Our Samsung Odyssey (+) first impressions, tips, and tricks...

Well I didn’t want to get into it too much but the problem is that the O+ controllers have one less button because Steam takes over the hat button and uses for its own purposes. It is probably true that by using the above app I could trick X-Plane into thinking that the O+ controller is a Vive. But frankly I am not impressed enough with the O+ to make the effort. So it’s all good. I am happy to have the $299 back. Many thanks as always for the help.

1 Like

I’m sure we will find another place for you to put that $299… :smile:

1 Like

Nice review of one of the first WidmoVR lenses I’ve seen posted in the wild:

2 Likes

I should have mine this week. I hope I like it…

I hope you like it too. One thing is for sure, there will be things about it that you like, and things that you don’t (especially if you are coming from the Rift and maybe the Vive).

I would certainly recommended sticking with it beyond the first impressions stage. My experience has improved somewhat as I have become more accustomed to the headset.

I’m still jumping back and forth between Rift and O+.

Additional thoughts:

• If you wear eye glasses (I don’t) then be super careful with scratches, as a lot less ‘eye room’ than the Rift. Something like this is pretty much essential and might as well be priced in
    WidmoVR

• The sweetspot of clarity is a bit less in size than the Rift I think, although like I said before, it is exacerbated by getting a good fit, in that if it wobbles on your head then you’ll lose clarity.

• The screen is so much better. Colors, brights, contrasts, screen door. If everything else was as good as the screen this would be a slam dunk. I do wonder if rift people are returning it without getting SteamVR resolutions and super sampling set up right first, as none of that stuff is intuitive and you could pretty much ignore it on Oculus stuff.

• I am getting better at driving the SteamVR settings and using WMR. It just takes a bit of time to adjust to the new normal. I like all that crap, but can see that not all will want to go through that.

• The physical IPD is limited to a minimum of 60 mm or so. If you have a small head, or want to put a Chucky Doll under there (@Tankerwade) then if your Opthalmist’s or self measured IPD is under 60 then you may have a bad time. Unlike fit with headbands, foam, chicken blood etc, there isn’t really much you can do with IPD. If it gives you headaches or blurry long distance steroscopic views then no modding will help.

For $299 a new VR purchasers I still think it’s a steal, especially when compare to what I paid for my Rift back in the day.

4 Likes

Is the HMD still on sale for that price? I thought it was only for the Black Friday weekend.

Yep, good point - I don’t know, I guess it probably has gone up again now. There seems to be quite a few people still waiting on backorder.

$500 smackers at Samsung.com.

Question, is there a way to activate the flashlight mode without using the hand controllers?

Good info. I took a break on evaluating mine while I wrap up another project…but I’ll be diving back into it tomorrow I think.

You can say ‘flashlight on’ to Cortana and she’ll switch them on/off I believe.

The WMR mouse and speech support is pretty good:

1 Like

At last, a good use for Cortana :grin: “Cortana, warp factor 10!”

2 Likes

Hi again, please share your latest tipis for settings in steam vr etc… :smile:

1 Like

A bit of a wide question :slight_smile: but here’s some links of stuff I think helps:

Some explanation of terms in here:

Found this really useful to ‘tune’ games to be either CPU or GPU limited (as in, if I have GPU headroom then you can add super sampling sometimes):

One thing that I often get wrong is the placebo effect of thinking that SteamVR motion reprojection actually works on WMR and the Samsung - it doesn’t, it’s ignored, and I just think I just prefer running at 45 fps with no reprojection a lot of the time.

For WMR to renable something equivilent to ASW you have to alter a config file in the WMR for SteamVR beta, as in here:

It seems some people really like setting:

"motionReprojectionMode" : "motionvector",
  "motionReprojectionTemporalEnabled" : true,

…which locks frames at 45 fps but gives an overall smoother reprojection if you aren’t hitting 90 (or can’t stand seeing it below 90). I still need to fiddle around with this, as first go in something like DCS caused lots of artifacts, but then I also read you need to be getting about 60 fps reliably for it to work best. There’s a lot more info on the state of these features here - Steam Community :: Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR

1 Like

It’s not for everyone. I was actually relieved to return to the Rift. The screen door didn’t bother me upon going back to it. For me, the Rift’s clarity and wide focus zone more than compensated for its noticeable SDE and lower pixel density. I look over my shoulder a lot. The O+ had this big blurry area in the periphery that I was unable to overcome or ignore. I could have dialed it in a bit more with time but I am certain that I would never have been completely happy. I see the two as parallel products and not as one from a previous generation being improved by a later product.

I just had my first go at it. Got it in the mail last night. I think its not perfect but I liked it over the Rift. I need to dial it in as I just got it. I think in time I will come to like it more and possibly replace the Rift. I am going to use it exclusively for a bit. I had about an hour with it today. IMO it was worth the investment.
@smokinhole, Im sorry that it did not work out for you buddy, but that is your opinion and I can respect that. I even agree that its not perfect but I will continue to explore it for now.

Oh no It’s all good. I should have kept my mouth shut. Ever since the announcement awhile back of the Oculus founder leaving FaceBook in frustration, there has been a obvious movement to the O+. The pressure is there for current users to migrate over since the Samsung is superior. I just wanted to be a countervailing voice to current Rift users that switching may not be worth the expense. The old girl still has her charms so to speak. SDE has turned more than a few people away from VR. If the O+ can bring those people into the Matrix, I am a fan even if I am not a user.

I’m glad you spoke out :slightly_smiling_face:. For someone looking to get into VR early next year, this conversation is very valuable!

+1

It’s not a cult @smokinhole - you don’t have to like it. :slight_smile: Whether something works for you or not is what a forum is for, and it’s meant to be subjective and opinion based.

These are corporations who want us to buy stuff, not teams we support.

If people like the Samsung for the resolution then I don’t think it is about anti-Facebook or anything. I mean, I guess perhaps for some but I personally don’t care.

We also have to remember that a good chunk of flight simmers have rejected VR as it is right now. While a (really vocal) minority use VR, I still think it is a minority. Others may see VR as a complete waste of money and something interesting but still at least 3+ years away. For some, a big TV and trackIR is far far superior, as is a physical pit. It is not up to us to ‘prove them wrong’ or convert people over. The way I see it, people like different things and all we can do is say what works for us. A lot of these threads aren’t meant as ‘Buy This!’ but more ‘I am enjoying myself and want to share that’.

No-one cares (or should care) just because someone likes something or not. They are toys. :vr:

We set up stuff like the vr tag and specific topics so if people don’t want to see stuff they can block it or at least opt-out and ignore. It’s more fun to share the fun of using something you enjoy rather than too much make the case against why that person is wrong to have that fun. Hopefully we get the balance right here on our forums.

5 Likes