OpenVR fholger VR Perf Kit (FSR)

Checking back on this. Seems to make a positive difference.

I’d tried this on my old box a year+ ago and forgot about it. Back then it left me with the impression that the “VR Preset” does stuff under the hood other than what you can change with the buttons & knobs (Option | System). What I’ve no clue. But just thought to try it again and there seems to be something there.

Note that I didn’t leave the settings alone either; I clicked VR Preset then changed others to where I normally have them (shadows, Anisotropic - tis done via nVidia CP; etc). So, all my settings same BUT I started with VR Preset, then spiced to taste.

I still feel something else happens with that preset. And it has to be more than just a recompile of the shaders as I go through this process somewhat frequently; some settings will force this - triggering a restart.

My benchmark flight over Aleppo saw the low go from 47 to 50 to a solid 60, via this method, as I did High-G turns around that cultural feature in the center of town (90FPS at about 10,000’ looking straight down over the town).

Who knows. Confounded, infernal machines tis they be (sorry, been binging Poldak with the wife :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

Not a fan of the DCS VR preset. It seems set up for a time where GPU VRAM was the problem in DCS with VR, so does things like turn down Terrain Textures to Low and Textures to Medium - with the former having a big impact on how outside the cockpits looks but without any performance difference (if you have the VRAM, which we do nowadays). So it makes it look ugly but without any performance improvement.

The main performance improvement from it is setting Visible Range down to Medium, which causes things to appear in an obvious bubble around you. It also turns off MSAA and grass/clutter, which is why it might feel better. Water to medium does help, but then you don’t get a wake on the Carrier, which isn’t great for Case 1’s.

3 Likes

Understood. But I reset those to my normal settings after clicking VR Preset. I know, makes no sense.

yeah, it was those debug hotkeys - once disabled the problem was solved - thanks

1 Like

Yeah, I basically use the VR preset as a baseline when testing settings, since it is a widely known config. But lately, we’ve been trying so many different enhancements, that I haven’t tried much tweaking. I’m sure that it can be improved upon.

@WarPig - someone hacked a version together just for DCS. Not at a computer for a bit so can’t try it, but might be worth a go…

2 Likes

That is exciting! I would love to give it a whirl, but I went back out on a trip yesterday, and won’t see my computer for 8 more days, unfortunately. Or wife/kids, for that matter. :rofl:

I will definitely try it out sometime after I get home, but hopefully someone reports on it before then.

With this new VR Perf kit the readme says:

Extract dxgi.dll and vrperfkit.yml next to the game’s main executable

Does this mean in the /bin folder as previous versions?
The zip file contains one dxgi.dll in the man directory and one in a x86 folder… Which one should I use?

1 Like

Yes the game’s main executable (for example DCS.exe) is usually in the /bin folder, which is why we put it there already.
x86 means 32-bit, so I guess if you wanted to use this for a 32-bit game you would use that one. But I’m struggling to come up with any VR flight sim that is not 64-bit, so just use the main one

3 Likes

Ah! Of course! The readme didn’t mention the x86 folder, but of course, you must be right!

1 Like

This works nicely with the new reshade I must say.

I have that issue with AMD’s Overlay.

It’s the debug mask coming on. For some reason, if I have “Shift”, “F1” as the hotkey for the debug mode, any time I hit shift it comes up. So I’ve made it Shift, Ctrl, Alt and don’t have that problem anymore. You can also disable hotkeys, or individual hotkey elements by taking out the part between the quotes, if it’s something you don’t use.

I just tried this with DCS and wow! It gives a very smooth flying experience. The only thing I would like to improve is the appearance of latticed structures such as electricity pylons and cranes. I’m using reprojection so that could be the problem.

2 Likes

It’s not the reprojection, you’re right that the upscaling algorithms handle these poorly. I guess that at low res, there is not enough information to extrapolate the various fine lines.

3 Likes

Well, I guess I will learn to live with it…the overall increase in fluidity is well worth it I think.

2 Likes

Agree with @Freak. I used it to fly the whole Paradise Lost campaign, which was on the Marianas map. But if I’m not trying to squeeze every last frame, I prefer not to use it. There is a “digitized” or synthetic look about it, albeit in some situations can add 10 fps.

1 Like

In a bit of a rush, so can’t really write this up properly, but if any of you have success with the fholger vrperfkit and openvr, then do check out using DCS using OpenXR instead. While the ideal would be ED using OpenXR directly, this is a decent workaround.

This also means you can then use the OpenXR Toolkit (upscaling, sharpening, fixed foveated rendering, color/brightness/saturation etc) with this OpenXR display using DCS. That makes a huge difference, and OpenCompositeACC/openxr toolkit actually performs better with DCS than OpenVR/vrperfkit. The ability to use WMR reprojection at 22.5 or 33 in DCS works very well - and is worth pursuing this just for that ability alone (OpenVR / WMR for SteamVR only allows 90/45 reprojection boundaries). Also, the OpenXR toolkit’s ability to ‘pin’ a reprojection level to 33 or 45 means you get a much smoother and predictable framerate (while getting 90Hz in the headset still). It really is quite magic once all set up.

The info in this forum link isn’t 100% correct as things have changed quite rapidly, but it gives the basics, so checkout the topic till the end (0.5 is the latest I think). Anyway, I’m going back on the road again, and this route is a big rough edged still, but if you’re interested in OpenXR and nicer clarify and better framerates in VR is worth it:

This probably deserves its own post and some pictures, but a quick way to visualize this witchcraft is like this:

How it started:

DCS Game Engine → Steam/OpenVR API → VRperfkit → WMR for SteamVR → OS API

How it’s going:

DCS Game Engine → Steam/OpenVR API → OpenCompositeACC → OpenXR API → OpenXR Toolkit → OpenXR Runtime → OS API

7 Likes

Uhm… What?
Did not know that was possible.
Must read.

I’ll definitely give that a go… thanks Fearless!