Quest 3 mixed reality flying…

I thought this was pretty cool.

I am intrigued by the concept of mixed reality. Real cockpit hardware on the inside and VR outside…

11 Likes

I think mixed reality is probably the future of training and simulation for everything but multicrew aircraft.

3 Likes

And i was just about to say “training” too. Looks awesome

1 Like

Varjo are already deep into this with their XR-3 and the upcoming XR-4.

I don’t see why not?
All crew members would need VR googles with pass through, obviously, seated in the same cockpit.
But imagine doing multicrew training in a mixed reality environment via multiplayer…

2 Likes

Fair point.

what does this mean in your case? :slight_smile:

I wonder if the best solution, for me, is a physical cockpit and VR outside view…
That or if someone solves naked hand tracking that is good enough for manipulating switches and knobs.

I’m probably stating the obvious again, but my initial reaction is that it will be extremely useful for cockpit builders/operators. A way to combine the super realistic virtual with the physical world. Most likely a boon for those companies building sim hardware. Seems ironic that VR only pilots might one day seem as minimal or entry level.

Oculus does a pretty good job of naked hand tracking, albeit it doesn’t work in PCLink mode. I’m hoping that they solve this, because if they do, it would solve our need to purchase remotes.

Will it be so precise that one can manipulate switches in two directions and turn knobs…?
I think that actual physical switches and knobs will be better than hand tracking. At least in the near future…

Very interesting stuff!

A software that creates a passthrough image of your hands and the immediate area around them.

2 Likes