4 Likes

She certainly will be missed.

4 Likes

I don’t think its possible.

3 Likes

I have to agree

2 Likes

RIP. Hard times.

EDIT: I just realized that it will take some time to get used to saying “King Charles III.”

3 Likes

And also a new picture on all coins, bank notes and stamps

1 Like

Well, that explains it … pure coincidence … I was in London ONTARIO today doing my thing and a CF-18 flies in from the north, kicks it into afterburner while making a turn towards the east. I was like, what’s going on? What a roar!

Wow, Elizabeth trained as a driver and mechanic in the Territorial Auxiliary Service during the war! …

RIP

5 Likes

A remarkable woman who lived in extraordinary times.

RIP

2 Likes

As an American , i have always had difficulty understanding the need for royals , so antithetical to everything i was taught , and still believe .
But given all the nihilism rampant in the US today , I envy our friends across the pond their source of “continuity and stability” , so well-embodied in the late and lamented Queen . Perhaps Churchill was right .

2 Likes

Seeing the Queen and vehicles always reminds me of that one time in the early 2000s when she offered the Saudi crown prince a tour of her estate in Scotland, and shocked him by driving the Land Rover over the gravel roads herself, apparently at a speed that made him ask her to please drive more slowly.

And I am not sure if it is true, but I once read a fun story about her (and her husband IIRC) traveling in a car (somewhere in Africa, a long time ago) and the car apparently broke down, which prompted her to get out of the car and take a look at the engine to figure out what’s wrong, which was a surprise to the people around her.

6 Likes

I just watched the BBC tribute…

What a life she’s lived!

3 Likes

As she was a mechanic in the Auxiliary Terrority Service, I can believe it. To quote from an article " She underwent a six-week auto mechanic training course at Aldershot in Surrey, and by July had risen from the rank of Second Subaltern to Junior Commander. She learned how to deconstruct, repair and rebuild engines and change tires, and learned how to drive every type of machine she worked on, including jeeps, trucks and ambulances. As a 1947 Collier’s magazine article noted of the overalls-clad teen, “One of her major joys was to get dirt under her nails and grease stains in her hands, and display these signs of labor to her friends"

3 Likes

This alone endears her to me, despite her being a monarch and me being an anarchist :wink: England and the commonwealth have been so lucky to have this person as a figurehead. She may not have had much power, but what she had she yielded with wisdom and charity. I am certain of that.

3 Likes

I was driving north bound over ‘Cock Bridge’ in the Highlands of Scotland in the late 70’s. A steep bridge closer to a triangle rather than a curve and very single track. A very high risk of grounding. Three Land Rovers traveling the other direction gave way to me. My boss (HMQ) was driving the first one with other royals. The back one had the security team.

5 Likes