Pico 4 VR setup: any way to get 90 fps on pc?

My girlfriend has bought a Pico 4 in a quest (pun intended) to find a VR headset that will fit her small head more comfortably than my old Samsung Odyssey.
I was wondering if there are any Pico users that have some tips on how to get the smoothest experience.

So far we have:

1. Bought and installed Virtual Desktop Streamer
  2. Set up SteamVR on the pc
  3. Adjusted resolution in SteamVR to the recommended level, and to <80% of the recommended level in DCS. Default was about 3300x3300 per eye, recommended based on hardware 2700x2700, DCS setup to run 2400x2400.

What bugs me is that the maximum framerate in SteamVR is 72 fps, even if I enable the 90Hz feature in the Pico and restart SteamVR.
And in SteamVR (unlike OpenXR), you can only have half or full framerate apparently, not 2/3. So she’s stuck at 36 fps for DCS which is a little too low for helicopters.

I myself am still using my Reverb G2 with OpenXR in DCS, which means I can get 30, 45, 60 or 90 fps, depending on the performance of my pc.
Is there some way to have at least 45 fps in the Pico 4?

Oh and her pc specs are:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
RAM: 16GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4
GPU: Radeon RX6700 XT reference model
SSD: Samsung Evo 970 Plus 2TB NVMe PCI 3
with the OS and DCS, and a bunch of SATA SSDs for data.

If I understood correctly, @dachsdk and @Johnny have the Pico 4 VR headset so I am wondering what you are running?

I haven’t tinkered with the settings lately, but I think you can set the refresh rate in VirtualDesktop?
If I get the time, I’ll take a look at my settings later, when I get home.

1 Like

You can set it in the headset, but even then it doesn’t always happen.

Even though that was the first thing I did, I found that everything was still running at 36/72 until a couple of days ago when I finally noticed that DCS World was running at 90. I didn’t change anything in between - I guessed that it was previously not a 100% thing and one of the updates had sorted it - there was a large firmware update about a week ago.

I can’t check as most of my stuff is packed away for a few days - but I can look if necessary later in the week if dachs hasn’t sorted it.

1 Like

Thanks guys, I’ll take a look in Virtual Desktop settings, maybe do a “reset to defaults” on SteamVR or else perhaps some power cycles will get it to show up.

Happy to hear that 90fps in SteamVR is possible! That should mean 45 fps in DCS, which is good enough.

Okay - I just had a quick look - you can set it in VD, in fact for two settings, even though I don’t use video streaming I set it to 90Hz in that, too, just to be on the safe side.

1 Like

Thanks! Next question: How do you get to that menu?

I only have this one on the pc:

If I open the Virtual Desktop app in the Pico, I just get to look at the actual Virtual Desktop

EDIT: found it, just had to turn off the pc! Thanks a lot both of you!

1 Like

Just had a lovely Huey flight on her pc in the Pico, Marianas quick start, over the trees and then the town, fps counter dipped a little from 45 to 42-40 at times but it felt smooth.

Easily landed the chopper on a little building with just the old X-52 HOTAS, no pedals.

Medium-low settings but high textures, flat shadows and 8x AF.
Not bad for an RX 6700XT at 2400x2400 per eye!

The visual quality, field of view and comfort of the Pico are a lot better than my Reverb G2, tracking seems better as well with all those cameras all around.

Of course, my cameras are watched by Bill Gates, while the Pico is a surveillance device from the Chinese guys running Tiktok. I know which of those I prefer :wink:

So two years later, for a lot less money, she actually has a comparable setup.

Settings:

4 Likes