Playin' in DCS

For those of you who HAVEN’T noticed (harumph!) I’ve been AWOL for about a month now, for lots of various and (mostly) avoidable reasons, so I decided to pop back in DCS this holiday weekend and knock the dust of my HOTAS.

With the recent full release of the Bf109 I needed to start here. It only took me one rollout to remember this beast is as deadly on the ground as it is in the air. Luckily there are plenty of fourm posts and youtube tutorials to point me the right direction, but lots and lots of practice was the key, for me. That, and installing CH Manager to help with noisy/aging CH Pro Pedals (My T.Rudder Mk IIIs are great pedals, but the DCS 109 absolutey requires individual axis wheelbrakes).

Next I hopped into @near_blind’s server. Sadly, there were no Kurfuersts with which to show off my recently honed skills, so I hopped into a Sabre, instead. It turns out that transitioning to the F-86F after spending hours in the Bf109 is an awful, awful experience. It took me a good 5 minutes just to figure out how to taxi again.

Say what you want about the Korean era fighter planes - they are dang sexy, even in ugly green drab.

@near_blind showing off his loaded Tiger, pining quietly for canisters of napalm, and not so quietly for accurate delivery tables for cluster bombs.

Derby comes to a well-controlled stop at Batumi. Not a single passenger complained!

5 Likes

Stupid Sexy Korea Jet

That lovely feeling when you realize you’re down an engine. That additional feeling when you realize that the NWS is probably running off the Hydraulics from said engine.

4 Likes

Beautiful screens. Been thinking myself of getting back into flight simming. Also took some time off during summer, about 2 1/2 months actually. My HOTAS does have dust on it. :slight_smile:

@near_blind really likes his low cloud cover. This is how it looks with the experimental clouds:

Example if you’re too lazy to click on a link:

1 Like

That last shot loooks very very good.

Hows the drain on the computers brain?

On my computer it’s not much. About 5-10fps on Nevada which still runs at +60fps most of the time. On the Caucasus map it doesn’t make a big difference for me. I guess there are other bottlenecks.

However, if you have an older NVIDIA GPU they might have a huge performance impact. A buddy of mine has two 980ti’s but the clouds get him down to less than 20fps in some situations. Doesn’t matter if he’s using SLI or not.

If you have 10XX series card it’s definitely worth a try though.