Persian Gulf for DCS World (formally known as Straits of Hormuz)

dcs

I was a late adopter to PC’s and it was 2000 before I owned one. Prior to that it was megadrive and PS1.
I loved Acecombat

And for a jaunt around NTTR in a huey I listen to this

1 Like

It was a complement made badly.

0 Likes

@smokinhole, I thought it was a very well worded compliment, and I agree with your sentiment. :sunglasses:

Nice post @schurem, sometimes you can stumble across an unexpected moment that is pure poetry. It can be in a real world environment, and increasingly feasible in a computer generatied one too. It’s like climbing a mountain to suddenly get your first glimpse of the stunning view on the othe side, or breaking out on top of a cloud layer at sunset, or that first time you experience sitting in a DCS cockpit in VR. Flying the F5E instant action flight in the NTTR at sunset always makes my jaw drop every time when I fly it in VR…the lighting, the scenery, the cockpit… Adding classical music to that scene would be amazing.

1 Like

I too could see the compliment from far away. The highest form of flattery is to ask for more.

0 Likes

0 Likes

I mentioned the game just recently in the other thread: DOSBox Nostalgia Thread

Funny thing is that tomorrow it will be 25th anniversary of its release!

Still a great game.

Anyway, anyone knows if ED is planning DCS Jetman module for upcoming Persain Gulf map?

4 Likes

Dumb post

[this “dumb post” was a long time ago but I just re-read it and see that it looks like I am accusing the post above of being dumb. What I meant was the I deleted a dumb post but the forum software doesn’t allow a post to be empty.]

0 Likes

I think I started with Chuck Yeager’s Air Combat, F-117A Stealth Fighter 2.0, and the little-known Jetfighter; the entire game fit on a single 3.5" floppy.

While I was in college, I got into Flanker and the first Jane’s sims like ATF and Navy Fighters. I think my first “holy cow” experience with sims was Jane’s F-15.

2 Likes

Couple more Night Light shots because… why not. These show some civilian traffic buzzing around the Persian Gulf map. Enjoy!

8 Likes

Looks Great!

Is there any chance we could get a zone trigger that makes all those pretty lights turn off? (for when we, hypothetically, level a couple of power plants in our Hornets :smiley: )

2 Likes

I requested that back with Normandy, they had been trying to get it to work, but I havent heard much on it. Will revisit.

4 Likes

Now, that would just be showing off.

0 Likes

Looking great!
The newsletter mentions increased visibility for nightlighting as well.
Are these changes map specific, or will we see the changes in other maps as well?

0 Likes

The wording in the newsletter lead me to believe it is map-specific and will be rolled out to the other maps after Hormuz is released.

0 Likes

Yeah, me too. But I thought things like lighting were on the engine level…

0 Likes

They are, but the amount of light reflected (albedo) and how long a light remains visible apparently is object-bound and therefore contained in the map file. Which I think is fine engineering really because you can get more varied behaviors out of the objects. Think fog, tiny or big lights, etc.

3 Likes

Things like light coloring and intensity, etc are adjusted within the map themselves, so they can be tweaked for the region.

4 Likes

Someone tie @NineLine to a virtual chair and tickle him till he reveals some release dates :male_detective::hammer:

3 Likes

Clever. I like this. Lots.

1 Like

Ok, that sounds like clever thinking!

Been a while since I did a night mission, but I seem to remember that light didn’t travel very far, in darkness. But, for all I know, this may have been updated with 2.5. In any case, it certainly would be an important improvement, if corrected.

I also remember how day lighting was a bit too intense, as you could see your landing lights reflect off the surface, in broad daylight. But this got a lot better with deferred shading, so maybe night lights did as well. Must have a look :slight_smile:

0 Likes