€™t want to nose peek.

1 Like

I noticed that, and itā€™s a bit ironic considering they are from the same guy. Iā€™ll poke around to see if itā€™s possible to run a shader on top of this.

1 Like

If you find an answer, I would love to know. ReShade VR just makes DCS look so much better, with zero performance hit that I can see.

1 Like

Thanks!

1 Like

Ok, sorry about the wait :slight_smile: but it looks like you can rename the dxgi.dll from ReshadeVR-sharpen_color release to d3d11.dll and it still might work as a hook. Warnings from the author here:

Iā€™m not at a PC (on phone at the slowest restaurant in the universe right now, if I donā€™t post again itā€™s because Iā€™ve died of hunger) but will try later.

2 Likes

:joy:

Trying it now, will report back!

ETA: It works! Awesome, thanks for finding that! Now to turn off sharpening on OpenVR FSR, and see how that looksā€¦

I canā€™t see that Fixed Foveated Rendering is even working for me, it doesnā€™t seem to change anything.

2 Likes

Cool. Iā€™d be tempted to just use Reshade for color / hdr effects alone and this one for any sharpening and scaling. You want to make sure both arenā€™t sharpening :hocho:

Maybe this one will work as well?

I have a really bad Caesar Salad now, so still feeling a bit hangry. :slight_smile:

1 Like