Pro Flight Trainer Helicopter Collective Lever: Set Up, Gameplay and Impressions

I recently got myself a collective from Pro Flight Trainer, here is a video rundown of its features, installation and gameplay.

Overall, it’s pretty good, but quite expensive for what it is!

9 Likes

Welcome @Hunchy! Thanks for posting!

Welcome!

Welcome @Hunchy!
Thank you for the video review. Interesting!

Thanks all!

There seems to be a dearth of information on collectives out there. Hopefully this video helps remedy that situation slightly.

4 Likes

It looks pretty awesome! :grin:

Here is direct site link with that colective :

https://pro-flight-trainer-com.myshopify.com/collections/spare-parts/products/adjustable-collective-arm-with-throttle-box-and-zone-switch

I cant see a reason why any sim cant support it. After all its just two axis joystick with some buttons.

1 Like

My only issue with something like this is that I may crash onto it the next time I fall through my ceiling. :open_mouth:

(Too soon? :grin:)

8 Likes

@B12

Glad you found the video helpful!

I think $249 is expensive for what is essentially a two axis joystick with a few buttons, as Nevo mentioned.

I am also watching Virpil’s up and coming collective with a lot of interest. It is modeled on the Blackshark collective so should be pretty accurate. The Pro Flight Trainer collective could definitely do with more physical buttons and a hat / mini stick.

Besides the sims you mentioned, XPlane also has a range of helicopters with collective support. They even have a Huey. I am tempted to get it to see how it compares with the DCS version.

I completely understand what you mean about using a throttle axis as a collective, it just feels weird and unnatural. Getting a proper collective is a huge improvement and makes me feel a bit better about the $$$ I forked out to buy it.

1 Like

Sure, good video review @Hunchy.
I appreciate that you used ‘running text’. It enabled me to watch it the way I like it = without sound :slight_smile:

On the other hand I am once again reminded to finaly finish my diy colective.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s not a bad price for a collective and twist grip. It also looks easily mod’able, whether it’s to add a 3D printed collective grip with more buttons or a bicycle brake on the underside for collective friction.

1 Like

Yes, you can assign both throttle and collective axis in FSX.

I tested it with default Bell206.
To control collective you have to assign your physical collective axis to ‘throttle axis’ in game.
To control throttle you have to assign your physical twist grip axis to ‘propeller axis’ in game.

But… This works for the Bell206. It doesn’t work for default R22 ( for the reason unknown ).

So I guess the functionality will depend on implementation of particular module developer.

On the other hand not all helicopters have twist grip to control throttle(s) .

And from my point of view twist grip is not necessary feature of collective joystick. During normal operations you use it only for startup and shutdown.
In modern helicopters you don’t even touch the throttles. FADEC rulez! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@SierraAlphaMike

I was thinking along the same lines about modding it too. May be adding a mini stick and a few more buttons via a Leo Bodnar Board. Installing friction dampers looks quite simple too as this guy as has done.

@NEVO

And from my point of view twist grip is not necessary feature of collective joystick. During normal operations you use it only for startup and shutdown.

That’s true, I hardly use the twist grip throttle at all. Still nice to have it for authenticity’s sake though.

1 Like

I agree, especially when one fly mostly Hueys.

2 Likes