PMDG DC-6 for X-Plane

Pretty cool and telling that Froogle says this is (in his opinion) one of the most groundbreaking and complex aircraft that PMDG has ever done (period).

2 Likes

Sounds exciting!

1 Like

Looks like it may have been released today:

http://www.precisionmanuals.com/ProductCart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=26

1 Like

Hell of a better price tag too :wink:

So anybody got this yet? I’m interested in the performance of the plane mainly the FPS compared to other X plane add ons. I want to get this but not sure if my computer will handle it. I meet min requirements but not recommended. Just curious as to what other add on it closely compares to FPS performance wise.

Man, that Apple tax is pretty steep on this one. I know they sip venti mocha’s and wear alpaca wool turtlenecks, but going OSX is really high end stuff on X-Plane… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nah…I’m still waiting for the Rotate MD-80 to go on sale. I’m not a big early adopter. I’d love to have it…but I’m not gonna be shelling out a bunch of money for an airplane I’m only partially interested in. I’m mostly interested in the technical aspects of it rather than the actual type of plane.

1 Like

I guess 12 million is that point you start paying VAT or something. Smart pricing bringing it just under…

1 Like

Sounds like the PMDG we’ve all come to know and love. The avsim forums might be a good place to start though.

1 Like

Well, I suppose it depends on how badly you want the DC-6, because from what I’ve understand is that it is a fine aircraft still.

Is is very nice. And I personally know one of the developers very well (we used to mountain bike together) and I can tell you he is one of the coolest and nicest guys in the world. They all have a passion for what they do, pour their heart and soul into it, and have to come out the other end with a profit to make a living. Like all development teams, they are composed of good and bad personalities, and some are better and worse at PR (just like some are better and worse at making promo videos…lol…). And the FS community is a notoriously demanding crowd with a lot of technically brilliant people - who tend to be pretty vocal because they have both the background and education to make a point (regardless of validity).

All of that said - is the DC-6 worth $70? I’d say - it depends. To me, I’d have to be a real fan of that airplane and the era…like a true enthusiast because that would be where the appeal is. The automated Flight Engineer that can do a lot of the work for you is very, very cool (or you can assume the role of the entire crew and do it all yourself). The verbal callouts (which are very extensive) and overall quality of the whole module really does elevate it beyond the $50 price point of some add-ons.

To be honest, I’m not even sure what the “normal” price point is these days. I’ve always thought that there were “budget” addons that only lightly model systems, or model systems well, but are fairly straightforward aircraft. Then mid-range modeling (think Carenado), and finally the high end stuff like PMDG and VMAX. So like tiers of $20, $40, $60. Obviously you have stuff that comes in under and over. And I’ve overpaid for stuff that I really, really wanted because I’m a fan, and I’ve underpaid for stuff that I can’t believe they sell for so cheap (the An-24RV used to be $10, now it is free!).

And finally - I’ll probably do a DC-6 review for the site at some point in the near future. The only reason I didn’t was that I wrote a DC-6 review for the magazine I write for, and I try my level best not to conflict with my editor’s plans or undercut my fellow author’s contributions.

1 Like

To be fair, most developers don’t respond too well when being told they aren’t doing their support very well. PMDG isn’t the first, the last or even the only one that has those problems.

It’s a bit baffling overall