Planets

Just seen on reddit:

The last time Jupiter and Saturn were so close together, Galileo Galilei was still alive.

I’ve been enjoying Jupiter, Saturn and Mars a lot in the past few weeks. I always see them while driving home from work. Unless there are clouds of course.

4 Likes

They will be closest on the 21st of December. You should be able to see them both in one telescope eye piece/binocular - including the 4 largest Jovian moons. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Pictures please @PaulRix and @Derbysieger! Looking forward to seeing them all :grinning:

3 Likes

Same here. When I was commuting home from work on Thursday,the Moon, Jupiter and Saturn were very close together. I’ll see if I manage to get some photos but I think @PaulRix equipment is much better suited for the job.

3 Likes

It was an amazing event, and the very fact that the previous such convergence was so long ago that Galilei was alive makes me feel amazement. I can’t even imagine what the world will be like when Jupiter and Saturn will be so close again, and you?

1 Like

Welcome to Mudspike!

I don’t think anybody can. Considering how comically bad predictions even for the near future (50 years) have always been, it seems it is impossible.
But we can dream and hope. I sure hope it will be a better world, but given our history… I would rather guess there will be both great and terrible things.

1 Like