Persian Gulf for DCS World (formally known as Straits of Hormuz)

Its not like there is a ton of them everywhere, there is enough dotted around the map, tankers, cargo ships, fishing boats etc, to give the map some life. Certainly will be better for missions and such to get them added as AI units.

Absolutely right. You would be doing mission builders a service by pushing for that option. :slight_smile:

If they are going to do it, there is no lack of nautical charts to give them the appropriate lanes and anchorages, and no lack of naval knowledge hanging out here to get them on the right track. The biggest challenge watching from the sidelines is knowing what info to push in their direction.

1 Like

Does the map already include some of the new ground units (for example the previously shown Rapier SAM?)

I would like to know this alsoā€¦that would be fantastic if possible.

The tankers are cool. They sink rather abruptly when hit at the moment (Iā€™m sure that will get adjusted)ā€¦and Iā€™d love to see them automatically revert to the ā€œlarge smoke and fireā€ plume or whatever it is called in the mission editor once they do sink to simulate a flaming mass of oil. They are HUGE!

3 Likes

Can you land a Chopper on them? Or can you place objects,like troops or static objects on them like cargo boxes? Thank You

Here is a question someone may know the answer too. If I get .5Mb/s download through the torrents for ED Updates and mapswith my crappy 3.5Mb/s internet conection. What download speed will I get from a 40Mb/s fibre line. I am wondering if its worth taking my PC to the new house to download the new map on wednesday

Looks like more than 10 X faster Cib, unless Iā€™m missing something?

1 Like

I think it depends on their servers once you reach a certain speed. I never got more than 20mbs down from the torrents and Iā€™m on a 450 line. I think youā€™re expected to get like 10 percent of your download speed.

1 Like

Something about megabits/second versus megabytes/second

As is usually the case, I was missing something then :wink: .

1 Like

Units are usually released to the core game, not sure on their timing with the map release.

More Maps

1 Like

It appears you can place objects on them (I put these barrels and the cargo box on it)ā€¦not sure if you can land a helo on emā€™ because I canā€™t get my helo modules into the Early Access buildā€¦

1 Like

Good site to place AAA and Manpads :slight_smile:

1 Like

When I see that, I think of this

4 Likes

Thank You for checking this out,Thatā€™s fantastic!!!

I just bought the map. Hope ED doesnā€™t make me regret it.

1 Like

How could you regret it? :slight_smile:

1 Like

EDIT: This sounds like a rant but it really isnā€™t. When reading this post please imagine my voice being a bit sad but expressing hope, not anger.

So when would I regret it? Mainly if it doesnā€™t work correctly.
Sure, I understand it is new and beta and all, but for me a properly working AI (especially ATC) and the rest of the simulation environment (weather, AI not having magical sights and all that stuff) are very important as well.

I love DCSW, but for me to really enjoy it, that area needed massive improvements when I made my first thread about it on the ED forums in 2010 or 2011 and still has most of the same issues right now. Except some friendly words by Wags about something being in development (and that was before 2.0 was released) there has been hardly any progress on that front for years (except collidable trees, those are great!).
It causes a lot of frustration on my side, up to the point where I stopped making missions, flying DCSW often, and even posting at the ED forums for various months now.
All the RL friends I talked into buying and trying DCSW planes and maps stopped flying it years ago because of that very same reason. Might be coincidence and most people donā€™t care, but I know I do and they do.

The style of communication ED seemed to prefer has also done quite some harm, although I admit it is slowly improving during the last few months, which is good.

I hope that the revenue caused by the new maps and planes, and the engine improvements over the years finally allow ED to implement a simulation environment that can keep up with the quality of the planes. I will be all over it. The planes are right there for me now, everything is fine with them and the Hornet is something that will make me very happy. It is just the environment. The ā€œWā€ in DCSW.

But yeah, you see I am still here and still a positive guy, although parts of me are screaming that I will be disappointed. People call me a kool-aid-drinker for that and I hope I can prove them wrong this time.
The Hornet and the Persian Gulf map are the highlights of the year and I keep having hopes for the future of DCSW.

Thanks for reading.

4 Likes