Our Samsung Odyssey (+) first impressions, tips, and tricks...

So I set App Res on 100%, picked the VR preset, no MSAA, and 2.0 PD. The image quality is better IMO, in the menus and in game. FPS is high 40s to high 50s in the Nevada conventional bombing mission. I guess in games that don’t allow adjust the PD, I can selectively force 200%. Does that sound reasonable? GPU temps are in the high 70s to low 80s in VR. Watching YouTube TV they sit in the mid 30s, just to give you a reference point. Did I say that I have a tiny case without much cooling to speak of, other than the water cooler on the CPU?

Edit: CPU is an i7 8700 @ 4.8. I think that it is the bottleneck atm.

1 Like

I’m not sure to be honest. 100% and PD 2.0 seems pretty good in DCS…but I’m going to bump mine back up to 200% and give it a test.

Just did that (put SteamVR to 200% and PD to 2.0)…and really don’t see much difference to be honest.

1 Like

There’s a good chance they don’t combine, i.e. DCS might ignore the SteamVR multiplier and just use it’s own PD value alone? I’ll experiment tomorrow.

Had a quick play. Screen is very nice. Controllers I actually kind of like, in that I didn’t realize how much X-Plane benefited from being able to look down/below to operate cockpit controls and never lose tracking - my Rift sensors were up high diagonal so got body blocked when doing that.

I got DCS at about PD 1.6 with same settings as Rift and it looks much nicer. Not ‘I can read everything’ nicer (and I didn’t expect that) just brighter and clearer. When in the sweet spot it is very good. Very impressed by the WMR motion reprojection as well, works just as well as ASW for me.

Comfort wise it is pretty good, and my noggin must be normal (a first) so no problems there. The ‘headband’ can slip a little if not quite tight, so need to experiment. This evening my office was pretty dark, so no light leakage, or no worse than the Rift nose gap.

Cool!

2 Likes

If you want to experiment with framerates, set that motion reprojection indicator to true in the default.vrsettings file.
See the link in the Odyssey guide: Steam :: Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR :: Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR Beta Updated

1 Like

@BeachAV8R and @fearlessfrog
Viggen… Please!
Can you read the caution/warning lights panels?
I’m thinking about going to the US and the Smithsonian with my brother, in december. I may walk close enough to one of those stores, where stuff keep falling in your bags…

3 Likes

A little half OT from me:

Man this sounds so cool. The O+ might juuust be good enough to fulfill my minimum VR visual quality criteria.
But reading here I am less and less inclined to buy VR.

Reasoning: when I read @chipwich describe his CPU as the bottleneck and it is the very CPU that I intend to use in my next PC because I cannot afford a better one, and I know his graphics card is also way faster than the most expensive one I can afford (planned on a RTX2070, was going to get one probably in January or so) I get kinda depressed.
That’s because it means that the minimum VR goal for me (readable gauges in DCS planes without zooming or leaning in) looks like it isn’t reachable with the money I can spend on it.

:frowning:

Edit: yeah I know, whine post. I don’t know why I expected something magically better. I just…dunno… hoped this PC and VR generation would be the step forward I hoped for.

1 Like

In all honesty, in real life, pilots lean in on occasion to read small labels. We don’t sit in the cockpit rigidly where only our head can move.

I think you are missing out on the most amazing sim experience.

2 Likes

Aginor, I didn’t say that to dissuade anyone from experiencing VR. It was more a comment that no matter what graphics settings I try, it seems that there is very little change in frame rate. I.E. PD at 1.0 or PD at 2.0 results in pretty much the same frame rate. I’ve disabled G-Sync in order to see if that has an effect, but didn’t see any change.

VR was fine before I bought the RTX, it’s just more finer now.

1 Like

My main fear is this one:

I am used to being able to read really really tiny stuff. My monitor and DCS usually allow me to do that, the only exception being very few instruments in the MiG21 for example where I have to slightly lean in, my monitor has an OK resolution.

In real life I am also used to do that because I have very good (like in: amazing) eyesight.
I occasionally have to read tiny descriptions on small electronic stuff. I can do that with ease. I can read 0,5mm letters from half a meter away, stuff that other people not only need their glasses for, they use a magnifying glass.

So low resolution really bothers me.
I don’t want to simulate being @BeachAV8R not wearing his glasses. :smile:
So what I really mean: I don’t want to spend 3000 bucks and then notice that the blurry picture hurts my eyes and I can see pixels, since I am pretty sure that would ruin the whole experience for me. I know absolutely nobody who owns a VR headset other than a GearVR or a Rift DK2. Both of those are absolutely unacceptable for me resolution-wise.
So yeah, I want to do VR but I am very careful because of my limited budget.

1 Like

Been following this - thanks for all these updates.

BeachAV8R - what are your system specs.

I have i7, 32 GB, 1070 - and DCS plays great for me - wondering how well O+ would run.

Do you notice any difference in resources between your Rift and O+ - does it take more to power the O+ with these new features ?

I called my local Microsoft Store. They said the return policy is 30 days no questions asked. Validate that. So, my thinking process is “buy it, try it and decide”.

I know several people who returned VR because resolution was more important to them than immersion. I think that is my overall summary. I don’t own one yet, so I can just comment on what I’ve heard people say

2 Likes

That’s really the best option.
Nobody can tell you how you will feel about VR. It must be experienced.

2 Likes

Unfortunately there are as far as I know no Microsoft stores in my country.
I have to order the Odyssey from the US and pay 80 bucks tax and shipping.
Far from ideal but I’ll wait and see. Maybe I will find a way.

I talked to the guy in the Microsoft Store last night - they are good with any sort of return within 30 days.

My thinking is that I have a couple of weeks to see if the upgrade is worth the money (coming from a Rift) and while I love it now, it’ll be interesting if I love it in a week or two. It’s better, but is it $500 better? :slight_smile:

Will do, just got to get through the DCS update for today, reapply the VR mod (that’s pretty much vital for 30-40% more FPS in VR btw @chipwich and @BeachAV8R and so worth it) and then I’ll Viggen it!

2 Likes

Does the VR mod pass integrity check ?

1 Like

No, unfortunately. There are a couple of tweaks you can do to it that reduces how well it works but then still pass IC. I don’t usually play on MP with IC, so for me it is worth it.

The other thing I do (and will comment on the VR mod topic to remind me) is that I alter the HMD font blur on the F/A-18C, as at VR or high resolution it is sort of bugged - they put a fuzzing around the letters that hurts clarity.

1 Like

Lazy Troll would like a one click option for that… :wink:

BTW, just read on the ED forum that users are reporting FPS drops in VR, with the latest update.

1 Like

Been away from the house all day today…hope to do some additional testing tonight.

1 Like

Guess which guy left the plastic lens covers on. Oops.

3 Likes

how do you get it so when you lean forward cockpit position stays put as of now when I lean the whole cockpit moves and I have to use VR zoom to look close

1 Like