Pilot Question(s) from a new DCS User

Funny you say that @jross, I find myself smoking less lately because of DCS. I get into a topic on the aircraft and then I wont walk away until I have figured it out. I am looking into buying a cockpit with (possibly) using a VR. I’m only a week into my research but I think waiting on the next generation of VR headsets would be wise (plus gives me time to save up more money lol).

@Victork2, The English are also responsible for Rolls Royce.
They too make one of my favorite (albeit not most favorite) off-road vehicles the Land Rover Discovery 2.

The AV-8B for the VSTOL feature alone seems so compelling. God help me trying to land that thing. :laughing:

1 Like

You get used to it, but practise often or it will totally bite. It’s so funny trying to land on a moving ship.

We are going to get on really well! :rofl:

2 Likes

October 10th, sunday. How’s that sound? Perhaps we do a spot of fight club, then move to Hollo Pointe for some A/G work?

2 Likes

LOL! My pleasure brother.

On a side note, I made my first A-10C video just now and it should be already uploaded to YouTube. I did my best to capture a showcase with my limited ability to fly this aircraft. :stuck_out_tongue:

If anyone watches it, any feedback is the best.
Note: I will be making 1080p versions in the future…

4 Likes

Affirm

Diary updated bro :ok_hand:

3 Likes

Sweet vid hombre! Loved your choice of tune to accompany it. I can’t wait to see what you’ll do with an evening on fight club lol!

3 Likes

I’ll be there if it’s cool with everyone.

By then I should learn how to use the Maverick. I’ve been kind of only always using the CBU-105 AND GBU 38/54B’s because it seems to be the safest thing so far :joy:

It would be great to practice with the 30mm more, but there is just something about a JDAM that’s so special :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Ah thank you, seriously!

Lol I am looking forward to making more videos too. Do you recommend I train more on the F15C for fight club or will showing up in my A10 suffice?

Also, any recourses you can point me in the right direction for learning the F15C? I haven’t looked into this yet.

I wish my first 2 minutes in the F15C was played in VR though. It was intense and way faster than the A10. I should write an apology letter to Las Vegas…

One of our members @Sryan has a fantastic guide for the Eagle, let me see if I can find it. It helped me immensely when I bought FC3.

1 Like

If you have FC3, you’d do well to sort your bindings and things for those. The MiG-29 is tremendous fun! Not easy to land without wrecking it though…

The A-10C will do as well on a fight club. It’s fun to shoot a fool in a flanker with it. TBH anything with a gun and a pair of wings will do :wink:

We can accommodate whatever aircraft you have. The a10c is more than a match for the Korean era stuff in in my hanger and I don’t mind jumping in my own Hog if required. Be quite funny to use the CE2 or the 52 as an airborne target for him. I can do this as I fricking suck at BFM :rofl:

1 Like

@Victork2 Nice. Again, I appreciate it. I’m going to revert to this shortly. Soon I’ll take a break from the A10 for the day. My main reason for getting FC3 was to take small breaks from the A-10 as I have an easier / simpler learning curve on another (like an FC3 aircraft).

@schurem yeah absolutely with regards to keybindings. I am currently in the process of fixing the F15C keybindings but I believe I already covered everything. As I play, I figure out more on what I need changed or not.

Yeah I’m so bringing the A10 lol :joy:

2 Likes

Absolutely cool brother.
The time one puts in to learn to fully operate the aircraft (let me estimate a low number - like 100 hours), then group those like minded people together running an operation is a good exercise of time. I know it takes a lot of work just to ‘play a game’ but to compare chasing a woman; I always put in the extra effort than to pick one up from the street :joy:. You just walk away from a better experience IMHO.

1 Like

Don’t know about women, but I do know that DCS as a game is a very rewarding experience, one that has a depth of systems to be known and a ceiling for skills to be acquired that is deep as the ocean and high as the mountains.

I have been flying simulated aircraft for as long as they’re available. Does that mean I am an unstoppable force of pure aerial kung fu? Not at all. Even the AI can kick my posterior raw from time to time.

While I own a big library on steam, epic and gog, I hardly ever do anything but fly with this beast computer I built for it.VR combat flying is that much fun to me.

How good you are at what you want to do is very much a snapshot in time. Were I to put three hours a day into aerial refuelling practice, I’m quite sure by the weekend I’d find it doable, mayhaps even easy. But I can’t so I don’t. Same goes for doing things like proper pattern work, carrier traps, dropping bombs by the force only or BFM.

You will notice even a couple of hours of concentrated effort on BFM will (temporarily) increase your skill quite markedly. Sadly these skills are highly perishable. One month you find it quite easy to put your hornet on the deck, but after a busy month at work, it becomes nigh on impossible again.

At least re-acquiring skill is often easier and faster than learning it the first time. You remember what sort of sight pictures you’re looking for and the right moves come back quick enough. (this in encouragement to my brit mate who’s going to be an absolute target drone :wink: )

2 Likes

As you are in this military flight sims also watch these jewels:

• Il-2 Battle of … (Stalingrad, Moscow,…,…) - the most comprehensive ww2 combat flight sim with modern physics, visuals etc
  • Wings Over Flander Fields - the most comprehensive ww1 combat flight sim with millions of contents
  • Wings Over the Reich - Epic dynamic campaign in battle of Britain theme
  • Falcon 4 + BMS Mod - The best full true multirole modern combat flight sim (if you don’t mind to fly without VR).

Also if you don’t mind to play with some old school sims this list can be bigger :slight_smile:

DCS is a marvelous piece but it lacks many things that you have in the upper sims. DCS is great but also sometimes is a eternal beta and the mods manytimes spend years in half backed state. Also many times it taste as a patchworks, you have ww2 birds but not enough for a real ww2 simulation, have korea war fighters, but not enough, etc etc etc

2 Likes

My pleasure! Thanks for the kind words.

2 Likes

Hi stavka,

My book, Fighter Combat was delivered yesterday and I brought it into work today to start reading. I’m sure it will require a couple reviews just so I can grasp whatever it is I am to learn LOL!

I am attaching the image of the book just to see how to use the attach feature. Thanks again for the recommendation as this is my first book on aviation (or anything closely related to it).

3 Likes

Before starting DCS, I took a look at the older genre of aircraft (like the WWII era) and couldn’t see myself flying one in-game. Fast forward only a month later and now I think it will definitely be a good experience to hop in one and fly around, not so much for combat but more for touring the gorgeous landscape on DCS.

I am betting on the Christmas sale on Steam so I can buy into one of the high fi planes. I have narrowed it down between P-47D Thunderbolt or Fw 190 A-8. I have plenty of time to read into both of the planes before making my decision on purchasing one.

Thank you for recommending the other games as well, as I am sure they are good too!

2 Likes

It’s really cool to see this reply, as I have spent hours on your A10-C II manual. Although, I am afraid to ask how long it took for you to create the manual!

Mr. Chuck, hopefully I’m not making the mistake of taking on too much but as of two days ago I also began reading into your F-14 guide. I am planning on buying this jet soon once I am positive this is the jet I want to fly - I believe it is.

Hopefully we can fly someday.
Thank you,

HSA