OpenVR fholger VR Perf Kit (FSR)

It’s the debug mask coming on. For some reason, if I have “Shift”, “F1” as the hotkey for the debug mode, any time I hit shift it comes up. So I’ve made it Shift, Ctrl, Alt and don’t have that problem anymore. You can also disable hotkeys, or individual hotkey elements by taking out the part between the quotes, if it’s something you don’t use.

I just tried this with DCS and wow! It gives a very smooth flying experience. The only thing I would like to improve is the appearance of latticed structures such as electricity pylons and cranes. I’m using reprojection so that could be the problem.

2 Likes

It’s not the reprojection, you’re right that the upscaling algorithms handle these poorly. I guess that at low res, there is not enough information to extrapolate the various fine lines.

3 Likes

Well, I guess I will learn to live with it…the overall increase in fluidity is well worth it I think.

2 Likes

Agree with @Freak. I used it to fly the whole Paradise Lost campaign, which was on the Marianas map. But if I’m not trying to squeeze every last frame, I prefer not to use it. There is a “digitized” or synthetic look about it, albeit in some situations can add 10 fps.

1 Like

In a bit of a rush, so can’t really write this up properly, but if any of you have success with the fholger vrperfkit and openvr, then do check out using DCS using OpenXR instead. While the ideal would be ED using OpenXR directly, this is a decent workaround.

This also means you can then use the OpenXR Toolkit (upscaling, sharpening, fixed foveated rendering, color/brightness/saturation etc) with this OpenXR display using DCS. That makes a huge difference, and OpenCompositeACC/openxr toolkit actually performs better with DCS than OpenVR/vrperfkit. The ability to use WMR reprojection at 22.5 or 33 in DCS works very well - and is worth pursuing this just for that ability alone (OpenVR / WMR for SteamVR only allows 90/45 reprojection boundaries). Also, the OpenXR toolkit’s ability to ‘pin’ a reprojection level to 33 or 45 means you get a much smoother and predictable framerate (while getting 90Hz in the headset still). It really is quite magic once all set up.

The info in this forum link isn’t 100% correct as things have changed quite rapidly, but it gives the basics, so checkout the topic till the end (0.5 is the latest I think). Anyway, I’m going back on the road again, and this route is a big rough edged still, but if you’re interested in OpenXR and nicer clarify and better framerates in VR is worth it:

This probably deserves its own post and some pictures, but a quick way to visualize this witchcraft is like this:

How it started:

DCS Game Engine → Steam/OpenVR API → VRperfkit → WMR for SteamVR → OS API

How it’s going:

DCS Game Engine → Steam/OpenVR API → OpenCompositeACC → OpenXR API → OpenXR Toolkit → OpenXR Runtime → OS API

7 Likes

Uhm… What?
Did not know that was possible.
Must read.

I’ll definitely give that a go… thanks Fearless!

Ditto.

I have given it a go couple days ago at 0.4. It was right fiddly to get going. I reverted, but keeping a close eye.

Just finished reading the thread on DCS forum.

I am not into DCS for the moment (the Russian invasion and all the madness is happening a little too close to my original home country to be able to play a modern air combat sim) but I look at such tech positively.

Do you think it is exclusively a DCS thingy or it could potentially work also with other titles too?

Me three. Thanks fearless!

Sometimes I sit here wondering how many hoops you VR enthusiasts are willing to jump through to get acceptable VR performance! :slight_smile:

Interest Reaction GIF

2 Likes

I don’t mind. I’m pretty much all VR all of the time. If there is a tweak to make it a wee bit more enjoyable, I’ll give it a try. Without sounding like I’m wearing VR on my sleeve, I ain’t going back, especially flying rotor craft.

2 Likes

Today’s 55” (and up) 4K panels just offer so much more no brainer beauty though!

So this will sound pretty odd, but it works.

OpenComposite-ACC has an initialization bug in it that you need to do the following for a reliable start-up:

1. Start up a clean WMR Portal. Note: don’t put on the headset yet, make it face a blank wall or cover the front of it (so the front cameras are covered). :person_with_white_cane:

2. Start DCS from a desktop icon.

3. Once DCS has started then put on the headset and hit your DCS VR Recenter.

Vehemently agree. It ain’t Swiss software that’s for sure, but we each have to do what we’re comfortable doing.

There’s a bunch of Steam/OpenVR titles it works with, listed on the front page of here - Files · master · Jabbah / OpenCompositeACC · GitLab. It’s all a bit of hack and in active development, so worth trying anything.

We think the same about all those gravy seal first person shooters but we’re too polite to comment on those topics I guess. :wink:

3 Likes

Keep digging those rabbit holes for us @fearlessfrog.

3 Likes

I’m hip. There are 2D people and 3D people. We can coexist…or do we, as humans…never mind.

The US Army has gone in deep with training in VR (ANG and others too). It’s the depth perception that’s important, but never seems to be emphasized enough.

Having 2 PC’s now the old one gets the BIG 50" monitor - just can’t do any real work in 3D. I’m using an old 24", 1080p, for the “fun machine” in VR - all it has to do is get me started. The KVM switch thing just didn’t work well enough.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve tried it twice now, once on the old box and once on the new one. Just didn’t see much improvement in the smooth-ment. Perhaps because I’ve cleaned up my system, and strive to keep up with that, periodically, that I never saw any gains (other than visually - made MFD’s harder to read if I recall).

I just don’t think, for DCS, we’ll see any significant gains until ED gets the multi-core thing going. And in addition removing the need for steamVR?

1 Like

hopefully the shift from DX11 to Vulkan’s API Enables more things for VR.

1 Like