P-47 Thunderbolt

@Franze told me that the cowl flap temp issue is a known bug so hopefully that will get fixed.

We also found that oil conditions seem to be modeled but there are some quirks in regards to the channel.

In The Channel Single Player, the temperature is stuck at 0°C but we could takeoff soon after startup without issue. In multiplayer, our first go would have engine showing all nominal but producing no power to fly - 150mph at full power (manifold pressure and prop RPM gauges looking nominal) was a stretch. A reload and things were fine. Sometimes oil pressure would skyrocket off the gauge as well.

I worked around it by trying to apply some logic:

• Older motor oils were not as combustion resistant
  • Older motor oils were not as stable when thin
    Hence, thick oil was needed so as it warmed it would still be thick enough and not burn off too fast.

With that in mind, IF the oil pressure sensor is AFTER the oil pump outlet - cold, thick oil that doesn’t want to move could lead to high pressure.
So remembering that Oil Dilution served to add fuel to the oil to thin it (the fuel evaporates or burns off later) - one of my later tries I ran oil dilution first and saw my oil pressure drop - plus I had power once airborne! Although that doesn’t solve why the gauges showed OK on manifold and RPM - I’d figure they would suffer with the reduced output.

Still some quirks too - if you leave the primer handle unlatched after takeoff, the engine will surge as if you were pumping it. Re-latching it and it returns to silky-smooth immediately.

If you break your landing gear, a repair doesn’t fully fix it. The gear doors can glitch and it becomes de-synced in MP. I also had my gear jam after a repair and then belly landed. A subsequent repair fixed my port gear - the starboard one fixed but then popped back to the broken position as the plane was put back on the ground. I tried to repair again, and waited out the timer by ALT-Tabbing out to Chrome to check Mudspike. While doing so - I heard an engine start and prop break. I ALT-Tab to DCS and my aircraft has moved, my starboard gear is still collapsed and my prop is now broken (fixed on the prior repair already…). So it started itself.

Still, an amazing plane to fly. Love it so far!

2 Likes

Great info Wes. With regards to engine warming, these were my observations. After engine start, I sat there for 20 minutes with the RPM @ 900 waiting for oil temps to rise and pressure drop. I closed the oil cooler flaps and that only minor rise in temp. So, I decided to taxi to the active with oil temp and pressure out of operating levels. Fortunately, after a little nudge, the Jug will happily taxi along at 1000 RPM. Once I got to the runway, even though oil temps had risen, the pressure was still way too high. I just decided to launch that way, thinking it must be bugged. Had a good takeoff roll and rotation and after a few minutes airborne, the oil pressure gauge snapped to the correct indication. So, I assumed that it was a WIP. I should have been able to close the cowl flaps, but found that they had to be around 50% or greater to keep engine temps around 200.

Regardless, I’m sure this stuff will get ironed out and the rest is in pretty good shape.

FYI to new Jug pilots, my first attempt at startup failed, because I didn’t hold the switch in the engaged position long enough after ignition began. I attempted the start sequence over again, but neglected to pump the primer. I did this and on try #3 was successful. So, if you fail on your first attempt, be sure to pump the primer again.

The starter is very FW-190-esque, so if you have flown those it will be familiar - except our 190s get away without priming!

1 Like
7 Likes

Hope you’re OK Maico?

You can keep up with his progress in this thread @Phantom88.

Wheels

1 Like

Thank you @wheelsup_cavu.
That training film was awesome!!! Thanks @AndyE

1 Like

@Maico glad you enjoyed it! If you haven’t discovered them already here’s at least two more that compliment that one.

3 Likes

Nice vids. Made me notice some inconsistency in the IL2 P47, specifically with the turbo overspeed RPM mechanism.

2 Likes

Yeah, I think that one of Greg’s YT channel stated that there is no need to use the turbo below 8k ft, and to do so might even rob you of some power due to mechanical loss when compared to having it off. Still, the USAAC POH and others recommend its latch it to the throttle in short field or heavy loadout situations.

I love that plane!

7 Likes

I have just started the startup training for the Jug and what a lovely surprise its @bunyap2w1 doing the voice over. I miss his videos so great to hear his voice again :sunglasses:

2 Likes

And I found this
https://www.netflix.com/title/80119193?s=a&trkid=13747225&t=cp

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038171/

5 Likes

I’ve been messing with the Jug and like it so far, though I find it more difficult to land than any of the other warbirds. Probably that massive, heavy nose.

Harder than the Spitfire? :grimacing:

Alright, I put it off longer than I usually would. Channel map and Jug downloading now. :sunglasses:

6 Likes

It is a different beast, keeping it slow enough to land is the difficulty. I have managed 2 successfull landings out of 8 so far. Bet you’ll like it though :+1:

So far. For me it’s the flare. It seems like the 3-point angle of the Jug is shallower than most of the other warbirds. I keep flaring too early and plopping down on the runway.

I don’t know what you guys are talking about. I find the Jug to be one of the easiest to land of all the DCS Warbirds.

If I had to rank the fighters by how difficult they are to land I would put the Jug right along with the P-51D as the two easiest to land.

Hardest to easiest:
Spitfire
Bf109
FW190 variants
P-47D/P-51D

Overall I think that it is the most beginner friendly warbird we have in DCS. It certainly is the easiest to take off in.

I just did my first few flights… It’s a fun airplane to fly. It might be my control setup, but to me she seems a little light in the nose. I didn’t find landing in VR particularly difficult… I bounced on a couple of landings, but the airplane settles onto the runway quite nicely if you get it right. I haven’t seen any tendency to ground loop. I haven’t read the manual yet, but I suspect I am carrying more than the recommended speed as I come in over the fence, so I can fish for a smooth landing at the expense of using up extra runway. Not a problem at Manston though :wink: .

The Channel map looks nice. A step up from Normandy I think.

1 Like